My first thoughts on WK7600,plus grand piano setting, need some help

carlos

Hello

Finally Im able to post. Im a long time owner of a Wk 3300. I loved that keyboard the tones rythm patterns and ease of use.

BUT with time I felt I needed better key action and better grand piano sound.

well long story short after revewing for years,buying a low end Yamaha only to find out my casio blew him out of the water.....I finally thought of giving the CASIO WK7600 a try. Got rid of my WK 3300 and some gear and there you go.

I was so sure that it was an imnproved version of the WK 3300 that I didnt even tried it in the store. I know my bad...

So today,the mailman comes,I was soooo excited about this new board.

The keys felt great,the grand piano sound didnt impress me I started to feel like oh oh... but the vintage EPs where amazing. plenty of great sounding rhodes without any effect and layer.Every rhodes model is there,with phaser effects included and everything...

So I went back to the Grand pianos and devoted myself to make it sound like my favourite grand piano sound.That grand piano was only in my imagination until today. I was playing a real grand last week so I guess that helped me setting the sound.Even though I didnt enjoy much the sound of that real grand ...but thats another story..

So after 30min tweeking this is what I came up with. I dont know about you but Im a baladder,singer pianist,jazz and fusion soul I like grand pianos to sound full and dark. This is my Grand piano setting. I have to tell you I never felt that good playing a piano,EVER it felt like heaven.

I was playing in the dining room,my mother came back from work and she couldnt believe how close to a grand it sounded. and Im talking about the keyboard speakers! This is the setting I wish you like it too!

I dont remember the grand  number I used , it may be 001 or 002,the darkest one.

Attack time(-54)

release time(+35)

cut off(-14)

vib.type(sin)

vib depth(00)

vib.rate +15

vib delay(+19)

touch sense(63)

Reverb send(043)

cho.send(001)

Mod setting(Vib)

(mod depth(064)

DSP(off)

Play soft,very soft. and pull the volume up! =HEAVEN

Ok so I stop and eat something,then I think of exploring the Electric pianos,not the vintages,I need those Whitney houston soft FM keyboards from the 90s,those R&B sounds from Babyface R kelly Michael Jackson. And I could not be more disapointed.I could not find a single tone in that range,everything was toy like.

I went to the string section to see if I could layer them with an EP and come up with something aceptable but it sounded awful in my honest opinion.

at this point I was like..ok Impressive collection of Rhodes, wonderful grand setting capabilities,great key action elegant design...lets go with the drums...

And That was a big NO NO...those drums are nothing compared to the WK 3300.

So here I am. Im wondering is there is a genius in the lamp anywhere that can help me load sounds from the WK 3300 into the WK 7600. I just need that 028 FM piano,I need the 032 EP and 215 strings.I need that 044 keyb+strings. I also need many of the drum patterns.

To me the WK 3300 was the perfec keyboard except for the grands and the non weight keys.

So now Im trying to decide weather keep this board,for home and homestudio use cause of the grands and rhodes,I cant gig with those drums... and maybe buy a second hand wk 3300 for 200 bucks.

I have too many songs produced with that board so I need those sounds and rythms.

The other option is send back the WK 7600 board,get my 500 bucks back,buy a WK 3300 and keep saving for a high end keyboard with aceptable grands.

The third option is the genius in the lamp. Can anybody help me.I f I can put those wk3300 sounds and rythms in... that would be my definitive keyboard!!

• Like 3

Carlos

See this reply I just made to a thread posted earlier today by "fede4real"

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/6558-can-i-load-sounds-from-a-wk3300-into-a-new-wk-7600/#entry19278

Regards,

Ted

Thank you Ted,it didnt alowed me to post so used another adress  I was in "desperate" mode trying to find an answer lol Ive decided to keep the WK7600 its a great board and try to buy back my wk 3300 some time soon.

By the way do you know if the wk 3300 shares tones and rythms with close models like  3500  WK3700 WK 3800...I remember hearing the only difference on some where connectivity things,but I dont know for sure.

According to that old Casio international site I posted, the tone/rhythm compatibility groupings are as follows:

CTK-691 / WK-3000 / WK-3500

CTK-900 / WK-3200 / WK-3700

WK-3300 / WK-3800 / WK-8000

PX-410R / PX-575R  (Some data from this group may be compatible with the WK-3300/3800/8000 group.)

