PX5s clunking keys.

Bouncy Nugget

His PX 5S had the same noise, so I imagine it is inherent to the design. 

I thought as much, since every other Casio i have played does this. I wouldn't be bothered if those few special notes that have a loud clanking noise along with the inherent clunk weren't doing what they do. In the audio clip i posted, you can clearly tell the second set of notes and trill i play have a very distinguished clank to them opposed to the first set of notes which have a normal thud sound. This is what i'm trying to get rid of, but i cannot find the source of the noise :(

• 4 weeks later...

Well, i've given up on the quest for quietness. I think what is going on is where the metal arm has the rubber end that sits inside the hook of the plastic key tops (see Jokeyman123's mod thread) there is extra space and so when the key springs back up the metal arm wobbles around a little bit making a rattling noise. This noise only happens on some keys and has nothing to do with the amount of padding under the metal arms. The noise comes from directly below the key tops where you place your fingers.

I didn't think to check if the rubber ends of the loud keys were compressed in comparison to the keys that aren't so loud, and i didn't notice any broken plastic on the keys.

OH WELL lolol

• 1 month later...

I have been playing on a PX 5S Privia for 6 months and have noticed that the loosened keys make a rattling noise when going up.

I had the same experience with a Privia PX 350. CASIO had accepted to change it. I was hopping that the PX 5 S would have been more discret but it is not the case.

So I am happy to find this post.

Thanks Bouncy Nugget and Jokeyman123.

Jokeyman 123, your thread on PX 350 seems to bring an issue. I realize that i will have to follow your example . ... At my own risk ?!

• 1 year later...

Hi, folks.

I love my Privia 5SX--best piano samples on the stage piano market, and nice functionality, but I also am vexed by the key clunking--mine happens on the upstroke and has worsened with time. I use the Privia as my main studio controller and gigging instrument.

MY SOLUTION-- DUCT TAPE THE RESCUE!!!

I developed a little external work-around that has been effective without opening the box. It doesn't affect the down struck, but it does quiet the clunkier upstrokes a lot. It looks a bit funky and it doesn't interfere with playing.  I've done about 15 keys and keep adding as they get clunky.

See photos.

STEPS:

- strip a 2 ft. length of white duct tape, width narrower than the width of the white key section between the black keys.

-fold up a 1/3" section about 15 times to create pad

-leave a small tab (about 1/3") 

-with needle nose pliers or tweezers, slip the pad between the base of the key (white keys only) and the felt edge of the casing.

-trial and error... if there is still clunking, re-do with more layers.  if the key is not rebounding fully, try fewer layers.

- I've had some of these in place for a while and they hold up.

- I've only done this with the white keys... interestingly, the black keys don't seem to clunk like the whites.. I guess the whites are larger with more leverage and compress the felt bushings more.

I also have a 330, which does not have this problem.

Good luck.

duct tape pad.jpg

duct tape pad 2.jpg

• 3 months later...

I'm posting an easy solution to "clunking", "clattering" keys here in hopes that it will help others with the same problem.  Richard Scher's solution above was my inspiration and mine is more aesthetically pleasing if I do say so myself.

My PX350's keys have been "clattering" for some time and got to the point where playing it was no longer enjoyable.  The problem so far only affects white keys that are not separated by a black key, in other words the B, C, E, and F keys.  As well, the problem I have is only on the upstroke after the key is released.

Instead of using duct tape as in Richard's solution I bought some white foam tape used for household insulation.  It's about 1 cm in width and has adhesive backing which I didn't use.  I cut a piece of the tape around 8cm in length and had to fold it over 3 times to get the correct thickness.  Buying thicker tape or just thicker plain foam would have made it easier.  I then pressed the 2 problem white keys down and wedged the foam between the key and the felt as in the picture, similar to what Richard did.  The foam stays in place without adhesive!

You can barely see the foam because it's white and it plays pretty much close to perfectly, it doesn't affect the touch of the key and the clattering is gone!  The jury's still out on how long it will last, but it's been staying in place and not clattering so far....

IMG_9840.JPG

IMG_9839.JPG

• Like 1

Guess you all haven't read my posts about my PX350 here somewhere. Check it out, just search on my posts you'll find it!  it will answer most of your questions including pictures I posted showing inside the PX. It is a rather lengthy discussion about this including how to take apart a Casio to rebuild it if you have no warranty and are pretty skilled with this type of repair work. I've done this on several keyboards, Casios and others. No need to re-invent the wheel. I spent hours on this.

I had to rebuild my entire keyboard felt structure as the internal felt gets compressed and worn pretty rapidly at least on mine. and with the steel fulcrum arms that are very narrow0this creates almost a "knifeblade" shaped footprint-very narrow and makes a deep dent in the factory felt if you play every day as i do. There are 2 multilayer felt strips inside the key assembly, one when the key hits bottom, and one when it swings back up. Despite these strips being pretty thick from the factory, I needed to re-inforce both to quiet mine. And the PX5s is identical as far as the mechanicals.

Another part of the problem is that there is direct contact between where the fulcrum arm hits when the key is released, and the plastic bottom of the PX with only a relatively thin strip of piano felt separating the 2 so the case will amplify the sound of the fulcrum when released.

Whatever you do, i would not put duct tape anywhere near anything on this, except your keyboard stand! It deteriorates over time and leaves an awful gum residue that can't be removed with anything except paint thinner, WD40 (also dangerous around keyboards as it deteriorates plastic!) or dish detergent and elbow grease. I also ended up using weatherstripping for mykeyboard mods, but the heavier gray insulating felt which damps the sound quite well, such as used around window sashes and door frames (I use it for that too which is how I got the idea in the first place!  Again, i have pics posted showing what I used. Hope it helps.

