Video Files on Forum ×

Recording with FL studio and XW-P1 as a controller

Hello guys. I've searched youtube to no avail because i dont know to ask the right questions. I dont even know what im looking for on youtube, and all i know is that I dont like what i hear when i record.

Im trying to use FL studio 11, but im completely new to recording. I learned how to use a lot of the tools and its functionality, yet i dont know what im doing. I can make a good song in it however i keep asking myself:

1- Should the monitor bars ever touch red? Im guessing not cuz that could create distortion even tho i dont hear distortion when it hits red.

2- Even thou i placed limiters on my channels at -1 db to make sure each individual channel and the master channel never hit red, why do my monitor bars hit red?

3- Sometimes when a powerful bass kicks in (w/ a limiter at -1db) i hear the most annoying thing ever; why does the volume of my other channels goes really low when a bass begins to sound at key points where its supposed to have pressence? Why does my strong drum kicks do that as well?

4- All volumes are at 100% including master, but i placed limiters to stop the sound from going above -1db. How do u set up volumes?

5- When i compare what I create to other people's work why does my work sound like when you try to talk with your mouth covered? I dont notice till i compare. Is this what the so called mix is supposed to fix? 

6- Also what is a mix? Is it basically what makes the song sound clearer and brighter, or do i just really suck at using my software and everything sounds muddy?

Sorry to ask so many questions but youtube just keeps trying to teach me for example 'how to mix' when i dont know in the first place how a mix changes the sound or if its something more subtly and my muddiness comes from inexperience. It seems that even the amateur people who make beats all got an advantage over me. 

It all comes down to 1 question; why does my work sound like doo doo in comparison to pretty much everyone? If only youtube knew what i was trying to ask it :/

I've learned a massive amount of things in just a couple of weeks but none of the things i've learned have changed my sound quality. Maybe i got bad software settings? 

Can anyone help me? I dont wanna be the best, i just wanna sound normal and i dont have a person to help me, only random youtube videos.