Occasionally, data will work on a non-compatible unit, but it is strictly a "cross your fingers and try" process.

Anybody any idea when a new family of wk7600 type will be introduced. ??

There are many flaws in the current model for useability real time, ie no midi in outs, poor ep sounds, poor strings and the layer/split functions are a shambles ( for good layer split see wk8000 manual )

The firmware on wk cannot be upgraded s o God help us  what casio guy will do next

Julian

The WK-7600 came out about two years after, and superseded, the WK-7500.  Although the 7600 offered some improvements over the 7500, all of the shortcomings you mention were carried over from the WK-7500, so I would not look for much improvement in those areas when the WK-7700 comes out.  "REAL" 5-pin DIN MIDI IN/OUT's are slowly disappearing from just about all models below the $1000-$1500 USD MOTL price range, although the Casio XW's were an exception to this, but they are targeted at the gigging pro synth market while the CTK's and WK's are targeted primarily at the home/beginner/intermediate arranger (one man bander) market.  So I would not look for any improvement there either.  If you have little or no use for auto-accompaniment, you might be better off to look into an XW or a PX-5S, rather than wait for more of the same in the WK line.  Your main problem here would be a choice of 61 or 88 keys, rather than the WK's convenient 76 keys, but at least both of these units have upgradeable firmware.

Regards,

Ted

Ted, many thks for your informed reply,  I have looked at privia px350 because rhythm section very handy, but again this model has no tone edit which the wk76 has , so each model seems to have just something that is missing. I even went to roland fp80 which is more expensive with brilliant sounds but except for the piano sounds you cannot tweak the others including ep's which are in a different bank.

Years ago I had a korg x3 synth, but got rid of a whole load of midi gear , but this x3 had everything but only 61keys, I can pick these up second hand on ebay for £150  which is a bargain as they were £2000 new,  Casio would do well to include good features from instruments like this.

The provision of midi 5 pin is a minimal cost feature, you can imagine the manufacturing cost of these parts in Korea, China it is cents and this opens up massive realtime expandability, imagine the wk76 midi up to the korg 05RW module ( this is the old korg x3 synth ) it would be tremendous.

So we wait and see what is to be produced in he future, for me, its realtime control and upgradability

Julian-what you want is my SK76 (also SK88 had hammer-action keys). sometimes these come up on eBay, but not often. I bought both the PX-350 and the XW-P1 as I had been spoiled by the SK-76s fully programmable auto-accompaniment with infnite styles loaded from disks, a full sample-editing and loading front-end with up to 32MB of Simms (not alot but not bad), huge library of fully programmable sounds, and (best of all) 8 real-time sliders useable as organ stops, live control of style track volumes or multi-track recording or any other function (are totally programmable).also has a 32-track sequencer, 64-note polyphony and provision for playing up to an 8-layer sound on top of your multi-tracked song or style accompaniment. and all the keys are back-lit and the screen is the size of the MZ-2000, very simple OS. GM compatible and midi smf plus a whole bank of midi in/thrus and outs and two sets of stereo outputs with separate effects sent to each. Man they had this stuff nailed.

Only problem-it's Generalmusic which is belly-up and mine is now needing repair so I've tried to replace these functioins with both Casio keyboards, but it's not the same. Also has the same style keys as the Casios with decent spring action, and very nice acoustic/electric piano samples and the drums are amazing-huge assortment of sampled drums are some of the best I've played. Now that is what Casio needs to make next, and i'm saying it here. I'd pay 1000 bucks for it easy.

Jokeyman  ,  thks for your input,  ill check for sk76 asap.  Incidently I notice the px350 will accept a AC7 rytham file for which I have 000's compilled and use in the wk7600, but it wont take a tone file from the wk. Do you know of anywhere to get extra tone banks for px350?

Jokeyman,  I have found a sk76 near where I live ( not seen it yet ) but I got the user manual and as you say  its awesome.  The model in question has been upgraded to sk760 , so I wait to see.

If you search ebay uk I think there is a sk76 for spares or repair, u may be interested

My opinion after a few weeks trying to tweak sound at the WK7600 is I have mixed feelings.

