Video Files on Forum ×

PX350 Problems with piano sustain noise

Cinderfella

I found this forum to find a solution to the EXACT problem on my Privia PX350 that Cinderfella has posted. I too get what I call a popping noise when in the piano bank when I depress the sustain pedal. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does, it's usually a series of 4 or 5 loud popping sounds. Also, I do believe the sound is coming from the left side of the keyboard as someone else has reported. I am quite certain that this is in no way a normal function of the keyboard. I am a pianist and have played several digital pianos and keyboards as well as acoustic pianos and have never heard this sound before. I have owned my Privia 350 for exactly 2 years and it has just started making this noise. I have to say that because I also have an acoustic grand piano, I have not used my keyboard very much but now that I have retired and want to record my own music, my keyboard has developed this malfunction. So yes it's 2 years old but I probably played for only a total of a couple of weeks. To say I am very disappointed in this is putting it mildly. As a matter of fact, as I am writing this, my keyboard is at a music specialty repair shop certified in Casio repairs getting the problem diagnosed. Hopefully the problem will be detected and will be able to be fixed. I even recorded the popping sound on my phone and played it to the technician to hear. Like many people have said here, he has never heard that sound before. Fortunately the warranty is within the 3 year window. I will update this post after the findings from the repair shop. I really like the keyboard but it is virtually unplayable making those sounds for a pianist performing in entertainment venues and doing gigs.

I have attached a video/audio where you can hear what the popping sound is like. Ignore the static sound throughout the video which is coming from me holding the phone while playing. You will hear 2 series of popping sounds each having 4 to 5 popping sounds.

20161016_093349.mp4

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am having the same problem on my Casio AP-250. The shooting sound is equal to the one shared by brucepedalty, and happens when I only hit one of 3 keys in the higher register. I'm attaching a video so it's more clear. I can hear the sound also when using headphones, so it's definitely not the speakers but an electrical fault. The problem started yesterday, after almost 3 years of owning the piano. I will go tomorrow to the shop where I bought it and hope they will find a solution to this, it's very annoying and makes playing impossible.

VID-20161129-WA0004.mp4

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would give you all an update to the loud popping sound I heard on my Privia PX350.  It turns out that the popping sound was due to a bad CPU.  Casio honored the warranty and the music shop I brought it to ordered and replaced the CPU and the problem has been solved.  It seems that the issue is not a common one.  The tech at the music shop had never heard of it before.  I guess I just got a lemon. 

• 2 months later...

I'm actually having something very similar right now.

I'm getting these crackles and pops during sustained notes, live and when using built in recording playback.

I do believe I still have warranty so I'm going to be calling Casio up very soon.

It seems like a very rare issue though, as I haven't found a lot of info on it online, besides here!

• 4 years later...

My Casio Privia Px 850 has the popping sound that I believe that  this thread is referring to. I found this youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lSEspHauEo which describes what is happening with my digital piano. They don't give a solution but it does show that this is a problem with "the way the processor tries to synthesize the frequency". However, in my DP's case, this happens with two different keys B5 and C5. I am a beginner, just  just learning to play the piano to support my practice for my choir. Whereas the people in this thread appear to be musos. But, I did solve the problem for my use anyway. So, sorry if this is suck eggs stuff but I would have liked to have read this to solve the problem. Firstly, I did what the trouble shooting said to do with "sounds and/or effects sound strange" (4th problem in troubleshooting). I think it helped but didn't fix it. Secondly, figuring it has something to do with reverberation, I adjusted the String Resonance per the instructions on page E7 of the manual. I adjusted it to Option 1 = Suppressed. This stopped the popping sound and the sounds did not return after the piano was turned off and back on. Of course, this means you are stuck with a suppressed string resonance when you may want more reverberation. I don't dare try the other resonance options in case it "undoes" my fix and in any case, being a piano newbie, those subtleties don’t apply. Good luck.

• Thanks 1