Piano Sample

smithh

New to forum, and very intrigued by the PX 5S. Something about the sounds draws me to this instrument. May I ask ... some people say that the quality of a piano can be somewhat judged by the size of the sample. Can Casio share any details of the sample itself in the PX 5S, e.g. what piano was sampled, from what positions, number of samples across keyboard, for each velocity range, length of samples (sustain), etc. What size ROM? Apology is this is a somewhat naive question, but I've not seen this aspect discussed elsewhere. 

the size for the ROM Waves is about 128MB including all Waves...but  i tell you a piano is not only made from the wave size but also from the DSP controlling it and the A.I.R is adding a lot

of the natural feeling oif a real piano to the samples so best is to try out a PX5 at you local store...

so best is to try out a PX5 at you local store...

and be aware it's very editable and their are a number of tweaked versions available for download on the forum including ones offer a narrower dynamic range. For some players, the dynamic response may seem too wide or difficult to control.

New to forum, and very intrigued by the PX 5S. Something about the sounds draws me to this instrument. May I ask ... some people say that the quality of a piano can be somewhat judged by the size of the sample. Can Casio share any details of the sample itself in the PX 5S, e.g. what piano was sampled, from what positions, number of samples across keyboard, for each velocity range, length of samples (sustain), etc. What size ROM? Apology is this is a somewhat naive question, but I've not seen this aspect discussed elsewhere. 

Size isn't everything. The PX-5S compares very favorably to the Ravencroft VST which uses 35 gb, while the PX-5S uses no where near that amount of memory. That is the magic of the Casio engineering, their custom LSI chips and digital signal processing.  I will also say: as great as the PX-5S sounds in online demos, it sounds SO much better when you are playing it live.

If you have the chance to play it in a music store, bring your own (quality) headphones or ask to borrow a pair so you can experience the true sound.   :)

the size for the ROM Waves is about 128MB including all Waves...but  i tell you a piano is not only made from the wave size but also from the DSP controlling it and the A.I.R is adding a lot

of the natural feeling oif a real piano to the samples so best is to try out a PX5 at you local store...

I managed to find one at a store and played it for about 2 hours. It is impressive. 

• Like 1

I managed to find one at a store and played it for about 2 hours. It is impressive. 

Glad you were able to test one out. Also, there is a whole new "best of soundset" (free download in this site's download area) that many are using to replace the default presets that are currently installed.   As impressive as the original set is, the new one really takes it to the next level. 

Glad you were able to test one out. Also, there is a whole new "best of soundset" (free download in this site's download area) that many are using to replace the default presets that are currently installed.   As impressive as the original set is, the new one really takes it to the next level. 

I've kind of fallen in love with the sound of this instrument and am seriously considering buying one. But I worry about:

- the white case getting dirty

- whether the buttons will stand up to repeated use

- the quality of the knobs and sliders

In short - this is a totally intriguing instrument - but I worry about build quality.

From the community's experience with this and other Casio gear, do I need to worry?

I too am curious as to what pianos were used for the samples. I asked sometime ago, but never got an answer (proprietary secret?). Part of my understanding of the quality of the sounds is due to the 6x over-sampling, where many top brands are only 4x. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can explain this...

I've kind of fallen in love with the sound of this instrument and am seriously considering buying one. But I worry about:

- the white case getting dirty

- whether the buttons will stand up to repeated use

- the quality of the knobs and sliders

In short - this is a totally intriguing instrument - but I worry about build quality.

From the community's experience with this and other Casio gear, do I need to worry?

I've had mine for about a year and a half and play it quite a bit. No issues with any of the concerns you listed.

For the dirt issue: If you think about it, ALL keyboards have white plastic keys. That being the area that gets the most use, dirt doesn't seem to be a problem on any of my keyboards. If  you do happen to get a smudge, just wipe with a slightly damp cloth dipped in some mild dish soap solution. 

As far as the build quality, Casio knows how to put things together and make them last. There are a ton of  Casio keyboards from the 80s still ticking today.  In the UK, you will either get a 2 or 3 year warranty on the PX-5S (sorry I don't know exactly which one),