At one side I want to say Yeah Casio you are up there almost competeing with the pros for a reasonable price.

But I cant say it...why?

Because Im still trying to understand:

-how can you turn an awesome bank of realistic jazz R&B pop  latin rythms from the WK3300 into the toy like karaoke rythms in the WK7600?.They kept a few of them but very few are good enough at any semipro/pro gig

-How can you turn an intuitive keyboard perfect for live performing into such a  complex thing?.Im still trying to figure out how to adjust the drums volume and the splitted sections volume

-Why the sounds at the Wk 3300 where all ready to use without any editing or added effect and Ive had to spend days tweaking the sounds at the WK 7600 to make it sound aceptable?

I dont record on MIDI and I always prefer to record with my laptop thru a external USB soundcard.So I dont think Im going to even try to read how to record on this. Ive had enough trying to make it sound cool.

Good side about it? The keys feel wonderful the keybaord looks wonderful and once you edit the sounds the sounds are miles ahead the previous Wks .

BUt I also have to say the keyboard is lacking some sensitivity when applying  force. There use to be a distortion at the Wk3300 that I cant feel at the Wk 7600 when hitting hard. I mean those fender rhodes bass distortion,slap bass hit and grand piano distortion.

Im not buying an updated 7600 no way,(lets call it 7700¿?lol)

I would definately buy an improved WK 3800,with weighted keys stereo sound and decent drums. Its not that difficult casio,keep the good and grow from there. Does it make sense to go backwards? An SD card full of space and any recording capabilities are useless if the building block of a keyboard(sounds) are weak. 

Id rather buy a MIDI controler for  1/3 the price...Some of us still want a keyboard with decent  built in sounds.

My opinion after a few weeks trying to tweak sound at the WK7600 is I have mixed feelings.

At one side I want to say Yeah Casio you are up there almost competeing with the pros for a reasonable price.

But I cant say it...why?

Because Im still trying to understand:

-how can you turn an awesome bank of realistic jazz R&B pop  latin rythms from the WK3300 into the toy like karaoke rythms in the WK7600?.They kept a few of them but very few are good enough at any semipro/pro gig

-How can you turn an intuitive keyboard perfect for live performing into such a  complex thing?.Im still trying to figure out how to adjust the drums volume and the splitted sections volume

-Why the sounds at the Wk 3300 where all ready to use without any editing or added effect and Ive had to spend days tweaking the sounds at the WK 7600 to make it sound aceptable?

I dont record on MIDI and I always prefer to record with my laptop thru a external USB soundcard.So I dont think Im going to even try to read how to record on this. Ive had enough trying to make it sound cool.

Good side about it? The keys feel wonderful the keybaord looks wonderful and once you edit the sounds the sounds are miles ahead the previous Wks .

BUt I also have to say the keyboard is lacking some sensitivity when applying  force. There use to be a distortion at the Wk3300 that I cant feel at the Wk 7600 when hitting hard. I mean those fender rhodes bass distortion,slap bass hit and grand piano distortion.

Im not buying an updated 7600 no way,(lets call it 7700¿?lol)

I would definately buy an improved WK 3800,with weighted keys stereo sound and decent drums. Its not that difficult casio,keep the good and grow from there. Does it make sense to go backwards? An SD card full of space and any recording capabilities are useless if the building block of a keyboard(sounds) are weak. 

Id rather buy a MIDI controler for  1/3 the price...Some of us still want a keyboard with decent  built in sounds.

Hmmm...I almost bought the WK-7600 two weeks ago as I was looking for a 2nd-tier keyboard that will complement my PX-5S. It seems that through your assessment, the WK-7600 is a step-back rather than a step-forward towards the right direction in certain features/functions? 

It could be that WK-series keyboards may not be the current "best-seller" among Casio's EMI line up nowadays...or may be it's not the priority in the list of music electronic products to be improved significantly or whatever other reason they may have why these products were only given, at best, minor improvements. However, may be Casio should still consider providing their top-of-the-line WK-keyboard (i.e. WK-7600 and its future iterations) with features that will make more of the pro musicians out there take notice the way the PX-5S surprised them (despite the PX-5S being criticized for its lack of an expression pedal input, that is) and if only to further strengthen the drive to remove the "toy-keyboard-impression" from its EMI line.

