WK and CTK series NOT responding to Sysex data

Hi. I am trying to get my Casio keyboard to respond to incoming sysex data. I am certain all my connections are good because the Casio is accepting all other midi data from the same source (iPad Air running a midi app which also sends sysex data). All control changes (CC) are working fine when sent from iPad to Casio. I checked the sysex code multiple times and even verified that it was being sent properly via external software which shows the code it receives. The code I am sending is typed exactly as Casio has prescribed it in the midi implementation manual. Here it is:

F0 7F 7F 04 05 01 01 01 01 01 00 0A F7

It should change the reverb type to "stadium 2". I realize that midi messages don't show up on the LCD of the Casio. But the effect of the change to the sound source should still be apparent. It is very obvious when changed manually from a small reverb to a large one. I even sent the same code to the Casio directly from my sequencer software and still no effect. Can anyone solve this mystery? The code is the same for any WK7500 CTK7000 WK6500 or CTK6000. Can anyone receive sysex files? And How? Also note that in this instance the Casio is acting as a midi receiver and NOT a master keyboard for sending. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Bartolomeo

I do not know if you are still watching this thread for a reply, or if you found an answer to your original question, but here is a reply I made yesterday to a thread on a similar topic:

I connected my WIN-7 laptop, with its Class Compliant USB-MIDI drivers, to my CTK-7000 and tried sending REVERB TYPE and CHORUS TYPE SYSEX messages to it from Sonar, just as I had several weeks ago.  It still did not work.  After rereading the Sonar manual and doing some in-depth trouble shooting, I discovered that I was not embedding the Sysex codes properly into Sonar, so it really was not sending them.  Once this was corrected, the codes were sent, and the CTK-7000 responded perfectly, except that the codes shown in the CTK-7000/WK-7500 MIDI Implementation Manual are off by one for both items.  This would be the next to last hex byte immediately preceding the F7 termination byte.  For Reverb Type, the correct code choices are 00 thru 09, rather than 01 thru 0A as shown in the manual, and for Chorus Types - 00 thru 04, rather than 01 thru 05 as shown in the manual.  To see the changes reflected in the CTK/WK display, you must refresh the screen by pressing the RIGHT ARROW button once then the LEFT ARROW button once AFTER the Sysex codes are sent.

I then went back through my notes on my inability to get the CTK-7000's or WK-7500's sliders to transmit Continuous Controller (CC) messages via USB-MIDI and realized that this was only possible when the keyboard is in Drawbar Organ mode.  If I looked hard enough, I could probably find a statement to that effect in the manual somewhere.  Drawbar mode also enables the Rotary and Percussion buttons to transmit their respective CC messages.  I then noticed that I had overlooked the fact that the Tone Category buttons and Data Wheel transmit their CC messages even when the keyboard is not in Drawbar mode.  This now fits a comment made by another WK-7500 owner on a different forum that the Class Compliant USB-MIDI drivers are only limited when large amounts of data are being transmitted - large files, large data dumps, large Sysex Banks, extremely long Sysex messages, etc.  The problem appears to be buffer overflow related.  For the items we have discussed in relation to this matter up to now, Class Compliant MIDI drivers should not be a problem.

As to the question of using the CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX units as MIDI Controllers, there is still a major limitation.  The CC, RPN, and NRPN messages sent by the various buttons and sliders are not "assignable".  They are not programmable.  They are not changeable.  The codes/messages they transmit are fixed by design to what the keyboard needs for its own internal use.  So, unless the device to be controlled can be programmed to accept whatever the CTK/WK is sending and perform the desired operation, the usefulness of this communication would be very limited, but it does open up the possibilities of what can be transmitted to and recorded by DAW software.  I think the message here is that if you want/need a MIDI Controller keyboard, you are much better off purchasing exactly that.  Trying to make a workstation, particularly an arranger workstation, do double duty as a controller usually ends up being just a compromise with a lot of short comings.

The above refers to a CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX connected to a Windows based PC, but I also have an iPad-3 that I connect to them via the iPad Camera Connector kit.  When I try to send Sysex messages from the Symphonix Evolution sequencer app, the CTK/WK does not respond, but when I send the same Sysex messages from the "MIDI Toolkit" app the CTK/WK responds exactly as it should, so this tells us that the iPad DOES support transmission of Sysex and the CTK/WK is capable of responding to them.  I suspect that my problem is that, like with Sonar on the PC, I just have not learned how to correctly send Sysex from Symphonix.  I wonder if you could be having the same problem.  What app are you using to send your Sysex messages ?  Sysex support would be a function of the operating system, not the hardware, so the iPad Air hardware should be just as capable of supporting it as the older iPad hardware.  Because of user reported problems of running iOS7 and iOS8 on the older iPads, I have stayed with iOS6 for now, but I can not believe that Apple would have abandoned Sysex support on the newer versions (assuming you are running iOS7 or 8), or I would surely have seen something to that effect on the forums.