What's What?

smithh

As a new user of the PX 5S I'd be grateful of replies to these questions. They concern what's at which level of editing:

1. The Sys Setting button

--------------------------------

It contains options such as Temperament and Touch, among others. Do they all apply across all Stage Settings? Or do they apply to each Stage Setting? In other words, what is global and what is Stage Setting specific?

2. The DSP button

-----------------------

Same question. Is this a master DSP or a Stage Setting DSP or a Tone DSP?

3. The System button

---------------------------

Pressing it takes you to a screen called "Sys Effects".  Two questions:

3a. If this is effects, how does that relate to DSP above - which is also a system effect??

3b. Do the changes under the "System" button relate to individual Stage Settings, or to Tones, or global?

4. The Master button

---------------------------

This contains options such as Compressor, EQ ..... once again, are these global, Stage Setting specific or Tone specific?

Thank you for any help. 

You might want to study this flow chart for effects.

http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/Web_PX5S-E-2A.pdf#page=8

As far as the system setting button.  Everything there is global.  It affects all stage setting.  

Stage settings themselves have memory for most everything else on the PX-5s.  They can even store user tones and user arpeggios.  The only exceptions are user phrases and song sequences.   

I must admit, finding it hard to understand. Let me see if I have it right:

The "Sys Settings" button is a set of global parameters, affecting all stage settings. 

The DSP button I need to study in a flowchart.

The System button settings are saved in each stage setting. (the name is confusing???  System?? Sys Settings?? Very similar

The Master button settings are saved in each stage setting. (again, Master seems to imply otherwise)

The sys setting button is global. There is only one way to reach that setting page and is by pressing that button.

If you make a change here, it will apply to any stage setting you then select until you turn off your machine unless I think you have "auto resume" in this menu set to on.

##########

The DSP button applies to each zone. You can also reach this menu by pressing edit>tone>effect>DSP edit. The button is just a shortcut to this menu.

So you can apply an effect, exit the menu and switch zones by pressing the zone - / zone + button and then apply another effect to another zone. When you choose a new stage setting, the DSP effects saved for that stage setting will load.

##########

The system button is a short cut to the same menu you would arrive it if you pressed edit>stage setting>system effect edit.

These apply to an entire stage setting so say for example you edit the type of reverb you want whether its Hall1, Hall2, Plate or custom etc . If you then apply reverb to any zone in a particular stage setting, it gets this reverb applied. You can't apply plate reverb to zone 1 and hall1 reverb to zone 2. All zones have to have the same type of reverb. 

You can though set a different Reverb send value for each zone in your stage setting so you might like zone 1 to have no reverb so you set its reverb send value to 0 while zone 2's reverb send value is set to 127. You can find the Reverb send value (and chorus send and delay send) for each zone in two places:

edit>stage setting>zone edit>mixer edit

edit>tone>effect

Reverb, Chorus and Delay send are often frequently mapped to sliders 4,5,6 in many default stage settings. If you want to apply reverb to zone 1 but not to zone 2, here is the short cut:

Turn all the zones off bar the one you want to apply reverb to by pressing the zone+/zone- buttons together on any zone. Then use the slider to apply reverb, then turn back on the other zones.

The system effect is local to a stage setting, you change the stage setting, you get whatever that stage setting was saved with.

#########

By default The compressor option in the master settings is global to the keyboard. It does not matter if a zone is off or on. By default If you change the compressor options, it will apply to any zone in any stage setting you select. Again if you have "auto resume" set to on in the sys setting menu, any adjustments you made to the compressor will load the next time you turn your keyboard on. Nearly sure about that though I would like some clarification. I leave that option off so I'm not sure.

However in the sys setting menu, under general you will also find a menu called "stage set filter". Here you will see "compressor" set to "on" and "equalizer" set to off by default. That compressor is set to on means, any changes you make to the compressor options carries onto the next stage setting. You can set this to off if you like so it doesn't. You can set the other options on or off too so it depends whether you want changes you made to the equalizer to carry to the next stage setting you want. If you set Arpgeggio to On here for example, every stage setting you load will have the last arpeggios you selected for the zones in the previous stage setting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Auto resume remembers and restores every tweaked parameter on the keyboard after a power restart.  

The exception is this. When auto resume restores settings at power up, it recalls the last SAVED stage setting in use.  If that stage setting was in the process of being edited, but those changes were not saved, those changes will be lost at power down.  

Note:  It's important to understand what is written in memory as a stage setting so as to know what constitutes "editing" a stage setting.   As dc2k pointed out above, the best way to do this is to look at everything that can be found after pressing the EDIT button.  This includes the stage setting and tone submenus. The tones used in the 4 zones of a stage setting are stored in that stage setting if you edit the tone, then save the stage setting.  

One more thing to understand....  There is an interaction between stage setting filters and auto resume.  

For example:  If the master compressor stage setting filter is ON, stage settings no longer have control of the compressor.  For filters that are on, auto resume takes over the duty of remembering the last saved state.  When the stage setting filter is OFF for master compressor, the settings for it are recalled from the last saved stage setting.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

"The system button is a short cut to the same menu you would arrive it if you pressed edit>stage setting>system effect edit.

These apply to an entire stage setting so say for example you edit the type of reverb you want whether its Hall1, Hall2, Plate or custom etc . If you then apply reverb to any zone in a particular stage setting, it gets this reverb applied. You can't apply plate reverb to zone 1 and hall1 reverb to zone 2."

ARE YOU SURE THE ABOVE IS TRUE, dc2k?  I THINK I DID A SPLIT WITH ONE VOICE IN HALL2 AND THE OTHER IN ROOM. 

• 3 years later...
On 11/19/2014 at 3:17 PM, Brad said:

Auto resume remembers and restores every tweaked parameter on the keyboard after a power restart.  

The exception is this. When auto resume restores settings at power up, it recalls the last SAVED stage setting in use.  If that stage setting was in the process of being edited, but those changes were not saved, those changes will be lost at power down.  

Note:  It's important to understand what is written in memory as a stage setting so as to know what constitutes "editing" a stage setting.   As dc2k pointed out above, the best way to do this is to look at everything that can be found after pressing the EDIT button.  This includes the stage setting and tone submenus. The tones used in the 4 zones of a stage setting are stored in that stage setting if you edit the tone, then save the stage setting.  

One more thing to understand....  There is an interaction between stage setting filters and auto resume.  

For example:  If the master compressor stage setting filter is ON, stage settings no longer have control of the compressor.  For filters that are on, auto resume takes over the duty of remembering the last saved state.  When the stage setting filter is OFF for master compressor, the settings for it are recalled from the last saved stage setting.  

Hey Brad, I was going through the system settings today and I realised In the stage set filters, compressor is set to ON

I think this is the default for the board and it gets set to ON every time I turn on the board even when I turn it to OFF.

If I understand you correctly, the compressor paramaters will be universal and be whatever they were when I last saved any stage setting unless I have the compressor in the stage set filters set to OFF. 

These are the current parameters set for the compressor and I guess they are applied across all the stage settings:

Compressor:

Threshold | 004

ratio | 000

level | 53

attack | 0

release | 127 

position | postEQ

What would you suggest the parameters be set to if I wanted to bypass the compressor or what would be the best universal params to set them as if it is not possible to bypass it? 

I'm guessing I probably messed around with the compressor parameters and saved a stage setting at some point so these params are used across all stage settings.

If I initialised the board, would all the stage settings have different compressors parameters?