Other competitor keyboard manufacturers (Roland, Korg and Yamaha) are already offering their own relatively lightweight and value keyboard offerings, and while Casio still has the advantage of providing reasonably-priced, lightweight 88-key DP line (Privia series) with good weighted-key-action/feel, the other keyboard manufacturers are taking notice and it may just be a matter of time before they're able to come up with something that will take away such advantage. 

Their Privia line is probably selling reasonably/quite well. However, I think Casio shouldn't de-prioritize its WK-series line much in favor of the future iterations/versions of the PX-5S, PX-350 and XW-synth series). The WK-7xxx series which is supposed to be their "top-of-the-line" workstation keyboard should also get that pro upgrade features that the PX-5S and XW-series were provided with.

Casio should also consider getting/recording/providing better samples of commonly-used tones (instruments) for its WK-series (to include future versions of the PX-5s and XW-line) such as:

1) Strings/strings section (marcato, spiccato, sordino, legato would not only be welcome surprises but a welcome changes)

2) Brass/brass section (sforzando, portato, fall)

3) Guitars (both acoustic nylon/steel and electric)    

The aforementioned are usually the more criticized tones/samples in Casio keyboards. They've done quite well in the piano sound category and to a certain extent in the electric piano sounds (given the PX-5s), now its time to improve the other commonly-used (and criticized) instrument tones above.

The WK-series line should be provided with pro features and sounds worthy of being classified/categorized as and given a model name of "Workstation Keyboard" 7500/7600 (WK-7500/7600). Otherwise, people currently patronizing casio keyboards will just eventually get tired of the minor "updates" and Casio's continued limited I/O options (e.g. lack of MIDI In/Out, Expression pedal input, non-CC transmission of faders etc.) for its WK-series will only serve to drive away people (both existing and potential casio-keyboard customers) and force them to eventually go for the competition. The type of competition that is already trying to offer their own versions of value-for-your-money keyboards in order to take away Casio's advantage.

Hmmm...I almost bought the WK-7600 two weeks ago as I was looking for a 2nd-tier keyboard that will complement my PX-5S. It seems that through your assessment, the WK-7600 is a step-back rather than a step-forward towards the right direction in certain features/functions? 

It could be that WK-series keyboards may not be the current "best-seller" among Casio's EMI line up nowadays...or may be it's not the priority in the list of music electronic products to be improved significantly or whatever other reason they may have why these products were only given, at best, minor improvements. However, may be Casio should still consider providing their top-of-the-line WK-keyboard (i.e. WK-7600 and its future iterations) with features that will make more of the pro musicians out there take notice the way the PX-5S surprised them (despite the PX-5S being criticized for its lack of an expression pedal input, that is) and if only to further strengthen the drive to remove the "toy-keyboard-impression" from its EMI line.

Other competitor keyboard manufacturers (Roland, Korg and Yamaha) are already offering their own relatively lightweight and value keyboard offerings, and while Casio still has the advantage of providing reasonably-priced, lightweight 88-key DP line (Privia series) with good weighted-key-action/feel, the other keyboard manufacturers are taking notice and it may just be a matter of time before they're able to come up with something that will take away such advantage. 

Their Privia line is probably selling reasonably/quite well. However, I think Casio shouldn't de-prioritize its WK-series line much in favor of the future iterations/versions of the PX-5S, PX-350 and XW-synth series). The WK-7xxx series which is supposed to be their "top-of-the-line" workstation keyboard should also get that pro upgrade features that the PX-5S and XW-series were provided with.

Casio should also consider getting/recording/providing better samples of commonly-used tones (instruments) for its WK-series (to include future versions of the PX-5s and XW-line) such as:

1) Strings/strings section (marcato, spiccato, sordino, legato would not only be welcome surprises but a welcome changes)

2) Brass/brass section (sforzando, portato, fall)

3) Guitars (both acoustic nylon/steel and electric)    

The aforementioned are usually the more criticized tones/samples in Casio keyboards. They've done quite well in the piano sound category and to a certain extent in the electric piano sounds (given the PX-5s), now its time to improve the other commonly-used (and criticized) instrument tones above.

