Hey everyone,

I am an owner of the XW-P1 keyboard and would like to be able to use the instruments from the keyoard as midi instruments in logic.  Is it possible to do without setting up an EXS24 sampler for each sound every time?  It's fun making my own synths with it, but using the original would save some time and busy work when I like the sound CASIO made for us to use. 

I have the controller plugged into an interface and the interface plugs into my computer.  I have also plugged it in directly.  My MacBook Pro has the ability to control the CASIO XW-P1 to scroll through instruments but it only records MIDI time data and the instrument choice comes from Logic. 

Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks so much.

GoldKicks

Ok, I'll offer a reply with one important disclaimer: I do not own, nor have I ever played a XW-P1 (so someone with a better answer, please rush in here!)...

From your OP is sounds like you want to use Logic to capture your playing on the WX-P1's keys, then play that MIDI information back into the WX-P1 to fire its internal CASIO sounds, either presets or sounds that you have sculpted yourself.

If that is what you are trying to do, this should be fairly easy. First, I would be surprised if using Logic's internal EXS24 synth sound is the way to go at all.

Instead try this:

1. In Logic, create an External Midi instrument track (not an internal one). Assign your MIDI out from your WX-P1 to be received by this External Midi track within Logic.

2. In Logic, also create an Audio track. Assign the audio out from your WX-P1 lines into your Logic program as the audio record/monitor sound source. You will need to do this through whatever your digital audio interface hooks-up are provided in your setup.

3. Test to ensure that your Logic tracks are receiving signal (Midi info to the external midi track; audio signal from the line outs of your WX-P1).

4. Go ahead and record whatever you like in Logic while playing your CASIO keyboard.

5. Now, replay the Logic external midi track - making sure that your WX-P1 is RECEIVING the midi signal FROM Logic. I.e., set up your WX-P1 to follow the midi info it is now getting from Logic as the source.

6. While #5 above is taking place, you should be able to change the voices, presets, whatever, on your WX-P1 while listening to your previously midi performance that was captured into Logic now "playing" your WX-P1 automatically.

A few tips:

To facilitate set-up of all of these connections and to debug some problems until you get it right, use the loop feature in Logic to repeat a busy passage of your midi track over and over. Also: if you can't hear the audio within Logic, at various stages, plug headphones into the WX-P1 and then your audio interface and/or monitor software of your Mac, to track down where the connection needs to be fixed.

Again, if someone who knows a lot more about the WX-P1 (compared to my "zero") can chime in, you may save GoldKicks some missteps in what I've described above.