CDP-130 sufficient for home studio use?

Ikaros

Hi, I was taking a look at some Pravia and CDP series pianos this last week and had been searching for something to use in a simple studio environment and to play standalone as a hobby piano. I ended up snagging a CDP-130 because the keybed felt the same to me as Casio's higher end offerings and miles ahead of the Yamaha digitals. I have a Kawai baby grand to compare with and was really quite pleased with the 130's action. All MIDI routing is being done via an external source as well as arrangement and sequencing. As for anything concerning the quality of the onboard samples I use a copy of Ivory on my PC so the samples are not a concern to me.

So I just need to know if there's anything crucial that would make the Pravia better for home studio use given my environment. It appears to me that the Pravia is miles ahead of the CDP as a standalone performance piano but in a component setup it doesn't appear make too big a difference since all digital editing and arranging is external (unless you need discrete MIDI IN/OUT). The things I know are limited about the CDP besides what I've already listed are that it's limited to only a single pedal and 48-note polyphony, which is fine as I don't have 48 fingers and am not planning on layering, and it lacks several inputs and outputs that the higher up Pravia series have.

So having onboard high-quality sounds and plenty of tones is nice, but for somebody looking only for a standalone weighted keybed should this do the trick? I'd love to hear some opinions on this. Thanks!

So having onboard high-quality sounds and plenty of tones is nice, but for somebody looking only for a standalone weighted keybed should this do the trick? I'd love to hear some opinions on this. Thanks!

Yup I concur the same CDP 130 has the same natural feel of the Privia's keybed I had the chance to make that comparison also as the music store I go to stocked more Casio in shop. The comparison was with other brands higher price range :huh: . It was a big difference the 130 keybed felt better it doesn't fair with HQ onboard sound but as you said VST fill in the void of high quality sounds and more tones when the onboard sounds do not suffice.