Xw-P1 and Midi Designer synchronisation

Holli

Hi David, thanks for your answer

Ok, I have understood, that the midi-designer can control the parameter in the solo-synth-mode.

But I have thought, that when I join a sound on the xw, the parameter of this sound (osc, lfo, ...) would transmit from the xw to the ipad and would shown in midi-designer

This is not so, right?

Greetings and a good 2015

Holger

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In a post somewhere in the forums Mike Martin said XW Designer does not (cannot) read from the XW synth. It is one-way data transfer only, from the iPad to the XW.

Hmmm. Interesting.

Just last night I (re re re re) watched the G1 workshop video on youtube, which then 'autoplayed' to another CAISO MM video about Midi-Designer for XW, and it specifically showed the opposite (i.e. all the slider and knob changes performed on the XW were reflected on the IPAD.). I will see if I can track it down and share the link.

• Like 1

My apologies: I spoke too generally. I intended only to specifically reference the ability of MIDI Designer XW to synchronize with solo synth data already in the XW, which was the OP's question. It cannot and does not. Yes, it responds to the MIDI information coming from the knobs and the sliders. But that's all.

If you go into the menus of the XW and tweak a value that is not controlled by the knobs or sliders (and there are of course hundreds of such parameters) the XW does not transmit that information to the iPad, nor does the XW Designer app try to read that information from the XW. Aside from responding to data from the knobs and sliders (which is trivially easy to do) it is one-way data transfer. That's what I actually meant in my too-brief and unwisely worded reply.

For the same reason, you cannot take a solo synth tone already in the XW and load it into the iPad. This is a basic limitation of the app. It also doesn't edit the virtual controllers. The reason for all of these limitations is that it is "merely" transmitting NRPN information to the XW to achieve the editing. Have a good look at the XW-P1/XW-G1 MIDI Implementation document. You'll note that the virtual controllers are missing in the big tables of solo synth NRPNs. The app would need to output system exclusive (Sys Ex) data to handle those. It would also need to use Sys Ex data to read solo synth parameters from the XW. Unfortunately, it does not.

I am typing this right now on an iPad and I have used the app with my XW-P1. I like it and I applaud Mike for putting all the hard work into it. But frankly I am now faster editing the solo synth from the XW-P1's own menus and buttons. After you do it for a while it becomes second nature. If I had the XW-G1 with its ability to modify many of the solo synth parameters using the sliders, I would likely be even faster.

And, of course, you can't edit anything else with the app. The PC/Mac app edits more stuff but doesn't do sequences, arps or phrases. The XW's own interface, as graphically unsophisticated as it is, does everything. (Well, you can't actually edit phrases apart from re-recording or overdubbing, but you can only do those functions from the XW's own interface.)

An XW successor, whenever that happens (the MZ-X is not that), will undoubtedly have Casio's 5.3-inch (or is it 5.2-inch?) touchscreen integrated into the product. That's when we will see true touchscreen integration and editing of everything from it. I'm looking forward to it as long as we don't give up any hardware controls in the process. I want MORE of those, not less.

• Like 1

I for one appreciate that clarification. Having read your post I must confess that the video does not state explicitly that it will do anything beyond what you described BUT I do feel it implies there is more synchronization than there is.

You have saved me from a potential (though not particularly imminent) ipad purchase, which I am grateful for as I am not normally an Apple consumer (fruit or hardware  ^_^ ) so I think I will be better off learning the unit's interface directly. Maybe not as pretty but I am hoping - after increased familiarity - more intuitive overall.

• Like 1

Yeah, I wouldn't buy an iPad just to run that app, especially if I had a G1 as you do. I happened to already have an iPad (it was a gift) but it's my only fruity product. I am actually pretty anti-Apple for a number of reasons but I have to admit the iPad has been useful for other stuff.

But for editing my XW-P1; not so much. I am no fan of adjusting parameters by sliding a finger up and down on a glass surface or tapping some virtual + and - buttons on said glass surface. I find that the data wheel works pretty well for dialing in parameter values. Using nine sliders like you can on the G1 would be even better.

With regard to an XW successor, IMHO it should have at least six pots or rotary encoders, preferably eight, in addition to the nine sliders. All of them assignable and all used when programming synth voices, with the assignments and values visible on the built-in touchscreen.

• Like 1

With regard to an XW successor, IMHO it should have at least six pots or rotary encoders, preferably eight, in addition to the nine sliders. All of them assignable and all used when programming synth voices, with the assignments and values visible on the built-in touchscreen.

I'm too new to the Casio world to state anything with true conviction, but I sadly believe there is often too much compromise. I agree with you, but in my minds eye I see these and other ideas on a whiteboard gradually being crossed out by a committee, rather than  a blank board with ideas being added.

• Like 1