Can anyone help with Privia X130 problem?

walkmanhua
Go to solution Solved by Jokeyman123,

Hi! I have a Casio Privia X130. It's 3 years old now. I've only been using the classical piano sound to practice. Recently that particular sound became off. When I choose classical piano and press some keys, there will be random noise instead of the correct tone. All other sound works just fine. Any idea how bad the problem is and how to get it fixed? I've checked repair stores and a bit worried about $80/hr rate... Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Sorry Scott! I didn't mean to post multiple times but I didn't realize the two forums were viewed by a similar group... But thanks for confirming... Do you happen to know any good (and low cost) repair store in Atlanta? I noticed you're from FL but just thought it didn't hurt to ask... Thanks in advance!

Sorry Scott! I didn't mean to post multiple times but I didn't realize the two forums were viewed by a similar group... But thanks for confirming... Do you happen to know any good (and low cost) repair store in Atlanta? I noticed you're from FL but just thought it didn't hurt to ask... Thanks in advance!

LOL - I was just busting chops!  The keyboard world is a very small one, after all.  :)   If you don't already know, Mike Martin is "Mr. Casio", so once you get answer from him you can rest assured you have the correct one. 

Here's the contact info for the authorized Casio Service Center: 

Wizard Electronics

1438 Tullie Road, N. E.

Atlanta, GA  30329

404-325-4891

www.wizardelectronics.com

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.. 

There IS some diagnostic work you can perform yourself before you shell out a couple of hundred to a technician to get it fixed.

First of all when does this random noise appear and what does it sound like?  Is it like a scratchy noise or a distorted sound or an electrical hum?

Secondly what causes the noise in the first place?  Does it only happen when you play certain keys?  Does it occur when the wires are bumped or moved?  Does it only occur at certain volume settings?

Before you haul the entire keyboard in for repairs, have you tested it with a different amp and speakers and have you tested it with a good quality set of headphones?

Does the noise get worse when you jiggle the knobs (especially the volume knob or slider?) or if you jiggle the wires?

Have you tried it without having the pedals hooked up to see if that makes a difference?

Basically before you bring it in for troubleshooting by a pro, it helps if you can narrow down the cause of the noise yourself.  Then you can get a realistic estimate for the repair rather than just shoving it at a tech and saying "Fix it.  Money's no object."

If the cause is something simple like a sratchy potentiometer or a loose output jack, then sometimes you can save a bundle by performing a quick fix by yourself.

Gary

• Like 1

• Solution

Not to sound discouraging, but this is a weird one. Sounds like  it might be a software "glitch" but odd that it would affect only the one tone. Since all the variations of the acoustic piano are coming from the same set of samples (I think) it is odd that only the classical piano setting would do this. Does this happen when you access this tone through a pre-recorded song? It is possible it has something to do with the DSP setting stored with this one tone, since variations in the DSP settings (filters, brightness, reverb etc.) vary from tone to tone and are stored with that unique tone. Try playing the piano through a midi connection if you have another midi keyboard, or through a software sequencer if possible. I don't see a procedure for restting the PX-130 in the manual but this sometimes clears these types of problems if there is a way to do that.  And I agree, Mike Martin is the go-to man on this type of problem.  He is very knowledgeable and is "Casio support"!

I don't see a procedure for restting the PX-130 in the manual but this sometimes clears these types of problems if there is a way to do that.  And I agree, Mike Martin is the go-to man on this type of problem.  He is very knowledgeable and is "Casio support"!

Mike stated over in the KC thread (same poster, same issue) that just turning the PX-130 off and on resets it. I agree he is the go-to man for this: if he said it needs to be serviced, I would take his word for it.

Question for Scott-what is the other forum you mentioned here, I'd like to take a look and subscribe to it. I know there is a forum with much Casio info at www.musicplayer.com I think it is called (don't have my bookmarks on this computer) where I read Craig Anderton's assessment of the XW series which was my original source before I found this one and led me to purchasing the XW-P1. Thanks.