Video Files on Forum ×

Transmitted key velocity range?

pax-eterna

Do you have any way to monitor the midi events coming from the PX (midi-ox for example)?  If you can see what velocity is actually coming from the PX-5s you may be able to trouble shoot.  You may also want to be sure the high resolution velocity is OFF on the PX as the VST may not be able to read it properly.

PX5-s sends full velocity range 0-127, though I have observed that with the Normal setting I can hardly get to 118, while with the Light setting I easily get to 127 but I lose control on low velocities range, so I keep the normal and prefer to adjust the velocity curve on the VIs (if required)

I also keep High Res Velocity switched off, since there are just a handful of VIs which can handle it (e.g. pianoteq) and on the other hand CC88 can cause problems with other MIDI equipment which don't support HiResVel but use CC88 for something else (e.g the Nords)

If you have Windows you can use MidiOX to monitor your MIDI data, on OS X there is the Midi Monitor program (both are freeware)

• Like 1

Thanks for the follow up and tests.  A couple of other things that can influence the velocity or at least the audible velocity are:

For a Melody Tone:

* Velocity Sense: Specifies the degree of change based on keyboard touch for Pitch, Filter, and Amplitude (volume) envelopes.  The range is -64 to +63.  -63 the harder you press the softer the audible velocity - though the actual velocity is transmitted. +64 the harder you press the louder the audible velocity - though the actual velocity is transmitted.

For a Hex Layer:

* Velocity Sense: Specifies the degree of change based on keyboard touch for Pitch, Filter, and Amplitutde envelopes.  The range is -64 to +63.  -63 the harder you press the softer the audible velocity - though the actual velocity is transmitted. +64 the harder you press the louder the audible velocity - though the actual velocity is transmitted.

* Key Follow: Adjusts the amount of change between neighboring keyboard keys for each envelope.  For Amplitude, you'll hear a change in volume but the actual velocity will not change. A higher value represents a greater change. 

*Key Follow Base : The keyboard key that is the center of the Key Follow