Video Files on Forum ×

PX-150 USB connection to PC

JohnEagle

What kind of USB cable do I need to connect PX-150 to a PC for recording and as a controller? Is there a special USB cable for connecting digital instruments to PC?

How long can it be? I read something about Yamaha P-105 that the cable has to be under 3 meters.

Is this USB cable good? 

Hama USB 2.0 gold-plated

https://ro.hama.com/portal?action=2563&articleId=30050113

And I understand that I need a lighting to usb cable to connect it to an iPad 2 tablet. Could you recommend one?

Thank you!

That cable looks OK, as long as you understand this will only transmit/receive midi data to/from the PX to a computer to record with a software midi sequencer, or to play midi files installed in your computer to play back on the PX. There are many freeware and professional programs for midi playback or recording.

Depending upon your operating system (Windows needs a driver I don't think Apple OS needs one installed) you may also need to install the Casio midi driver available on Casio's website.

Some one else here will have to help you with the iPad question, I don't use one. As far as length, I've used 6 foot midi cables with no problems. There could be some data loss with longer cables.

• Like 1

You don't need a fancy gold plated USB cable. Any cable will work fine - they are just trying to squeeze a few more lei out of you. As JM stated, this cable is only good for MIDI data.

If you want to record direct on the PC - you need these
41aIhd0iHVL._SY355_.jpg
^^ Unbalanced, 1/4" instrument cables.. a pair of them if you want to record in stereo. You also need some way to get them into your PC - an audio interface is best. If your computer has a 1/8" (3.5mm) line in jack, you may try something like this :
mvL_ghjtUaGuN04jOQXLq8A.jpg

Now on to the iPad: If you have an iPad 2 I am pretty sure you need a 30pin to USB connector, NOT a Lightning. 

Does the bottom of your iPad look like this:
ipad-3-port.jpg

OR like this: 
IMG-0054-1.jpg

Get back to us - we will help you on your musical journey!

CHEERS!

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies!

Yes, your right, it is a 30 pin connector

This is what you want then.. it comes with both, but you use the one of the left. The one on the right is for SD cards. Get the genuine Apple 30 pin CCK.  Don't buy a knock-off - they usually don't work. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

41o0frFOi4L._SX522_.jpg

• Like 1