My first thoughts on WK7600,plus grand piano setting, need some help

carlos

Just bought FM tines from gospelmusicians

you have never heard epiano patches as good, made from the good old dx7's and others who used FM sythesis

If you want a sounding whitney Houston ep then go there.  It is a vst which you have to load into your lap top, I have successfully used the usb out from a wk7600 into the laptop, then used the sterio phone jack out into some monitors or you can take it back into the wk76 sterio in and use the speakers in the wk76.

Set local control to off and match midi channels, no 1 is ok.

There is not much midi control from the wk so you have to tweek the fmtines programm and save a preset in there front end software (UVI)

You would not believe the sounds, I have just done a choir with soft ep for xmas songs, its like nothing you've heard from a keyboard before

FM tines-one of the best FM modules I ever played for e pianos was the old Yamaha FB-01 which was only 4-operator, check it out. The DX7 was 4-op then later 6-op for more sound design possibilities. I've kept my old SY77 which is 6-op+.  I'm one of the unfortunates who actually learned FM programming, check out the Yamaha UK forum for the guys who created some of the most advanced FM patches that will ever be-Manny Fernandez is there, he developed the original sounds for the SY77/99.

The FB-01 surprisingly after all the other high-end stuff I've owned stands up well for clarity and variety-and simplicity, since many guys cut their FM teeth on this module and pushed it to its limit. There are large repositiories of sound libraries for it on the web (last I checked) and it is dirt-cheap on eBoogy. might be useful for layering with the WK. Relatively small module, made with a steel cabinet too boot. So you can use it to throw at the drummer in a pinch when he gets sloppy with his timing or drowns out your delicately placed pads or leads! :rolleyes:

• 9 months later...

I own a PX-5s, XW-P1, and WK3200.  I use the first 2 when I perform with my band and the 3rd (by itself) when I perform solo.  They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

As for the keybed, I did a fairly easy mod to the WK3200 that improved the keyboard action AND quieted the keybed.  My WK3200 now has better feel than my XW-P1.  PM me if you want the details.

Check out my posts about the older PX575 I just picked up used. This is the WK 3300 with 88 weighted action keys. Although it still is not as versatile as my old GEM SK76 it is pretty impressive with the ZPI sound samples. Unfortunately it will need more cushioning as the keys are a little too clunky for my taste. Time for another mod! No controllable sliders either but sounds can be edited and saved. Very limited "sequencer" if it can be called that. Really a 6- track song recorder but with some trouble it does work.

• 9 months later...
On October 20, 2014 at 6:18 PM, carlos said:

Hello

Finally Im able to post. Im a long time owner of a Wk 3300. I loved that keyboard the tones rythm patterns and ease of use.

BUT with time I felt I needed better key action and better grand piano sound.

well long story short after revewing for years,buying a low end Yamaha only to find out my casio blew him out of the water.....I finally thought of giving the CASIO WK7600 a try. Got rid of my WK 3300 and some gear and there you go.

I was so sure that it was an imnproved version of the WK 3300 that I didnt even tried it in the store. I know my bad...

So today,the mailman comes,I was soooo excited about this new board.

The keys felt great,the grand piano sound didnt impress me I started to feel like oh oh... but the vintage EPs where amazing. plenty of great sounding rhodes without any effect and layer.Every rhodes model is there,with phaser effects included and everything...

So I went back to the Grand pianos and devoted myself to make it sound like my favourite grand piano sound.That grand piano was only in my imagination until today. I was playing a real grand last week so I guess that helped me setting the sound.Even though I didnt enjoy much the sound of that real grand ...but thats another story..

So after 30min tweeking this is what I came up with. I dont know about you but Im a baladder,singer pianist,jazz and fusion soul I like grand pianos to sound full and dark. This is my Grand piano setting. I have to tell you I never felt that good playing a piano,EVER it felt like heaven.

I was playing in the dining room,my mother came back from work and she couldnt believe how close to a grand it sounded. and Im talking about the keyboard speakers! This is the setting I wish you like it too!

I dont remember the grand  number I used , it may be 001 or 002,the darkest one.

