Video Files on Forum ×

Can I rely on a Privia PX-5s?

Alex314

Ive been using 1 for about 7 months now, gigging quite a bit, n I lug it everywhere.

I do have 2 pillows in my hatch that I lay it on while traveling. When Im not playing,

I practice on it everyday, sometimes leaving it on for hours at a time.

I sometimes do 6 to 8 gigs a week, n as I said, its been a trouper so far.

Its also taken a few pretty good knoks, once falling off a dolly and landed

on a blacktop drive. Only about a foot in its px3 case. Fired up ok.

That one had me worried. I also have a px3 that I literally beat the snot

out of, n that still works ok also.

• Like 2

The Privias, and Casios in general, are very durable. I know of several PX-100s still going strong - they are over 10 years old. There are also a TON of Casio synths from the early 80s and beyond still operating just like new.

Like everything else, you need to take care of it if you want it to last. The number one thing is keeping dust out. Keep it covered when not in use, clean it when it needs it,  and keep the room it's in nice and clean

• Like 1

I'm thinking of buying a PX-5s, so I would like to know if these Privia pianos are durable.

Can they last at least 5 years?

(I'm a intermediate player and I'm planning on studying some classical music, about 1 hour a day). 

I still have the following Casio keyboards that are still alive and kicking:

1) Casio CTK-811EX (way back in 1998 or 1999) - this along with Voyetra music software introduced me to 16-track MIDI song sequencing. I've only had to replace the rubber contacts under the middle octave keys (octave of middle C).

2) Casio Privia PX-320 (bought back in 2008) - still alive and kicking. Nowadays, I'm just using this as a purely Pianoteq 5 88-key controller. My PX-320 is 6 years old. No problems with the board/circuit other than the keys that have gotten a little loose over constant use/practice.

And last year, I got a PX-5S and so far so good.

There might be lemons that can be encountered from time to time but these affect not only Casio but other keyboard manufacturers as well. Over all, I'd like to think that Casio products are reasonably durable. I'd prefer, however, that all keyboards (including Casio's) return to being "Made in Japan" as I think that most electronic products in the past that were "Made in Japan" had amazing durability.

• Like 1

Scott,

any suggestion to keep the PX-5S clean?

Really all you need is a soft cloth lightly dampened with a mild dish soap solution. The most important thing is to keep it from getting dirty in the first place: keep it covered, wash your hands before playing, wipe it down on a regular basis.

I know the white is polarizing - people seem to love it or hate it. Personally, I think it looks great! One cool thing is the way it takes on the colors of stage lights. 

15rd1c1.jpg

The white's never bothered me, although Ive had the urge to remove the Casio name and put Maytag on it.

But that comes from people asking me what it is. It does say Casio on the front.

Stay light on the feet and keep good houmer...humer...huomer...humor.