Video Files on Forum ×

Taming the acoustic piano: Smooth Piano

smaug

I did the first gig on Saturday with the PX-5S, replacing a 15 year old 24kg Korg SGproX. The setting was a big band. The 11kg was a joy to transport and setup.

Most of the songs required acoustic piano. I had pre-configured a variation on the default concert piano with a lower cutoff frequency, however the sound engineer still complained of a very metallic sound that was difficult to tame. The more mellow tones (mellow and classical presets) were not a significant improvement and lost the presence of the attack.

I spent a large part of Sunday examining the piano tone in more detail with help from a frequency spectrum in Logic. What I have found is that the attack of the samples sounds fine, but when the sample soon reaches the looped section, typically within about 1 sec of the start, there is a pronounced change in tone with much more "zing". Looking at this in Logic, with middle C (261Hz) there is a pronounced increase in the 2.1kHz (7th harmonic) relative to the other harmonics during the looping. This causes an increase in the zing of sustained notes, building up in chords and pedalling. It is due to the use of very short loops in the samples (of the order of wavelengths) which adds it's own harmonic colour, compared with a longer loop (> 0.1 sec).

My solution has been to build a piano tone from scratch using the four velocity-layered waves and implementing a LPF which kicks in after about a second to try and squash these harmonics. This has produced a much improved tone on sustained notes, but still retaining the bright attack.

The resulting tone is not perfect by any means, so if anyone has any other suggestions for improving this further, please edit it and upload. I'd really like to get a more usable tone from the instrument before resorting to an external sound source.

SMOOTH_P.ZPF.zip

• Like 3