Video Files on Forum ×

Glitch in recording on Casio WK-7600

JHPatch

Hi.  I have had my Casio WK-7600 for 3 years and bought it mainly to record my own songs.  I have had no end of trouble doing this as with every new SD card or reformatted card when I record, a glitch occurs, like a jump from a scratch on a CD, in the middle of my songs - sometimes more than once on a recording.  It is very annoying and defeats the whole purpose of me buying the keyboard as I am using the recordings as backing tracks for live performances.  An agent told me to re-initiallize the keyboard but I have no idea how to do that!  Please help.

• Like 1

Why are you recording on the Casio when with a $5 cable you could record directly to your computer and have SO much more control over the finished product?

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP159-Stereo-Breakout-10-Feet/dp/B005HGM1D6

I've been directly recording from my mixer to my Linux PC for the past 15 years without so much as a single hiccup.

Face it.  SD cards were designed to store static files like photos and config files, not designed for streaming video and audio in the first place.

Either that or else end up paying $70 for a top of the line Sandisk card and still end up with the same problems.

Or spend two grand and buy yourself a professional audio HDD recorder.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BlackBox

Gary

I'm going to weigh in on this, Gary although I agree with options for recording audio-I use dedicated multitrackers, I like the hardware under my fingers (I'm kind of old-skool) JHPatch-are you talking about  recording external sounds with the audio input of the WK, or are you trying to record audio from your playing performances from the WK? I'm not sure it should matter that much but what will matter is how fast your SD card is. Class 2 cards are slower than class 10. Sounds like you've tried a few-if you are using a fast SD card and there is still a problem, then unfortunately my best guess is that the WK does not have a fast enough processor to stream your audio, or there is not enough "buffer" memory in it to avoid this (just like older slow computers which would cause audio and video files to "glitch" constantly). I've recorded enough audio in my PX350 which has a USB 2.0 thumb drive which is supposedly faster than an SD card, 40MBs for USB 2.0 vs.10MBs per second for a class 10 SD card) and it does not glitch which tells me the problem is probably not in the keyboard. Class 2 SD is 2 MBs per second up to class 10-10MBs per second. For audio recording you might need a class 10, class 2 will probably not be fast enough. Hope this helps.

I'm sorry but I can't help but wonder how people can expect professional recording quality from a $450 keyboard?

As for reformatting SD cards and reusing them over and over again for take after take?  SD memory has a limited number of write cycles before it WILL fail.  No question about it.

As you said, he didn't mention if he was using top of the line 60X Sandisks or $5 no name Chinese cards that may or may not even work properly out of the box, but if he is trying to achieve a professional quality recording then he should take a lesson from the recording industry and do it properly recording to a Hard Disk Drive.

That's been the industry standard for the past 30 years.

Flash memory was originally developed for digital cameras recording lossy JPEGs and MPEGs and MP3s and not for mission critical streaming data recording.  It has since been adapted to that purpose but as seen here still leaves a lot to be desired.

In fact we should all count ourselves as extremely fortunate that the technology to record studio quality sound on a computer hard disk has come down in price to the point where anyone can afford it, but to expect the same quality from a built in recorder on a $450 keyboard using a $10 flash card is simply unrealistic.

Gary

Getting a little off-topic but you're right about flash memory deteriorating over cyclic use.  However-one mod I've done on several digital recorders is to swap out the hard drive-prone to mechanical or physical surface failure, excessive heat and motor noise and constant power consumption-to a CF card, and with a fast card seems to work pretty well so far. SSD cards have a different interface and these seem to be somewhat difficult to use for this type of conversion, but works well in a laptop replacement with the right drivers (needed in Windows unless your bios is relatively new).

CF is a little more robust than SD, having been used for many years already in the high-end digital SLRs for pro work and also have potential faster speed throughput than SD depending upon what you get. The speeds of a good (fast) CF card seem adequate for my purposes, although I am not recording the NY Philharmonic live to disk. And of course the data bus on even the older digital recorders (Zoom, Korg, Yamaha, Roland) is dedicated to recording, doesn't have to share a CPU with keyboard scanning, button matrix etc. like the Casios do. But still, JHPatch if you need to do it this way, the faster card might help. I would think with a pretty busy soundfile though, it may be beyond Casio's capability as it seems most of these keyboards audio recording is more slanted towards a one-track recording approach-record your live piano playing, maybe load a small audio file as a simple accompaniment one at a time. it probably does not have enough memory or CPU power to load and play a dense audio file and run the keyboard operating system at the same time, especially if you are doing "jukebox" types of functions.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...