Attack time(-54)

release time(+35)

cut off(-14)

vib.type(sin)

vib depth(00)

vib.rate +15

vib delay(+19)

touch sense(63)

Reverb send(043)

cho.send(001)

Mod setting(Vib)

(mod depth(064)

DSP(off)

Play soft,very soft. and pull the volume up! =HEAVEN

Ok so I stop and eat something,then I think of exploring the Electric pianos,not the vintages,I need those Whitney houston soft FM keyboards from the 90s,those R&B sounds from Babyface R kelly Michael Jackson. And I could not be more disapointed.I could not find a single tone in that range,everything was toy like.

I went to the string section to see if I could layer them with an EP and come up with something aceptable but it sounded awful in my honest opinion.

at this point I was like..ok Impressive collection of Rhodes, wonderful grand setting capabilities,great key action elegant design...lets go with the drums...

And That was a big NO NO...those drums are nothing compared to the WK 3300.

So here I am. Im wondering is there is a genius in the lamp anywhere that can help me load sounds from the WK 3300 into the WK 7600. I just need that 028 FM piano,I need the 032 EP and 215 strings.I need that 044 keyb+strings. I also need many of the drum patterns.

To me the WK 3300 was the perfec keyboard except for the grands and the non weight keys.

So now Im trying to decide weather keep this board,for home and homestudio use cause of the grands and rhodes,I cant gig with those drums... and maybe buy a second hand wk 3300 for 200 bucks.

I have too many songs produced with that board so I need those sounds and rythms.

The other option is send back the WK 7600 board,get my 500 bucks back,buy a WK 3300 and keep saving for a high end keyboard with aceptable grands.

The third option is the genius in the lamp. Can anybody help me.I f I can put those wk3300 sounds and rythms in... that would be my definitive keyboard!!

On October 20, 2014 at 6:18 PM, carlos said:

Hello

Finally Im able to post. Im a long time owner of a Wk 3300. I loved that keyboard the tones rythm patterns and ease of use.

BUT with time I felt I needed better key action and better grand piano sound.

well long story short after revewing for years,buying a low end Yamaha only to find out my casio blew him out of the water.....I finally thought of giving the CASIO WK7600 a try. Got rid of my WK 3300 and some gear and there you go.

I was so sure that it was an imnproved version of the WK 3300 that I didnt even tried it in the store. I know my bad...

So today,the mailman comes,I was soooo excited about this new board.

The keys felt great,the grand piano sound didnt impress me I started to feel like oh oh... but the vintage EPs where amazing. plenty of great sounding rhodes without any effect and layer.Every rhodes model is there,with phaser effects included and everything...

So I went back to the Grand pianos and devoted myself to make it sound like my favourite grand piano sound.That grand piano was only in my imagination until today. I was playing a real grand last week so I guess that helped me setting the sound.Even though I didnt enjoy much the sound of that real grand ...but thats another story..

So after 30min tweeking this is what I came up with. I dont know about you but Im a baladder,singer pianist,jazz and fusion soul I like grand pianos to sound full and dark. This is my Grand piano setting. I have to tell you I never felt that good playing a piano,EVER it felt like heaven.

I was playing in the dining room,my mother came back from work and she couldnt believe how close to a grand it sounded. and Im talking about the keyboard speakers! This is the setting I wish you like it too!

I dont remember the grand  number I used , it may be 001 or 002,the darkest one.

Attack time(-54)

release time(+35)

cut off(-14)

vib.type(sin)

vib depth(00)

vib.rate +15

vib delay(+19)

touch sense(63)

Reverb send(043)

cho.send(001)

Mod setting(Vib)

(mod depth(064)

DSP(off)

Play soft,very soft. and pull the volume up! =HEAVEN

Ok so I stop and eat something,then I think of exploring the Electric pianos,not the vintages,I need those Whitney houston soft FM keyboards from the 90s,those R&B sounds from Babyface R kelly Michael Jackson. And I could not be more disapointed.I could not find a single tone in that range,everything was toy like.

I went to the string section to see if I could layer them with an EP and come up with something aceptable but it sounded awful in my honest opinion.

at this point I was like..ok Impressive collection of Rhodes, wonderful grand setting capabilities,great key action elegant design...lets go with the drums...

And That was a big NO NO...those drums are nothing compared to the WK 3300.

So here I am. Im wondering is there is a genius in the lamp anywhere that can help me load sounds from the WK 3300 into the WK 7600. I just need that 028 FM piano,I need the 032 EP and 215 strings.I need that 044 keyb+strings. I also need many of the drum patterns.

