Video Files on Forum ×

The Sample Looper

Display Name

I figured I was start a thread on the XW-G1 sample looper to: A) Have a good resource on his cool feature, B) Learn for myself how to use it!  :huh: 

I am trying to use the looper to do some overdubs like in this video: http://youtu.be/tVJZVnfahuw?t=14m12s
(Starts at around 14 min in case it doesn't automatically start there).

Couple of questions:

1: How to clear the looper out and start fresh

2: How do I make it so the step seq. starts with the looper recording so I can record the drums, etc.?

Any tips and tricks are appreciated!  :) 

To answer you're question how I do it its not necessarily how you should do it ,Its all a matter of you're own workflow.

Question 1:

My Tip 1:

I clear the Looper when I switch between the Looper and Sseq mode.

In a live recording situation while the G1 plays the Sseq pressing the "Record" button brings up Looper mode.

Pressing the "Yes" button steps the Looper one bank forward out off  the ''Temp" bank

doing this clears the temporary memory where the G1 records them to first.

After that I press "No" button to come back at the Looper bank of choice I do select a bank for hand, If a sample is to my liking I can save it directly to the required bank, The write option menu let you also choose to which bank you want to save.

In live recording sometimes a good piece comes out when I do several takes playing a Sseq and clearing the looper in the background.

My Tip 2:

Since there is one temp bank to work with you have to make sure to save you're work because switching Performances clears the temp bank. This is also useful to clear the Looper. In performance mode you can select a Looper bank to play or record from, If you do a live recording this is helpful because the Sseq can switch seamlessly on one another this give you freedom to record at each performances as you like.

Its all a matter of you're workflow to make it work.

Question 2: 

The Looper has several recording options to record a sample loop I mostly use Norm-AT recording for the purpose of a drum loop.

When you press and hold  the "Record" button once the Looper menu comes up.

Press again the recording menu comes available. Here you can select you're recording options.

When the required recording options is chosen  pressing the menu button will give another Looper menu.

In this menu the sample rate, channels (mono/stereo) and OverDub can be set. 

Pressing the Record button again arms the Looper for recording you'll see that the Looper button will flash on and off.

Norm-AT will record once you start playing directly on the key's or start a Step-sequence during the length you've selected.

Once the Looper has reach the full sample sequence length the Sseq will automatically stop however the Looper still continue's.

Depending if you've chosen for OVDB "on" or "off" the looper will either loop and record anything for input,

Or loop the current sample without recording anything you can always arm the Looper by pressing Record again.

You can choose for overdub "on" by pressing the menu button, But you need to get in the sample recording type menu.

This can be done by press the Record button if you're not in sample Looper.

With overdub "on" the sample Looper will go on recording  in a loop fashion after the first sample gets recorded.

The display will show a full bar that runs from left to right and again.

If overdub is ''off'' the Looper will play the current sample while flashing the record button this mean its armed and ready to record anything. When you press it again the display will show a single bar that runs from left to right and again.

Pressing ''Play/Stop"  button stop the sample player/recording.

Pressing play/stop will play the sample.

To arm the sample player for recording when you've stopped it press and hold the record button.

The Looper will ask you to continue to overdub you may press Record and continue,

Or choose another record type for sampling by pressing the no/yes button.

With the G1 once you're samples are done you can use the assignable knobs for ADSR ,reverb and EQ. 

(edit I wish to could shorten the text down simpler but I have to think long about how without making writing mistakes :) )

Edited by XW-Addict
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

To answer you're question how I do it its not necessarily how you should do it ,Its all a matter of you're own workflow.

Question 1:

My Tip 1:

I clear the Looper when I switch between the Looper and Sseq mode.

In a live recording situation while the G1 plays the Sseq pressing the "Record" button brings up Looper mode.

Pressing the "Yes" button steps the Looper one bank forward out off  the ''Temp" bank

doing this clears the temporary memory where the G1 records them to first.

After that I press "No" button to come back at the Looper bank of choice I do select a bank for hand, If a sample is to my liking I can save it directly to the required bank, The write option menu let you also choose to which bank you want to save.

In live recording sometimes a good piece comes out when I do several takes playing a Sseq and clearing the looper in the background.

My Tip 2:

Since there is one temp bank to work with you have to make sure to save you're work because switching Performances clears the temp bank. This is also useful to clear the Looper. In performance mode you can select a Looper bank to play or record from, If you do a live recording this is helpful because the Sseq can switch seamlessly on one another this give you freedom to record at each performances as you like.

Its all a matter of you're workflow to make it work.

Good info XW-Addict...I have a question about the temp area & the other banks:

How do you alternate with other banks dynamically in live performances?

My sampling experience is using the Kaos Pad & Koassilator Pro 4 sampling banks. With the XW-G1, I haven't figured out how to use the other sampling banks other than the temp bank for live sampling which means, I make a mistake recording a new layer into the temp bank, I have to start the sampling over from the begining or just let the mistake keep playing and add the next layer into the temp bank. I need to use another bank to record the new layer in so if I make a mistake I can just resample the new layer bank and not the whole thing. Thanks

Good info XW-Addict...I have a question about the temp area & the other banks:

How do you alternate with other banks dynamically in live performances?

My sampling experience is using the Kaos Pad & Koassilator Pro 4 sampling banks. With the XW-G1, I haven't figured out how to use the other sampling banks other than the temp bank for live sampling which means, I make a mistake recording a new layer into the temp bank, I have to start the sampling over from the begining or just let the mistake keep playing and add the next layer into the temp bank. I need to use another bank to record the new layer in so if I make a mistake I can just resample the new layer bank and not the whole thing. Thanks

One way I do it is using multi-key to what I call, 

sample bank performances where I've set assigned an

Looper bank to each performance to switch to. It means

multiple performance of the same kind with each a different

bank assignment for the Looper. I'm trying to figure out if

NRPN can be used instead, At the moment I'm focusing 

on creating my song performances.

The sampling functionality isn't coupled much to performance or

Sseq mode. Its a good thing multi-key can apply the needed switching.

If an sample is not working out as  expected "I know right ;("  

doing an overdub on the temp bank is the only way to go,

but in a live play you have to sync Sseq sequence and stop

the sample Looper to flush the temp by selecting the proper 

recording type and start over.

Its an pretty smooth process only when you record a beat

or phrase not while you play the key's in the process. 

But it nails the Groove kinda thing pretty right.

• Like 1

One way I do it is using multi-key to what I call, 

sample bank performances where I've set assigned an

Looper bank to each performance to switch to. It means

multiple performance of the same kind with each a different

bank assignment for the Looper. I'm trying to figure out if

NRPN can be used instead, At the moment I'm focusing 

on creating my song performances.

The sampling functionality isn't coupled much to performance or

Sseq mode. Its a good thing multi-key can apply the needed switching.

If an sample is not working out as  expected "I know right ;("  

doing an overdub on the temp bank is the only way to go,

but in a live play you have to sync Sseq sequence and stop

the sample Looper to flush the temp by selecting the proper 

recording type and start over.

Its an pretty smooth process only when you record a beat

or phrase not while you play the key's in the process. 

But it nails the Groove kinda thing pretty right.

Thanks XW-Addict! As always you are full of great information! I didn't know it was possible to do anything with the sampler/looper with multi-keys, I will study that area of functionality again. Also great idea of switching performances to switch looper banks. I'll study the performance mode again too.