Thinking about a possible return to Casio

Hozzer

Hi folks,

As the title says thinking about revisiting Casio.

About a year ago I purchased a Casio XW P1 with high hopes. joined this forum, even joined facebook despite resisting for many years thanks to Scott Hamlin (curse you)

Loved the P1 from the minute it was plugged in. Loved the features sounds were great but most of all loved the hex layers.

However the love affair was short lived. within 2 days the keys became clicky scratchy and velocity was all over the place. Took it back to retailer as you may remember P1s were like hens teeth in UK due to the XW's being discontinued, so no replacement and had to go for repair. 6 weeks later P1 returned don;t know if the key frame  was repaired or replaced but the gaps between the keys was like a broken fence some with huge gaps others with gaps non existent., but it felt tight so I was going to let it pass, however within hours  some of the keys started to click and grind just like before so I had a choice send it back again and be without it for another 6 weeks or get a refund. reluctantly I opted for the latter, so my brief time with Casio was over.

As time passed I really missed the P1 , and missed the synth scene. (have since purchased a Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard) Now my fortunes have changed a have the opportunity to buy a PX 5S or another synth/ workstation Possibly the MOXF6.

As I can purchase the MOX for the same price as the PX5S through my old work,  its a conundrum.

So after a long ramble I can get to the point.

1. How have users found the build quality.

2. Can you create your own orchestral hex layer and layer two together.

3. Is the key frame the same as all the other Privia's.( PX5S;s are non existent in Scottish music retailers but have access to the PX350) and can order on line from England.

Thanks for reading, would love to here your input.

Many thanks,

Graeme.

Lots have happened in a years time I'm afraid you have to begin from scratch XD,

Me answering.

1 Find it , Touch it, bring it, watch it, turn it , leave it , stop , format it :)

2 Breathless , smooth I'm no experience sound programmer but there are nice ,good and great stages in the download sector.

3 Did you mean the key-bed. Its better then even the high end stage piano and synthesizer out there even the feel from  PX100 , 130 top the high end.

This year there have been many sound added community stage patches and even Steve Weingart added some smooth brass patches. 

Thanks for your reply.

I was always envious of the PX 5S users, Bur couldn't afford one until now.

I have watched every video on you tube including all Mike Martins live clinics and am convinced its what I want, and i'm  even selling my beloved Yamaha Clavinova as its going to be surplus to requirements.

Hi folks,

As the title says thinking about revisiting Casio.

About a year ago I purchased a Casio XW P1 with high hopes. joined this forum, even joined facebook despite resisting for many years thanks to Scott Hamlin (curse you)

Loved the P1 from the minute it was plugged in. Loved the features sounds were great but most of all loved the hex layers.

However the love affair was short lived. within 2 days the keys became clicky scratchy and velocity was all over the place. Took it back to retailer as you may remember P1s were like hens teeth in UK due to the XW's being discontinued, so no replacement and had to go for repair. 6 weeks later P1 returned don;t know if the key frame  was repaired or replaced but the gaps between the keys was like a broken fence some with huge gaps others with gaps non existent., but it felt tight so I was going to let it pass, however within hours  some of the keys started to click and grind just like before so I had a choice send it back again and be without it for another 6 weeks or get a refund. reluctantly I opted for the latter, so my brief time with Casio was over.

As time passed I really missed the P1 , and missed the synth scene. (have since purchased a Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard) Now my fortunes have changed a have the opportunity to buy a PX 5S or another synth/ workstation Possibly the MOXF6.

As I can purchase the MOX for the same price as the PX5S through my old work,  its a conundrum.

So after a long ramble I can get to the point.

1. How have users found the build quality.

2. Can you create your own orchestral hex layer and layer two together.

3. Is the key frame the same as all the other Privia's.( PX5S;s are non existent in Scottish music retailers but have access to the PX350) and can order on line from England.

1- Build quality is solid. I've had mine for almost 2 years with no issues. Of the 1,500+ members in the PX-5S Facebook Group I have only heard of a couple of issues which were handled promptly by Casio. You will get production issues with anything, the key is how the company handles it. Casio is dedicated to customer service.

