Video Files on Forum ×

XW / CTK / WK

User 29303

so now on Friday one of my Synths will be replaced i wonder what i should buy ,,,i need some nice rhythms...good Sounds Guitars

strings and so on ..and a free system to programm own tracks....

So XW-G1 is very synth like how does classical patches sound like `?

CTK-6200 nice i wonder whats the difference to the WK 4200 or WK 6600 ...

other sugestions are welcome....

I was looking for either 61-key arranger-type keyboard or 61-key workstation keyboard to complement my PX-5S (which I bought sometime September 2013) my self these last two months.

What about the following keyboards?:

1) Roland FA-06: http://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/1183/roland-fa-series-reviewed/29718

2) Yamaha MOXF6: http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/yamaha-moxf6-595446/

3) Korg Krome:  http://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/1183/korg-krome-synth-workstation-reviewed/29205

4) Korg PA-600: 

5) Yamaha PSR-750

The WK-7600 would have been a good bang-for-the-buck keyboard "arranger" workstation, but the absence of MIDI IN/OUT (5-DIN) and control/expression pedal inputs are what turned me towards the direction of the listed keyboards above. After a considerable amount of time spent on reading through forums, customer reviews about the FA-06, MOXF6, Korg PA-600 and PSR-750 and watching you tube demos of all these keyboards, I had to make a choice finally and ended up buying the Roland FA-06 last week. I've barely tried out all the sounds but appreciate the wide variety of sounds available within the FA-06. The interface and larger screen (I can live with it even if it's not a touchscreen) makes sequencing multi-track arrangements among other things relatively easier. 

Having had tried all of the keyboards I listed above in local music stores, I'd say that in terms of keybed feel and given that all the boards I listed have synth-action keys, I disliked the feel of the Korg the most. I can't help but confirm the gripe that others have mentioned about the keybed. All though I appreciate Korg's touchscreen and quite sure their PA-900 and Korg Kronos X synth-action keys are probably of a different quality and feel a lot better. 

I was quite surprised that the Roland XPS-10 (sold in select regions/countries only) despite being cheaper had a better synth key-action/feel than the Roland FA-06 keys. The XPS-10 had more resistance than the softer feel of the FA-06 keys.

I thought that either the FA-06 or MOXF6 would be a good complement to the PX-5S - if only to add 16-track (multi-track MIDI sequencing), extra sonic/sound palette in addition to a better user interface/screen, I/O ports (two CTRL pedal input and one sustain pedal input, audio input and line-in inputs).

The FA-06 even has built-in rhythm patterns (with specific INTRO, VERSE 1, VERSE 2, ENDING sections) just like the arranger-type keyboards (Yamaha PSR-750, Korg PA-600/900, Casio WK-7500/7600). I think its a nice addition to the PX-5S, at least, for my needs. I have to admit that I'm still spoiled by the sound provided by my EWQL Symphonic Orchestra virtual instrument software and Pianoteq 5. But having a capable laptop plus good virtual instruments may also be another option for you.

On the other hand, the advantage of going with the Yamaha MOXF6 is that you get the full 700+mb worth of instrument sample waveforms from the Motif XF series pro workstation keyboards in addition to thousands of arp/patterns that can be put to good use in solo-performance of certain songs. Yup, the keybed feel is not top-notch, but you do get the sounds of the Motif XF series under the hood.

I'd swear that if Casio would only add the following features as improvements to its current WK-series keyboards (may be the next "WK-7700"), I'd get one in a heartbeat :wub: :

1) Allow the faders to transmit MIDI CC data which can be used to control parameters of Virtual instruments

2) Provide at least 4-zone-layer/split capabilities which can be used to control Virtual instruments

3) Provide 5-DIN MIDI IN/OUT ports in addition to the USB-MIDI port

4) Ability to use commercially-available fast SDHC cards as possible storage space to expand/add instrument samples/sounds to expand the sonic/instrument capabilities of the keyboard

5) Provide an expression pedal input

6) Provide a better-sampled warmer strings section

7) Provide an actual MOD wheel instead of MOD button

Sorry for the long post.