Video Files on Forum ×

WK-3800 "Frozen Keyboard"

BillyMac

Every now and then my WK-3800 freezes.  By that I mean that it keeps on playing the same tempo, rhythm, tone, etc., and is unresponsive to pressing any of the keys or buttons, including the Power button.  The only way to get it to function properly again is to unplug the power cord and re-plug it.

I suspect that it occurs due to some very short power change (surge or drop).  I've tried using a power conditioner, albeit a cheap one, but the problem still occurs once in a while.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any thoughts on other possible causes?  Solutions?

Thanks. 

Sorry, Bill !  I have never had that problem with my WK-3800.  You might try wiggling the connection where the lead from the power adapter plugs into the keyboard.  Those can get a little sloppy with age.  The sad part is, if that is your problem, it is usually the connector that is mounted inside the keyboard that is worn.  Also, wiggle the same lead at the point it goes inside the power adapter.  They can go bad there if the lead is wrapped around the adapter when it is not in use.  If that is where the problem is, you can purchase a new adapter.  If this is really bothersome, you can try running the keyboard on batteries for a while.  If the lockups occur while on batteries, then you most likely have an internal problem.

Ted, thanks for the info and suggestions.  I'll check them out.

FYI - I use the 3800 for live gigs and, back on the power blips theme, I'm wondering if a cause of the freezing could be that I have too many devices plugged into the power strip.  I'm going to attempt to isolate the 3800 from the rest of my stuff and see what happens.  I'll post findings as appropriate.  Thanks.

Billy 

• 1 month later...

Ted, the connector and adapter look good as far as I can tell.  Haven't tried batteries yet.

We had a couple of gigs during which I isolated the 3800 and had no problems.  Since the freeze problem has been very intermittent, this small sample size is probably inconclusive.  But I'm going to continue with the isolation theme and will report if the problem rears its ugly head again.  Thanks.

Billy

Billy

I looks like you are on your way to resolving this problem.  If you have any piece of gear that has a thermostatically controlled cooling fan, it could generate a spike when the fan switches off.  Even a small fan can generate a fairly sizable inductive spike on switch-off, if it is not properly suppressed.  Also, if you are running several stacks of Marshall type amps all on the same very long undersized extension cord, I suppose the amps could cause an appreciable voltage drop across the cord when the amps peak, but I would assume that this would cause other obvious audio problems at the same time.

Good luck with this !  I sure hope it does not turn out to be a problem with your WK-3800.

BTW - Check your email !