Sustain pedal options for WK-6500

paisan

I've had issues with sustain pedals for this workstation. If I try to plug and play using the assignable jack (after choosing sustain under Performance options), what I get is sustain of all notes as opposed to a typical sustain function. I've tried with several brands of pedals with no luck. My keyboardist friend tells me I need a polarity switch. Casio tells me that their SP-3 pedal should work with the workstation, but that pedal sucks.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or does the M-Audio SP-2 sustain pedal work for this keyboard?

I'm not sure what you mean by a sustain of all notes, but different keyboards require different types of sustain pedals.  The switches inside most pedals are fixed at either "normally open" or "normally closed."    If the switch in the pedal doesn't match how the keyboard is set up, the pedal will usually sustain notes when it's not pressed and stop sustaining when it IS pressed, the opposite of what is wanted (in most cases).  Some pedals can be changed by switching the wires, while others can't.  I used to use a pedal with my Wavestation that I switched the wires on so it would  (without having to be pressed) sustain my wave sequences while I played other stuff on my ESQ-1.  I think it might have been a Yamaha pedal of some sort, but I'm not sure.  That was a loooong time ago. :(  :D   The SP-2 has a switch on the bottom that allows it to be configured either way, so it can be used with basically any keyboard in either config. you want (either sustain while not pressed or sustain only while pressed). 

Thanks for your reply. What I mean by "sustain of all notes" is that rather than the sound resonating after the key is lifted and then gradually dying away as it would on a piano, it just sustains the note at the same volume forever. Does that make sense? I'm new to keyboards (I'm a pianist), so this is a weird function for me.

Okay. I see what you're saying.  I can't really help you with that.  I've rarely used sustain pedals on my synths for their intended purpose, and my 6200 is the first keyboard I've owned with actual piano sounds on it, which I've yet to even plug a pedal into.   I'd imagine a dedicated digital piano would have some sort of envelope that responds to pedal input to give you that natural acoustic decay (or something like that), but I'm not sure how these lower end, more general purpose keyboards are set up in that regard. Sorry. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your reply. What I mean by "sustain of all notes" is that rather than the sound resonating after the key is lifted and then gradually dying away as it would on a piano, it just sustains the note at the same volume forever. Does that make sense? I'm new to keyboards (I'm a pianist), so this is a weird function for me.

I'm using WK 6600. It works normally on me for the piano sounds like what piano sustains supposed to do (the sound does gradually dying away). Synths are exceptional.