Piano & Warm Pad Patch

rhincephalon

Hi!

I'm looking for a piano and warm pad patch for the PX-5S that has faders assigned to the volume control of each tone so that you can easily fade between a piano with a little pad behind it, to pad only and no piano. Or so that you could gradually fade in a pad, and then bring in the piano later. I am specifically looking for something to be used in a church context - so nothing too flashy.

I tried browsing the patches but couldn't quickly find anything that seemed to be what I was looking for. Does anyone have a patch they could share with me?

As an aside, I am a bit frustrated by the fact that the sliders on the Previa are often times by default set to control things like attack and chorus levels. Particularly on the Hex layers, I wish the default for the sliders were instead assigned to volume control between the different tones making up the patch. That would be a major improvement in my mind and is my personal suggestion for future product development. 

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hello,

No need for frustration at the sliders.  The sliders and knobs are designed to affect the entire stage setting by default.  In this case, a commonality would be for the assignments to change the overall processing of the sound for the entire stage setting.  Things like reverb, chorus, delay, EQ - all general defaults applied across all 4 zone.   If the stage setting isn't made including a Hex layer, then the controls generally apply to effecting the entire stage setting at once.

Now, in regards to your question, I don't have the time at the moment to build what you ask but can tell you the concept.  If you use a Hex layer (that's a sound/tone made up of 6 individual waves(samples)), you can set one of the waves to piano, and another wave to a warm pad.  In the stage setting, the sliders can be edited to control the volume for each of the layers.  

(The statement below is what I originally thought)

A hex layer is the only way you will be able to control the volume of two sounds in the same stage setting using the sliders.

(see dc2k's correction to my statement in the next post)

Take a look at the article on the Privia Pro-Blog.  Coincidentally it talks about a similar setting:

http://priviapro.wordpress.com/2014/10/03/controlling-layered-sounds-save-the-polyphony-for-later/

A hex layer is the only way you will be able to control the volume of two sounds in the same stage setting using the sliders.

It is possible without using hex layers.

Under edit>stage setting>zone>control you can turn off the controls for various zones. [use zone+/- buttons to flip between the zones in this menu]

So you can set both slider 1 and slider 2 to control volume [cc no.11 I think] in edit>stage setting>common

Then turn off slider 1 for zone 1 and turn off slider 2 for zone 2 and you have one slider controlling zone 1 volume and one slider controlling zone 2 volume.

Nice.  Now that you mention it, I remember reading about that but completely forgot.  Now I have to go home and play with trying to do that both ways!  So, does that mean it would be possible to set things up like you said and to also control the levels of a hex layer with the second target on the sliders?

So could I control the individual layer volumes of a hex layer and the volumes of the zones simultaneously?   Let's say I set up a hex layer to use 4 waves.  And I setup the stage setting with 4 tones, 1 per zone, zone 1 is a hex layer.  It seems it would be possible then to always have 2 sounds paired (a zone sound and a hex layer sound) and be able to control the volumes for each pair independently.