To me the WK 3300 was the perfec keyboard except for the grands and the non weight keys.

So now Im trying to decide weather keep this board,for home and homestudio use cause of the grands and rhodes,I cant gig with those drums... and maybe buy a second hand wk 3300 for 200 bucks.

I have too many songs produced with that board so I need those sounds and rythms.

The other option is send back the WK 7600 board,get my 500 bucks back,buy a WK 3300 and keep saving for a high end keyboard with aceptable grands.

The third option is the genius in the lamp. Can anybody help me.I f I can put those wk3300 sounds and rythms in... that would be my definitive keyboard!!

Carlos,

I just picked up my 7600 yesterday and being concerned a lot about the piano sounds ,i immediately played them. After reading your post i quickly read the manual to learn how to access tone edit and then i just as quickly"stole your settings". What a difference. Sometimes i gravitate towards bright crunchy sounds as i play a lot of pop, rock and some R&B. Although your custom tone patch is not bright, i have found myself going back to it over all the other piano tones as its just so lush and rich. I will be making my own tones of corse but your"not so secret recipe" will remain on my board. I love it!...Thanks Carlos!

Just a couple of comments-you are looking for that Yamaha DX piano sound-very hard to get without the Yamaha DX! I have the SY77 to compare, and there are just some very metallic-sounding things you can get with FM that are hard to get with anything else. The old Yamaha FB-01 module actually had some very nice 4-operator DX pianos in it and can be gotten fairly inexpensively on eBay. As far as the going back to the WK3300-I bought an old PX575 after getting the PX350 and XW-P1, and i was pleasantly surprised at how good this sounded (it has the same sound engine as the WK3300 I think). The grand pianos use the older Casio construct for samples, not the "AIR" but with the decent weighted action on the PX575, I find myself going back to it quite a bit and i have played Steinways-no comparison of course but I'm picky. I can't edit pianos on the 350, a bit on the 575, but I will try these settings on the XW-p1 (where I can edit but not exactly like the 7600) and see what you came up with.

• 1 year later...
On 11/11/2014 at 4:40 AM, fede4real said:

Você está tão certo que eu tenho o conselho para cerca de amonth, eu jogo principalmente baladas, então não é que eu acertei tanto. Eu percebo que em algumas semanas as teclas se sentem tão suaves e barulhentas, lembrando-me do meu WK 3300.  

Eu não odeio porque eu estou mais acostumado às softkeys e meu estilo de jogo é ajustado para isso, mas para quem quiser a chave ponderada, pode ser decepcionante.

Outra coisa ruim é, sim, o design preto parece legal no início, mas os botões, em condições de pouca luz ... não há nenhuma maneira para você bater no botão direito. São pequenas, pequenas letras minúsculas e a mesma cor que a Placa. Uma sombra mais clara como cinza não seria uma má idéia ...

Eu tenho que dizer que ainda estou impressionado com o bom som com o ajuste no editor de tom.

Está me levando semanas, mas finalmente estou tentando um bom conjunto de sons. Provavelmente compartilhe todos eles aqui quando eu terminar e veja se isso ajuda. Por enquanto criei

3 pianos grandes, (legal para jazz clássico ou pop)

Piano 1rock

1 piano brilhante

1 EP de dança

3 rhodes de defesa (sim, eu sei que sou uma aberração),

1stereo strings,

1 cordas de câmara,

1synth strings (pad like),

2 de 90s EP (tipo whitney houston).

1 dyno EP do início dos anos 80 (tipo Flins Collins)

Jazz bass

Funky slap bass (70s 80s)

Meu principal con ainda é a bateria, eles são tão karaoke com poucas exceções, mas acredito que meus tons de usuário competem com placas de ponta mais altas, eu estava jogando baladas de Janet Jackson com o EP dos 90 e soava como o registro. Quando eu camada o PE de 90 e as cordas de sintetizador ... céu.

MAS eu não pago 600 dólares apenas para ter que gastar um mês tentando fazer o quadro parecer decente. CASIO por que você não me contrata na próxima vez? Você parece ter a tecnologia para fazer uma ótima placa de som, mas não as orelhas.

Se algum jogador semipro pro tentar testar esta placa em uma loja e ouvir esses sons predefinidos, ele atingiria NEXT em um segundo. Essa cintura essa placa pode realmente produzir sons excelentes.

