Video Files on Forum ×

PX-5S, external modules and USB recording question

Iceman

Hello!  :)

At first, I would like to thank all the members and everyone involved for this amazing place! It's a great source of information and one of the most friendly and nice places to be. I have joined the board and I hope to become the owner of Casio PX-5S soon! It sounds like a true dream come true to me, especially the fact that it can run on batteries. Living in a country and a place where electricity problems and sudden power jumps can leave you in musical silence, it is a true saving grace!  :wub: It looks like the instrument will instantly switch to battery power if the normal power suddenly goes out. Hopefully, I understood it right! 

I have a question regarding the use of the external sound modules and the USB recording ability of PX-5s. As far as I could tell from the manual and the different forums, PX-5S can recording raw WAVE data from what comes out from the instrument's out. Am I right? I have an old sound module called Roland JV1010 which has MIDI IN, OUT and THROUGH. Would it be possible to record the sounds from this external module to the USB stick through PX-5s? If so, how do I connect it or will the usual MIDI do in this situation? Or do I have to connect the sound output of JV1010 to the input of PX-5s? In order not to break anything, I just wanted to make sure if it is possible at all.  :D Ideally, I would like to mix the sounds from Casio's internal collection with JV1010 and record it to USB.

Another question that comes up in my head is: would it be possible to use the arpeggiator in PX-5s along with the external sound modules or it's only applicable to the built-in sounds in Casio?  

Any thoughts and inputs would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! 

-- Iceman

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Iceman and welcome to the forums!

• Yes. The PX-5s will do uninterrupted switchover to battery power whenever or however mains fail.  
  • Yes.  The PX-5s audio recorder will record audio fed into both it's 1/4" line input and 1/8" audio input jacks as well as it's own internal sounds.  Connect the PX-5s via midi cables to your JV1010.  Then connect the JV1010 audio outs to the line in of the PX-5s.  
  • Yes.  You can arpeggiate any external sound module using the PX-5s.  The PX-5s arpeggiator will send notes out via midi.  
  • Like 2

• Yes.  You can arpeggiate any external sound module using the PX-5s.  The PX-5s arpeggiator will send notes out via midi.  

^^ This is one of the COOLEST features of the PX-5S (and the XW synths) - not all keyboards with arpeggiators  can do this. REALLY breathes new life into those mid-late 80s synths that lack an arp!

• Like 2

Dear Brad! Thank you so much for the welcome and your detailed reply! It feels so nice to be here and I am already learning so much!  :)

It's amazing that Casio can do all these things that I need. It is just as if someone knew all of my requirements exactly and followed each little detail. It is an instrument made for musicians and I am sincerely hoping to become a happy owner as soon as possible. The fact that it runs on batteries and leaves you without having to worry for the power failures makes it unique and probably the only instrument out there with such useful feature. It lets you play anywhere and compose right away, as I see it. And being able to record directly to USB is a dream come true. Thank you for letting me know how to hook it all up to my old Roland's sound module!  :) Now the part about arpeggiator turns Casio PX-5S into a truly powerful instrument and I am already thinking of what should become possible now... Thank you so much again! 

@Scott Hamlin, thank you for replying!  :D I agree that it's one of the coolest features. I wasn't sure if it was possible, so I decided to ask. Usually, I would get a negative reply whenever I would ask about this or that instrument. I am thinking about those mid-late 80s synthesizers you mentioned. It was just what I was thinking. For example, turning Roland's D-50 into arp would be awesome! 

Now I am wondering what would I need technically to connect Casio PX-5S to computer (probably via USB?) and use two sound modules together? I know that both sound modules that I am planning to use have MIDI THROUGH to them (one of them is JV1010 I mentioned before). Would you advice a dedicated MIDI interface or three MIDI cables would do just fine? Having 4 zones on PX-5S could probably make it into: internal sounds for two zones, sound module 1, sound module 2 for the rest. Could it be possible? Thank you again. I apologize if I should ask about it in a new topic, but still thought that I would ask here. Still learning, being a guitar player and a singer who wants to play piano / synth.  ;)

Take a good care and God bless! 

-- Iceman (Denis)

• Like 1

Hi Denis,

For connecting to your computer, the PX-5s uses a common "printer usb cable".  Google that and you'll see the cable you need.

Here's a little tip for the PX-5s Zones.  Each zone has 3 independent sends for midi.  

1)Internal Sound Generator Out  

2)USB Midi Out  

3)MIDI Din out  

For each zone, each send has it's own on/off switch.  This will come in handy for you for use with external modules.

For the modules, I would suggest starting with simple midi thru first.  In the future, you can step up to an interface if need be. 

• Like 2

@Scott Hamlin, thank you for replying!  :D I agree that it's one of the coolest features. I wasn't sure if it was possible, so I decided to ask. Usually, I would get a negative reply whenever I would ask about this or that instrument. I am thinking about those mid-late 80s synthesizers you mentioned. It was just what I was thinking. For example, turning Roland's D-50 into arp would be awesome! 

I have  D-50 and have done exactly that. Video coming soon!

• Like 2

Scott, that would be truly amazing to hear and see D-50 in action along with the Casio PX-5s! While we are at D-50 part, I would like to ask if one particular setup is possible. I connect PX-5S to MIDI ports in D-50, so there is connection between the two. But what if I need to link D-50 to librarian and sound editor that's in computer? Would it be possible to do it somehow or additional MIDI equipment is necessary? I mean, for example: I connect my JV1010 with Casio, that leaves me with MIDI THROUGH port on JV1010. Would it be possible to use it to chain-link with the other devices and/or computer librarian? Still new to MIDI setups, but trying to learn my way! :) 

Another question: If I want to record the sound from VSTi instruments (NI Kontakt libraries, for example) to USB stick of PX-5s, do I have to connect the outputs from the external soundcard that I have to the inputs of Casio or what would be the correct way to do it, if possible?  :rolleyes:

And last question for now: would any USB stick with any capacity work fine with PX-5S? Are there any recommendations in this regard? Thank you!  :)

Your friend Denis

I'll leave the first part to Scott.  As for the rest......

Another question: If I want to record the sound from VSTi instruments (NI Kontakt libraries, for example) to USB stick of PX-5s, do I have to connect the outputs from the external soundcard that I have to the inputs of Casio or what would be the correct way to do it, if possible?  :rolleyes:

Correct.  

And last question for now: would any USB stick with any capacity work fine with PX-5S? Are there any recommendations in this regard? Thank you!  :)

32GB is the maximum compatible.  But the PX-5s files are super tiny.  You would have a hard time using a fraction of a 2GB thumb drive.  The largest files the thumb drive will see are the audio wave files. 

• Like 1

Scott, that would be truly amazing to hear and see D-50 in action along with the Casio PX-5s! While we are at D-50 part, I would like to ask if one particular setup is possible. I connect PX-5S to MIDI ports in D-50, so there is connection between the two. But what if I need to link D-50 to librarian and sound editor that's in computer? Would it be possible to do it somehow or additional MIDI equipment is necessary? I mean, for example: I connect my JV1010 with Casio, that leaves me with MIDI THROUGH port on JV1010. Would it be possible to use it to chain-link with the other devices and/or computer librarian? Still new to MIDI setups, but trying to learn my way! :)

I think your best  bet is to get a MIDI box like the iConnectivity MIDI. They make a 2 or a 4 MIDI I/O. Check them out: 

http://www.iconnectivity.com/

• Like 1