xw-p1 and AIFF files?

JMA

AIFF (Audio Interchange File Format) is a sound sample file used by Apple computers to play back sample sounds similar to an .mp3 or .wav file in the Microsoft Windows world. The XW-P1 is not designed to play any kind of samples in any format, aiff, .wav, .ogg .mp3 whether on an SD card or in any other way, with one exception.

If you convert your .aiff file to a .wav file in your computer first, you can then copy this file onto the SD card you will use in the XW. Download the Casio XW data editor and install it as you will need the data editor to copy the files to the card. You cannot copy .wav files to the card while it is in the XW, the data manager does not work that way. You also have to remember to format the SD card in the XW first. Then take it out of the XW, use a USB SD card reader (my laptops have built-in SD card readers already, many computers do) and connect that and insert the SD card into the reader. Now start up the data editor, it should find your SD card if you've connected a card reader and the card is in it.

There are 2 screens in data editor in audio transfer mode, the left screen is where you will locate and check whatever.wav files you have in your computer. The right window will show the SD card file directory which is where the data manager will copy the files after it converts these to a form that will play in the XW once you place the SD card back in the XW.

One more detail, you will have to find a "utility" program that will convert your .aiff file to a .wav file first, in your computer. I use "Awave" but there are other converter programs that will do this. I use the "Shareware Music Machine" website which has all kinds  of freeware and shareware including these kinds of converter programs (www.Hitsquad.com) Only then can you copy this through data manager to the SD card. If this post is too confusing, let me know and I'll try to break it down more simply if I can! Make sure you download the data editor for the Casio XW and also it's user guide. Here are the links to both:

(data editor)

(data editor user guide-not XWP1 user guide)

• Like 2

Thank for your answer jokeyman.

I use the PC on my P1 since yesterday only.I have to understand well the user guide.Not easy for me.It's my second synthetiser since 22 years !!! Many changes .

If I understand well your post,the SD card,when you use the PC,must be connect on the computer and not on P1 ?Is it the same when I download data from a site ?I find new sound on Casio blog.

thanks

Only with .wav files. If you convert .aiff files to .wav files you need to transfer those files from your computer to the SD card connected to the computer first, then you can put the SD card into the XW-P1 and if will be able to play those as an audio file, but not as a new keyboard sound, like you would play an entire song as an .mp3. Only the XW-G1 can turn an "audio" file into a true sample file and play it from the keyboard.

With other types of XW-P1 files-tones, performances and sequences, you can save any changes or creations you make in the keyboard to the SD card in the keyboard, without using a computer at all. You do not need to use or learn the data editor if you select a "tone", edit it yourself with the XW edit feature. You then save that edited sound directly to a "user tone" empty memory bank shown on your LCD screen and it will be saved in the XW memory. This is also how you save a "user performance" or a "user sequence". Only the audio files need to be transferred from the computer to the card connected to the computer first with the data editor, then you insert the card into the XW.

One other important skill to understand. When you edit a performance, tone or sequence and save it inside the XW user memory slots or banks, you are not saving it to the SD card automatically even if the SD card is installed in the XW. To save these data types to the SD card requires the additional steps detailed in page E-74, 75 and 76 in the XW-P1 user manual (not the data editor manual). Now you will have 2 copies of your edited data-one on the SD card and the same one inside the XW memory. If you remove the SD card from the XW and connect it to your computer, you will now see those files saved in your SD card-all should be in one folder called "musicdat" that is created for you on the SD card if you format it with the XW format option in your menu-this must be done with the card inserted in the XW. formatting the SD card with your computer will not create this folder for you. if you format the SD crd in your computer after you'v done that in the XW, everything on the card will be erased.

If you had the time and wanted to do all this with the XW connected to the computer with USB or midi DIN cables, you can also load, save and back up any tones, performances or sequences you edit from the XW to your computer. I have several folders on my computer that have many edited sounds and performances I've created or downloaded from this website stored on my computer. Now i can transfer these to the XW with the data editor program, or I can simply copy these directly to the SD card connected to my computer, then insert the card in the XW, and play these on the XW. Again, I have to transfer these sounds, performances or sequences into the XW memory from the card first before I will be able to play these directly from the XW. Just remember, what is on the card and what is in the XW memory is kept seperate until you copy or save any tone, performance or sequence to the other. if you have 10 edited tones saved in the XW, these only exist in the XW memory, not on the card. You must copy these to the card if you want to have these backed up and saved for re-loading or editing at another editing session. An SD card can save thousands of edited sounds, but you can only transfer as many sounds into the XW as its memory banks will hold which is I think 99 without having the XW in front of me. And this is also true of performances and sequences.

I know there is alot to understand and i'm sorry if I've sent too much info at once and made it harder to understand. Only because with the XW series, there are so many things you can do with it. Remember, the XW-P1 cannot play samples, but can play an "audio" file, just like you would play an mp3. The XW-G1 is designed with a separate function that lets you load a "soundfile" and play it from the XW-G1 keyboard as you would with any other sampling keyboard, such as the original Casio FZ-1 which was a pure sampler. Any soundfile you loaded into the FZ-1 could be played from the keyboard, as you would play a "tone" in the XW series.

• 1 year later...