Video Files on Forum ×

Using slider to control phrase volume

bwood301

I'm trying to create a looped phrase for bongos at the beginning of Joe Cocker's version of Feelin Alright. I recorded a midi part in Reaper and converted it to a phrase. I pointed to the phrase in zone 1and assigned slider 1 for volume. I used zone 2 for the piano and assigned slider 2 for volume. The phrase works but slider 1 won't control the phrase volume. Slider 2 controls the piano volume fine.

Yes.  In the data editor Stage Setting tab on Zone 1 > Mixer - Enable is off and Zone 1 > Controller > Arpeggio - Enable is on and Phrase Seq is selected.  The phrase is loaded in location 100.  I'm using pedal 2 to start and stop the phrase and that works also.

Question - In the data editor on the Stage Setting tab, what's the difference between the phrase shown in each zone on the Zone tab and the phrase shown on the Common tab?

If zone 1 enable is off, how can you hear anything on zone 1?

The only way to hear something on zone 1 when it is off is if you are using the phrase sequencer (not arpeggiator) to play back a phrase. Do you know the difference?

None of the controls will work on a zone if it is off.

It's actually a handy way to apply the controls to some of the zones but not all: you can quickly turn a zone off, use the controls to apply some effect and then turn the zone you turned off back on again.

I have a stage setting here and I just loaded a phrase in the arpeggiator, set it to fix and then let it play in hold mode. Then I set slider 1 to only control the volume on zone 1 and it works fine.

Can you upload your stage setting here and I'll have a look at it?

• Like 1

That may be my problem - I don't really know the difference.  I may be hearing the phrase sequencer and not the Zone 1 phrase being played by the arpeggiator.

If I turn on Zone 1 and set the note range to one note (low A or something) that may fix the problem.

I'll try it when I get home from work.  If that doesn't fix it I'll upload my stage setting and let you look at it.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

OK - problem solved. 

I think I understand the difference between the common phrase sequencer and the phrases related to a zone.  I put a one measure "click track" in the common phrase sequencer to establish the tempo.  I enabled Zone 1 and put a looped phrase for bongos in it.  I set the key range in Zone 1 to the first note of the piano part in the intro.  I'm using pedal 2 set to "ArpHold On/Off" to control the phrase in Zone 1.  Zone 2 is set to Layer Rock Piano I believe.

So to play the song I press pedal 2 to "arm" the Zone 1 phrase.   Then I press the Phrase button, then Start to start the click track.  When I start playing the piano part, the bongos start simultaneously.  When I want to stop the bongos I press pedal 2 again.  Slider 1 controls the volume of the drums (including the click track) and Slider 2 controls the volume of the piano.

One thing that I had to do was copy the drum standard set 1 into a user location and turn off the note that I was using to trigger the bongos.  Otherwise I was hearing a bass drum every time I played that note.

Overall pretty cool!  I need to work on the bongo phrase to make it sound more like the original.  I'm just a rookie at programming drums.  I have attached the stage setting, click phrase and bongo phrase in case anyone is interested.  I'm not sure how to transfer the modified drum kit (or if I need to).  I have the click phrase in U100 and the bongo phrase in U101 but you can put them wherever you want and modify the stage setting accordingly.

Thanks again for the help.

FeelinAlright.zip