2. This is where the PX-5S really shines. Each stage setting (ie. performance patch) can have 4 zones. 2 of those can be hexlayers - so you can really split/ layer up to 14 different sounds - all split and cross faded however you like. Limitless potential here for setting up lots of cool Stage Settings. 

3. Yes if you can try a PX-350 the keyboard action will be the same as the PX-5S.. it's the sound engine of the PX-5S that is different (way more powerful).

Welcome back to the family! Just when you think you're out, we drag you back in!  :)

Hi Scott.

Thanks for Taking the time to read my post, I did miss the community even though I was only involved for a short time.

I guess I was just unlucky. For all the time I worked at The piano shop in Edinburgh I've lost count how many Casio's I've built and delivered to customers there never seemed to be any returns or faults.

Just a quick update.

Whilst on a trip to a cold, windy and snowy Edinburgh I popped in to my old shop for a chat and a possible cup off coffee.

After all the pleasantries and being shown all the new hybrid Yamaha pianos the new CLP range and a beautiful £20,000 acoustic grand piano the inevitable happened,

Ordered a PX 5S should arrive in the shop on Friday :D

Why is Friday so far away :(

no doubt i'll have plenty of questions.

• Like 1

Just a quick update.

Whilst on a trip to a cold, windy and snowy Edinburgh I popped in to my old shop for a chat and a possible cup off coffee.

After all the pleasantries and being shown all the new hybrid Yamaha pianos the new CLP range and a beautiful £20,000 acoustic grand piano the inevitable happened,

Ordered a PX 5S should arrive in the shop on Friday :D

Why is Friday so far away :(

no doubt i'll have plenty of questions.

YES! You picked a heck of model to return to Casio with!  The PX-5S is a very special keyboard with a great community.. Come join us on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Casio.Px5s/

• 2 weeks later...

I read with interest the responses to the OP's inquiry about the PX5s.  I am in the market to replace a Kurzweil PC3 76 note workstation and have been steered toward

considering this Casio, although Casio in and of itself is a brand I would never have normally considered.  It's always represented a consumer-grade electronic keyboard,

with one finger chords, built in drums, a recorder--something along the lines of Yamaha's cheaper DGX and YPG series boards.  The thought of a $1000USD Casio portable

board just didn't seem to mix.  However as the OP, I have relentlessly pursued as much video and audio evidence of this keyboard's abilities and qualities (being in a location

in which accessing it personally is difficult), and am teetering TOWARDS purchasing one, very soon.

Question/Concern: 

1. If any of you are familiar, even generally with the PC 3, you will know that it's a pretty sophisticated instrument and if there's a sound, effect or parameter

that's not to your liking, you can get "into" this machine, shape and bend it the way you want, and save it.  Frankly, I use it 90% of the time for its acoustic piano, and the other

10% for its reasonably authentic Hammond/Leslie abilities.  What's the power of this PX5s in that regard:  Can the parameters of, say, the acoustic piano(s) be entered into

and user-adjusted (i.e. increase the treble, enhance the mid or bass)?  Or is it what it is?

2.  Occasionally I play bass in the LH and with the PC 3 I can dedicate a section of the board to emit its sounds separately through auxiliary outputs on the back of the board.  I noticed

the PX5s has only two "main" outputs, so that won't be possible.  I can get around that IF the lower split part(s) can be adjusted in their volume, separate from the other layers and splits

on the board.  Is that possible?

3.  How is the factory "Hammond" organ sound?  Is it authentic?  More importantly, how is the rotary "Leslie" effect?  Dopplar like, or is it rich?  I wasn't able to find any audio or videos of

the organ stuff for any length of time.

Thanks all!

Yes.  Some organ stage settings have been made where there is drawbar control with sliders and knobs.  Rotary switch is usually put on the sustain pedal.  This shows the power of the PX-5s.  The user can create all of this from scratch or change a premade one to your liking.  

Check out our downloads section full of user generated and Casio official sounds.....http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/