The WK-series line should be provided with pro features and sounds worthy of being classified/categorized as and given a model name of "Workstation Keyboard" 7500/7600 (WK-7500/7600). Otherwise, people currently patronizing casio keyboards will just eventually get tired of the minor "updates" and Casio's continued limited I/O options (e.g. lack of MIDI In/Out, Expression pedal input, non-CC transmission of faders etc.) for its WK-series will only serve to drive away people (both existing and potential casio-keyboard customers) and force them to eventually go for the competition. The type of competition that is already trying to offer their own versions of value-for-your-money keyboards in order to take away Casio's advantage.

YOu are so right,with Yamaha and korg putting out models like krome or MOXF at reasonable price Casio better step up their game.

Its clear their focus are the Privia Lines. I had the PX5 in mind And I would have gone for it but it lacked built in drum patterns.

Unless they come up with something really impressive I will jump to the competition.

You did so good skipping the 7600 if you already have the Px5 you already have a great sounding piano...the rest of tones and rythms are not worth for you to buy it.Im only keeping mine cause I didnt have a weighted great sounding piano so Ill keep it at home for songwriting and just the love of playing a decent grand piano. Not for gigging though. The only gig I could use it is as a background jazz and ballads music,not for an uptempo

fede4real, you can only adjust individual parts using the mixer, so u have to stop everything, its not real time therefore wk76 is in my book is not a performance keyboard but just a little toy for someone messing about at home.

If you want to see a real keyboard try finding an old GEM 760 or 880,  10/15 years old and will still out perform anything on the market today.

Yes I agree at a lot off things beeing said about the new CTK and WK series of Casio.

I bought mine 7200 second hand because I was not paying full price for it..the sound is reasonable but not outstanding or Pro.

It has a lot off functions and sometimes thinking there is to much on these boards, you are soon making a mistake because you are going thru so many menu's.

Piano and E piano's are good but Guitar sounds and the strings are not so great in my view.

And the tone editor you really need to make sounds more to your liking or the song that you are recording at that moment.

Also there's missing two Fill In patterns, on every other brand you will find 2 Fill Ins that will be played when going to the second or first style variation.

The build quality could also be improved, some times my drawbar knobs wil fall of when working with the Organ section.

I'm affraid that if Casio does not step it up a notch they can join Technics on the grafyard of keyboard brands that did not make it for the full run.

At other hand Casio has been made it pretty hard to make there keyboards fully compatible because XG standards or GM2 will never be seen on a Casio keyboard because it will cost them a lot of cash.

And Casio always wants to make keyboards affordable..

Yamaha is a big giant that crushes every other brand in the market, Technics could not keep up and had to close there keyboard factory in 2004.

They made really nice sounding keyboards with good functionality and professional build quality.

So making perfect or great keyboard products for an reasonable price is not always the answer to survive.

(off the record Yamaha stole a lot of Technics techniques in to there own for cheap.)

Roland is the next brand that is gonna dissapear from the keyboard market, they really try there best but there is no competing against a Tyros 5.

The new AHL technology is at most points an improvement to the old ZPI engine they where using in the CTK 900 and WK 3XXX series.

But having an WK 3300 for a long time the sounds that are Casio's weak spot are even going weaker in the new series and that's really a shame.

Keys on the CTK 7200 are feeling much better then on the 3300 that made at some point more noise than the keyboard it's speakers.

The detail in sampling sounds is much better but could be so much more.

Technology is inside but is for my personal feeling used for about 50 % of what it could do.

I'm also an reviewer for keyboards as a hobby and found out that Medeli is really making good sounding keyboards at great prices.

And they even make better sounding keyboards in the same price range as giant Yamaha.

The big flaw with brand Medeli is that there support is not so great and the keybed is a bit cheap but good playable.

In the Casio CTK and WK range is a better keybed installed.

It is really bad or sad that the inventor of the keyboard system Casio has lost it ways on the market they invented.

They can make such nice products but on the keyboard range they are cutting corners what is gonna cost Casio a lot of future buyers that are looking elsewhere for a board that is more to there needs.

My posting is certainly not an attack to the Casio brand itself.

Casio was my very first keyboard at 9 years of age (SK-1.) and always beeing thankfull that this board has let me see that I really love to make music with sampled sounds and tones and it has really formed me in the musician I am today.

