CZ Waveforms

BrettM

File Name: CZ Waveforms

File Submitter: Brett M

File Submitted: 14 Oct 2014

File Category: XW-Synths

I've got a pretty good idea of what square, saw and sine waves look like, but I've always wondered about the CZ waveforms in the solo synth; so I recorded a brief sample of each and took a screen shot of them in Audacity. Many of them seem a lot more complex compared to the standard synth waves, so not sure how I will use them other than choosing them for their raw sound. I would be interested in other people's observations and comments. Note that they are not all shown at the same scale.

Click here to download this file

• Like 2

I've got a pretty good idea of what square, saw and sine waves look like, but I've always wondered about the CZ waveforms in the solo synth; so I recorded a brief sample of each and took a screen shot of them in Audacity. Many of them seem a lot more complex compared to the standard synth waves, so not sure how I will use them other than choosing them for their raw sound. I would be interested in other people's observations and comments. Note that they are not all shown at the same scale.

The CZ's phase distortion method make the waveforms more complex. Read up: B)  

http://www.electricdruid.net/index.php?page=info.pdsynthesis

• Like 1

I have read that the CZ double sine wave is good for open filter analogue synth sounds and organ tones. Also that the saw pulse is a sort of mellower sounding saw wave.

The reso waves were designed to simulate a filter sweep using the "digitally controlled waveshaper" (DCW) which does the phase distortion instead of via a resonant filter which was not present in the CZs. Not sure how these would be used in an XW which has a filter instead of a DCW.

Has anyone tried to recreate some of the CZ patches on an XW?

The images are very interesting.

Thank you.

The CZ's phase distortion method make the waveforms more complex. Read up: B)  

http://www.electricdruid.net/index.php?page=info.pdsynthesis

That is super.

Thank you.