Video Files on Forum ×

Problem with notes changing

Nee

I'm new to the forum and have a coupla questions I'd really appreciate your help with guys on the XW-G1. First up:- Whenever I record a chord or melody line in the step sequencer it always changes the tone to a full tone or more higher. It's as if it's transposing or raising the pitch of everything that goes in. I have looked for a solution before posing this but it's got me beat- Is there something wrong with my machine maybe? While I'm here can I ask a cheeky question about changing the volume of the tone you play vs the step sequencer which is really soft. I imagine this is pretty straightforward.

Welcome to the forums.

Are you using the step edit function?  It might help if you explain your exact button presses.  

As far as volume, that's essentially a mixer function.  You can edit the zone volumes of a performance or the mixer volume of channels 1-4 or the step sequencer mixer levels to achieve a balance level.  You can find this by pressing the mixer button or for performances by pressing Edit>Zone Param>Volume

Thanks BradMZ. I've never posted a question to a forum before but that's no excuse for not being clear. I press stepseq then edit then choose step edit. When I press start for the sequencer it picks up what I play but instead of playing the sequence of notes I play it plays a tone and a half higher. Eg if I press 'C' it plays 'Eb'. Thanks for helping me with the mixer settings.

>Update

I discovered when I turned the machine back on that the sliders need to be on the middle, one of them I think the third one along was assigned to pitch and when it was not zeroed it was throwing everything out. It looks like the sliders have different functions at different times which is why I couldn't locate this. Thanks.

!> update to update: In edit / track parameters / is a function called KEYSHIFT which was enabled (as default!?) I turned this off which solved the problem. Not easy getting to grips with this purchase tbh.

• Like 4

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm looking at workflow now, how to organise work so onto performance mode, phrases, chains and then later on, linking with iPad- so expect there'll be another post before too long.. I think XW-G1 as a budget instrument has great sounds and is a good sketch area for getting ideas down. All da best

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm looking at workflow now, how to organise work so onto performance mode, phrases, chains and then later on, linking with iPad- so expect there'll be another post before too long.. I think XW-G1 as a budget instrument has great sounds and is a good sketch area for getting ideas down. All da best

While I am not a newbie to synths, I too was a newbie (and still learning about it) to the XW-G1 back in February 2014. The manual is not very good but this forum is great with many knowledgeable people. So you have found the right place to ask questions for help. The XW-G1 is a very powerful awesome synth packed full of features.

Perhaps the path of education/learning about it for me will help you, what I finally figured out was:

1. Step sequencer - learned all about the step sequencer, creating step sequences, mixer, sliders, etc. Watched Mike's step sequencer videos many times.

2. Performances - setup for preset tones & zones, setup for sequencer, setup for preset arpeggios

3. Arpeggios - went through all the presets, then began setting up my own

4. Sampling

5. Tones - began creating my own Tones

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

New to the forum. I ran into this transposed-while-step-recording problem as well. Found Nee's post via searching and thought 'hurray!' Turns out, I don't think that's it. I think it has to do with having transposed the sequence via the keyboard previously and somehow not having reset it. Or perhaps saving it when it was in the transposed state? I'm not sure, I'll need to do some more testing but what fixed it for the sequence I was working on was:

1) Exit step sequencer mode

2) Turn on Key Shift (bottom left button)

3) Hit any key above C

4) Hit C

5) Turn off Key Shift

6) Go back to step edit and rejoice

At least that's my working theory until I have time to try it again. :)

• Like 1

Ok. I think this is a bug. Or maybe it's a feature and I'm just missing something!

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a sequence
  2. Turn on Key Shift (button on the panel)
  3. Transpose sequence by hitting a key other than the lowest C
  4. Stop sequence (can save or not here)
  5. Select new Untitled sequence
  6. Enter Step Programming mode
  7. Select a melodic track
  8. Play the keyboard
  9. Keys will be off by however many notes you transposed the last sequence

That is: if you do not return a transposed sequence back to root (lowest C), the sequence will remember that for subsequently loaded sequences. If this is indeed a feature I'm not grasping (or even if I have this entirely wrong), an indication in the display (or turning the Key Shift button on at least) would help us know that things have been transposed automaticaly/magically.

Am I high? Can anyone else reproduce this?

Cheers,

Will

The step sequencer remains key shifted no matter where you are.  

Casio designed the step sequencer to be manipulated in real time as it plays.  I'm pretty sure this is why key shift does not reset.  This is great for live performance use in dance and remix music.  With it set up this way, we can enter edit mode, make changes and/or change step sequences while its playing in real time.  Traditional auto-accomp pattern sequencers require we stop the playback, enter edit mode, make changes, save, then exit before starting back up.  

I would agree that an indicator would be useful.  When the key shift light is off, it's easy to forget that the step sequencer is transposed.  

Also, remember that the main transpose/octave shift function affects what is recorded during step editing.  

These keyboards are mind blowing to what is possible.  They are unique and bring to the table some new ideas never before found in any instrument.  It takes some time to get acquainted with everything.  Once you do, it's possible to create some amazing sounds.  

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys

I've been having the same issue and come to the conclusion that if you want to use the key-shift feature you need to record everything in the key of C, this then seems to work correctly when switching on key-shift.

I'm going to do some more tests with the different scale options and see what happens.

Still loads to learn, only had my G1 since Monday this week so a complete newbie at the mo.

Cheers

Martin

• Like 1