But hoping that somewhere down the line this post or complete topic is getting on a table inside Casio itself.

And hoping that the next generation of Casio boards can live up the Pro standards.

Even at a price range under a 500 dollars.

If Casio wants to stay a life on the keyboard market they have to invest in to it.

The line up what they have these days are not gonna cut it in full.

Technology and good sound programmers are in Casio there house so why going back instead of forward?

Best regards:

Ramon, Holland

Yeh,  some keys on my wk7600 have gone a little tinny sounding when struck, like a rattle. At first I thought it was my finger nails, but it is the lack of consistant padding under the key, also they feel a bit loose.

Fix,  I have pushed some double sided tape ( only use one side sticky, leave other side alone ) in between the key eg  C4 to D4 and it sounds more normal, just a thickish pad sound.

I shudder to think what is really under the keyboard but I bet it is no better than bog paper,  disappointing really

Yeh,  some keys on my wk7600 have gone a little tinny sounding when struck, like a rattle. At first I thought it was my finger nails, but it is the lack of consistant padding under the key, also they feel a bit loose.

Fix,  I have pushed some double sided tape ( only use one side sticky, leave other side alone ) in between the key eg  C4 to D4 and it sounds more normal, just a thickish pad sound.

I shudder to think what is really under the keyboard but I bet it is no better than bog paper,  disappointing really

You are so right I have the board for about  amonth,I play mostly ballads so its not that I hit them that hard. i notice that in a few weeks the keys feel so much soft and noisy,reminding me of my WK 3300.  

I dont hate it cause Im more used to soft keys and my style of playing is adjusted to that but for anyone wanting weighted key feel it may be dissapointing.

Another bad thing is,yeah the black design looks cool at first but the bottons,in low light conditions.... there is no way for you to hit the right botton.They are small,small tiny letters and the same color as the board.A lighter shade like grey would not be a bad idea...

I gotta say that Im still amazed at how good it sounds WITH  tweaking at tone editor.

Its taking me weeks but Im finally asambling a good set of sounds. Id probably share all them here when Im done and see if it helps. For now Ive created

3 grand pianos,(cool for jazz classical or pop)

1rock piano,

1 bright piano

1 dance EP

3 fender rhodes(yeah I know Im a freak),

1stereo strings,

1chamber strings,

1synth strings(pad like),

2of  90s EP(whitney houston type).

1 early 80s dyno EP(phill collins type)

jazz bass

funky slap bass(70s 80s)

My main con is still the drums,they are sooo karaoke with few exceptions but I do believe my user tones compete with higher end boards,I was playing Janet jackson ballads witht the 90s EP and it sounded just like the record.When I layer the 90s EPs and the synth strings...heaven.

BUT I dont pay 600 bucks only to having to spend a month trying to make the board sound decent. CASIO why dont you hire me next time?.You seem to have the technology to make a great sounding board but not the ears.

If any semipro pro player try test this board in a store and listen to those preset sounds he would hit NEXT ina  second.Such a waist this board can really deliver great sounds.

Another thing is when a plug in the mic theres noise most of the times.Other times it sounds clean but most times there is an anoying "fffffffff" noise.

This doesnt come as a surprise as I  had already read over the net about the low performance of the"too good to be true" mic in feature...so I felt lucky it somehow works,I  kinda espected it and didnt get myself too excited about it  (nor Im disapointed now) But I have to say it.

Im not the kind of guy that messes around sending back a keyboard etc,cause I know probally they would send a new keyboard with the same problem.The noise is ok for rehearse if i dont want to plug in my laptop and all that,definately not for gigging.

So these are the kind of things that set casio far from the Yamahas

Well a lot of keyboards even much higher in price range with MIC input producing noise or hissing sounds because the MIC is not shielded correctly..

With an XLR input the noise almost is gone away..but thinking to expensive for Casio to make such an input..

Well really hoping that Casio is reading with us on this topic.

There is a lot that could be improved for the better.

Yamaha is so far ahead that Casio is having to take very high jumps to get anywhere near..

Never understud why they did not buy the Technics Music Division when they where quiting the keyboard market.

It would have made the position for Casio at these times a lot better..

