Video Files on Forum ×

Interesting competitor to PX series?

Just came across a new Yamaha 88-key (MOXF8) which struck me-because of the weight, supposedly 33 pounds total for a full graded/weighted key action in a full workstation. Plastic case like the Privias. Looks like Yamaha must have gotten wind of Casio's new designs. Only one major catch-it costs twice as much as most retail prices for the PX5s, PX Privia pianos etc. Now if Casio could turn around and make a full workstation like this with 88-weighted keys and all the existing features of say...the XWs and PX5s combined (many features overlap anyway) at a lower price-say around the same as the PX5s- I'd buy one yesterday! Would take this much though to make me part with the XW-P1 and PX-350. Very tempting.

I know what you mean by tempting the price difference budget wise made me sway to the PX5S NOT! to my regret I was eyebawling the PX5S anyway.

The MOXF8 would complement much in what I like in music either the MOXF6 will fill that space or a Korg in a few years or so workstations certainly shorten time in noodling a song together but one with a big library of sounds closes the gap bigtime. 

Just came across a new Yamaha 88-key (MOXF8) which struck me-because of the weight, supposedly 33 pounds total for a full graded/weighted key action in a full workstation. Plastic case like the Privias. Looks like Yamaha must have gotten wind of Casio's new designs. Only one major catch-it costs twice as much as most retail prices for the PX5s, PX Privia pianos etc. Now if Casio could turn around and make a full workstation like this with 88-weighted keys and all the existing features of say...the XWs and PX5s combined (many features overlap anyway) at a lower price-say around the same as the PX5s- I'd buy one yesterday! Would take this much though to make me part with the XW-P1 and PX-350. Very tempting.

Who knows what the next NAMM might bring from Casio?   No crystal ball here, just saying.

It's quite clear that keyboard manufacturers (Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Casio and even Kurzweil) are already starting to offer their lightweight value-oriented keyboard offerings. The MOXF8 and Roland FA-08 being Yamaha's and Roland's "lightweight" and relatively affordable workstation offerings, respectively.

If you already have the PX-5S, and are still tempted to go for the MOXF series, the most logical thing to do is to get the "best of both world's" by opting for the MOXF6 instead as a 2nd-tier. That way, you can still have the benefit of a weighted 88-key keyboard/controller and the rompler-sounds of the Motif line through the MOXF6 (you can create a stage setting in the PX-5S that can control the MOXF6).

I recently bought a Roland FA-06 after considering other options like the MOXF6, Krome 61 & 73 and even arranger-type keyboards like the Korg PA-600, Casio WK-7600 and Yamaha PSR-750 to make up for what the PX-5S lacked and in the process complement it (e.g. 16-track MIDI song/sequencer, expression/control pedal input, assignable physical pads and a more intuitive GUI). I ended up getting the Roland FA-06 after almost getting the MOXF6.

I truly hope Casio releases a workstation keyboard that will have better sampled strings, brass, guitars, actual MIDI In/Out in addition to the USB-MIDI-only port and provide it with controller features (4-zone capabilities or more, DAW-mode, sliders capable of transmitting control CC's). In other words, the same "formula" that made it work for them when they released the PX-5S.

Would be nice-a true piano-action workstation-just add a few features to the PX5s like you described, I bet you'd see alot of pros and others jump ship if the price was right.

After I added a little more felt cushioning to the PX-350 key assembly (was hard but did it see my other nutty post) it plays like a dream-it even seems like I can hear the "harp" overtones I didn't notice before when using sustain. This is a really innovative key action, and with the extra felt, I think it takes what could be a damaging shock out of the entire assembly and makes it infinitely more comfortable to play and will probably hold up better over time. So put that with a bunch of programmable sliders to control whatever you want, maybe better samples for some of the orchestral sounds, a true multi-track sequencer and this would be an instrument like no other. The slim-line approach as on the PX5s and Privia pianos is very cool. Alot of these  workstations are still very wide front to back, take up alot of room so keep the slim body design (a Ferrari, not an SUV).

I know some of you have already posted your new "hybrid Casios", but still thinking of creating my own "hybrid". Take the WK7500/7600, add the features from the XWs (sampling, step sequencer, better Leslie control) put the PX 88-key action on it and some better orchestra samples and voila, new killer workstation! (I know it's crazy, get the saw!)......Moe Howard