Au contraire Jokeyman I've read your posts numerous times in detail as well as many others here and elsewhere.  I was so impressed by your work, but it was beyond my capabilities and patience level.

As impressive as your fix was, mine took about 5 minutes and completely solved the problem, at least the problem I was having.

Again, and like your posts, hopefully it will help others.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I should clarify/repeat that my solution was done on a PX350, not a PX5S but it seems that the problems are similar, so hopefully the solution will work on either.  I did post a topic in the Privia x50 x60 forum with a link to here in case anyone looks there with the same issue.

I don't know how subjective the talk of clunky keys is in this forum, although there does appear to be a lot of posts. I have just acquired a Casio PX360 here in the UK for a very good price, brand new with the extended Casio warranty. Arriving in a couple of days. This Casio's keys will be measured against our Yamaha Clavinova CLP-360 (pure coincidence on the numbers!). Years old but great piano, imo. If it is quieter than the Yamaha, then I won't be fiddling with draught strips :D.

Update:

I received my PX360 today. Over the moon with it. Same noise level, I would say, as my Clavinova. I am not fussed right now, but I will monitor it. If things change over time then I will do your mod, LJG. Love the keyboard, love the feel, love the screen, love the sounds! One happy chappy. 😎

Edited by Jimbo Crimbo
Update

Jimbo, just a heads up, the clattering sound on my PX350 didn't start happening until I had the piano for a couple of months or so, then proceeded to get worse over time.  I hope this doesn't happen for you of course!

I should add that it's been about 2 months since I "fixed" mine and it's still working like a charm.

• 11 months later...

I realize this is an old topic but thought I would add my 2 cents worth as I was just searching "PX-5 keybed noise". I purchased my Px-5s 3 years ago and have in general been satisfied with it. I have gradually moved away from using onboard sounds and now use the PX exclusively as a midi controller. I've gotten much more serious about playing piano and have been taking jazz piano skype lessons for about 6 months. This has resulted in my becoming  more aware of the sensitivity of the keyboard. The Px-5's velocity response for soft versus forceful strikes is pretty good, but I have become increasingly dissatisfied with how noisy the keybed is. It wasn't any issue when I was playing the PX in a band scenerio but solo, the noise is distracting. If I wear closed-cell headphones it's not a problem, but who wants to wear head phones all the time? It's to the point that I am seriously considering selling the PX and purchasing a good midi controller such as the Roland A-88 or Studio Logic SL88. I've also been looking at the M-Audio Hammer 88.

Any thoughts a bout alternative midi controller keyboards with decent (and quiet) hammer action?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I have a question for Jokeyman123.

And for everyone had opened their Casio. Or even the Power that Be that have access to the service manuals.

When you opened the keyboard have you noticed some greasing or uneven greasing of the key mechanism?

Because seems that some Kawai stage piano can become noisy, and the solution is a correct regresing of the key mechanism.

If it's an uneven grease application in the factory, it could explain a lot of things, especially the rattling sounds.

There are a few keys which virtually have never been used on my PX(highest and lowest notes).

They produce the same amount of noise as middle ones. It is a loud noise.

The most significant noise is created when keys go up(released).

This is a well-known problem.
It is good that people keep talking about it.
Maybe next NAMM we will see the next generation of Casio keyboard.

On 1/15/2018 at 3:06 PM, leeskeys said:

I realize this is an old topic but thought I would add my 2 cents worth as I was just searching "PX-5 keybed noise". I purchased my Px-5s 3 years ago and have in general been satisfied with it. I have gradually moved away from using onboard sounds and now use the PX exclusively as a midi controller. I've gotten much more serious about playing piano and have been taking jazz piano skype lessons for about 6 months. This has resulted in my becoming  more aware of the sensitivity of the keyboard. The Px-5's velocity response for soft versus forceful strikes is pretty good, but I have become increasingly dissatisfied with how noisy the keybed is. It wasn't any issue when I was playing the PX in a band scenerio but solo, the noise is distracting. If I wear closed-cell headphones it's not a problem, but who wants to wear head phones all the time? It's to the point that I am seriously considering selling the PX and purchasing a good midi controller such as the Roland A-88 or Studio Logic SL88. I've also been looking at the M-Audio Hammer 88.

Any thoughts a bout alternative midi controller keyboards with decent (and quiet) hammer action?

Unfortunately(or fortunately), I went this way a couple of years ago.

In my experience, Roland provides the best solution to the problem.

I had FA-08 and do not know whether A-88 has the same keyboard. (most likely it does)

Yamaha is a little bit noisier (tapping noise).

Responding to the question about keyboard grease, which i did find slobbered all over the XW-P1 mechanism. But no, not much on the PX350, and this was not the cause of the problem. It is the felt strips......felt strips.......felt strips.......there needs to be thicker felt strips, which will compact over time, even if it sits! Because the fulcrum arm ends are narrow and heavy, and slice into the felt like a dull butter knife. OK, there it is. Another solution-make the weighted hammer ends that rest on the felt strips flatter-it would at least prevent the felt from compressing quickly but I'd still want thicker felt. My 350 is quieter than my new PX560, after I modded it with......thicker felt! On top and bottom-it needs both.

The keybed on the Casio digital pianos seems to be noisier than some other brands, and it gets louder over a period of years. When I sold my PX5 I had been using it for 3 years. By that time the middle section of the keyboard was definitely noiser and than the lower and upper extremes and the keys were looser. Still very playable, but noisy. The Roland A-88 I now own has a very quiet keybed

• Like 1