Hello Julian. If you look for my post about how I had to modify the XW-P1 keyboard by adding some piano felt under the keys, i think the WK series and CTK are similar if not identical.

I found out the padding in the XW is very thin, and this when new. Even a little wear will have you hitting the plastic case. There are retaining pieces made of  some kind of plastic (might be pvc or nylon but not sure) on top of the back of the keys inside the case. These are attached with screws that keep the keys anchored in place. Mine were loose even after minimal playing and I needed to tighten these up. With these improvements, the keys fell much better.

I agree, one of the most powerful keyboards I ever owned was an old GEM SK76 (not the SK760 which was even better) which I am still trying to repair.  The power supply failed, I am trying to rebuild it since there are no parts for these anywhere believe me i tried. Only the SK88 had a piano action keyboard, the 76 spring-controlled version feels amazingly similar to the new Casios but a little "beefier". I purchased both the XW-P1 and the PX350 to replace the SK76 and I have quite a few others but I tended to go to the SK76 after all these years. Casio look at that design (I think they did the WKs are close) and make it lighter-weight, would be a killer musical instrument. The only older one like it is the Kurzweil 2500/2600 and these didn't have the capabilities of the GEMs.  I'd sell both my Casios to get a Casio SK76/SK-88 type with the piano action and AIR piano samples.

If you come across a huge review of the SK76 on the web (not Sound-on-Sound's) that's mine. I'd swear Casio got some ideas from these old Generalmusic/GEM keyboards, except without the real-time sliders which control whatever you program them to control including drawbar settings and volume or anything else you can think of.

Hi Jokeyman 123,  yeh I saw your key pad felt mod, but for me I dare not take the wk76 to pieces?  I think in the end for what we pay in UK about £320 for the wk you get what you get.

For some lucky reason the tape pushed down the side of the key has stopped the clanging sound.

Im thinking about a px5s are u in favour with this piano?

Also anyone got a download of the Whitney Houston e piano on Saving all my Love for the wk, in .ac7 or .ckf or .tn format.  I am tweeking a couple of ep's and clavis to layer for this but not quite there yet  !!!

Im thinking about a px5s are u in favour with this piano?

You could try checking out these reviews about the PX-5S here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul14/articles/casio-privia-px5s.htm

http://www.keyboardmag.com/combo---do-all/1191/casio-privia-pro-px-5s-review/29374

I have a PX-5S since November 2013 and enjoy using it not only for its pianos/EPs but its MIDI controller capabilities. However, since you're currently using a WK-7600, don't expect to have a 16-track MIDI sequencer (in the traditional workstation sense) as the PX-5S only has a phrase sequencer.

The PX-5S have some "shortcomings", depending on your needs/expectations, like the lack of expression/volume control pedal input, which can be remedied by buying an external MIDI device --- see the PX-5S forum section for a discussion topic), 16-track MIDI sequencer (I'm not referring the PX-5S phrase sequencer), additional 3 sliders/faders (to have a 9-drawbar capability) and probably a better sampling of strings/brass/guitars. However, for the price of this keyboard the feature set/capabilities of the PX-5S, its synth engine and the support (through Mike Martin's Casio PX-5S live stream tutorials) make having the PX-5S a great buy.

I could only wish that the next "PX-7S" (or whatever the name is of the successor to the PX-5S) may add features that other keyboardists (owners and non-owners of the unit) are requesting for (which are currently missing from the PX-5S). Now that would be a killer board if ever these additional features are considered by Casio B)   

thks for info above, im watching a roland rd700gx on ebay its a great machine and covers all the shortcomings of the px5s except for one thing, its weight of 25kgs,  don't think one person can move it, also its 1440mm long

We want great weighted key action realistic tones/rythms and ease of use but that comes at a price: money and weight. It would be perfect to use only one board for gigging and production,for only 500$ at 8kg.... Hey its free to dream!

fede4real,  thks for input,  have you finished your patch edits for download yet??

also,  there is a lot said about px5s not having split button, but infact the split in a stage setting is the same isn't it,  because if you bring up any stage set that has a split in it you can change it to your liking and infact change split voicing for say right hand melody on the fly, so I don't see what the fuss is about.

I would like to see volume pedal though, that's useful , sorry this forum about wk series, don't get down on px5!!