Outra coisa é quando um plugue no microfone há barulho na maioria das vezes. Mais vezes, isso parece limpo, mas na maioria das vezes há um ruído "fffffffff".

Isso não é uma surpresa, já que eu já tinha lido sobre a rede sobre o baixo desempenho do microfone "muito bom para ser verdade", então eu me sentia sortudo, de alguma forma funciona, eu meio que o esqueci e não me conseguiria também Entusiasmado com isso (nem estou desapontado agora) Mas eu tenho que dizer isso.

Eu não sou o tipo de cara que mexe em torno de enviar de volta um teclado etc, porque eu sei probalmente, eles iriam enviar um novo teclado com o mesmo problema. O ruído está pronto para ensaiar se não quiser ligar meu laptop e tudo isso, definitivamente Não para mostrar.

Então, esse é o tipo de coisas que deixaram o casio longe dos Yamahas

O piano com as configurações que você passou ficou muito bom. Ajude os novatos enviando as configurações dos outros intrumentos que você fez. Por favor!
favor!

Edited by Leclaudino

Leclaudino

Even though fede4real, who posted the reply that you quoted, stated that he would share the settings for his other instruments, he apparently never did.  I can not find any files from him in the Downloads section of this forum.  His last login here was November 15, 2014.  That will soon be 3 years ago.  I suspect that he may no longer own the WK-7600 and do not expect him to respond to your post.

If you have not already done so, you should check the Downloads section of this forum for CTK/WK files submitted by other members:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/category/39-ctk-wk/

Leclaudino

Mesmo que fede4real, que postou a resposta que você citou, afirmou que ele iria compartilhar as configurações para outros instrumentos dele, ele aparentemente nunca fez.  Eu não consigo encontrar todos os arquivos na seção de Downloads deste fórum.  Seu último login aqui era 15 de novembro de 2014.  Que em breve será de 3 anos.  Eu suspeito que ele já não pode possuir o WK-7600 e não esperar que ele para responder ao seu post.

Se você ainda não fez isso, você deve verificar a seção de Downloads deste fórum para arquivos CTK/WK enviado por outros membros:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/category/39-ctk-wk/

• 3 years later...

I totally agree with the comments about the 7600, bought it and am disappointed with the sounds. I hot it to replace my 3300 that has a broken key and a major issue of randomly changing voices automatically while am playing or even as long as its switched on. Also it doesnt allow me to select voices using the keypad anymore, I have to turn it off tnen on again and use the "+" button to find the voice I need. I still ise it since its paino, acoustic guitar, trumpet and many other voices are so much better than the 7600. Anyone with any idea of how to stop the automatic voice changing ? I can actually live with the other flaws.

The difference in sound befween the WK-7600 and the WK-3300 is the speakers.  The WK-7600 speakers use stiffer surround membranes that connect the outer edge of the speaker cone to the speaker frame.  That gives a "tighter" speaker response similar to the close-field studio monitors popular today (Signs of the times!).  The WK-3300 speakers have softer speaker surround membranes that allow the speaker cone to travel in and out further, especially on strong bass notes.  That makes its speaker response fuller on the mid to low end frequency range, and simulates the response of boom boxes that were popular at that time.  You can improve the WK-7600's sound by connecting it to an external sound system.  I used my WK-7500 to drive a Technics 225 watt stereo amp that fed a pair of Sony 6 inch dual cone towers.  It was superb.  You can try tweaking the EQ a bit, for a little better response.  My WK-7500 did not have this.

As for your WK-3300 randomly changing tones, I suspect that you have a worn out switch that needs to be replaced.  For what that would cost you in repairs, you could make a nice investment in a sound system for your WK-7600.

• 2 months later...
On 11/11/2014 at 10:09 AM, Jokeyman123 said:

Hello Julian. If you look for my post about how I had to modify the XW-P1 keyboard by adding some piano felt under the keys, i think the WK series and CTK are similar if not identical.

I found out the padding in the XW is very thin, and this when new. Even a little wear will have you hitting the plastic case. There are retaining pieces made of  some kind of plastic (might be pvc or nylon but not sure) on top of the back of the keys inside the case. These are attached with screws that keep the keys anchored in place. Mine were loose even after minimal playing and I needed to tighten these up. With these improvements, the keys fell much better.

Is there any pictures or links to seeing this modification of the key padding done anywhere?