PX350 Problems with piano sustain noise

Cinderfella

Hi

I've recently just treated myself to a PX350. Within days I actually contacted Casio to say everytime I used the sustain/damper pedal I was aware of what could be described as a noise resembling a gunshot sounding.

Casio replaced the keyboard but again the same 'problem' exists. It only occurs in the piano bank and the other sound groups are unaffected. Is this a problem with how the samples have been recorded I wonder?

I have tried other PX350s in various shops and it would appear this is a general problem. It is really noticeable when the output is put through an external amplifier.

Any solutions folks?

I've been playing my PX350 every day with 2 different damper pedals and have never heard anything like this with the damper. I hear no extra noise at all, does not change the character of any of the piano tones at all except for the sustain. Weird. Noise resembling a gunshot...............and on 2 different PX350s-are you sure they didn't give you the same one back again and didn't really fix the problem in the first place? And as far as this being a general problem, there are many PX350 owners here and I don't think anyonehere  has ever had this malfunction. Try another PX350..

• Like 1

Sounds like you are paying attention to the damper effects.  Those are normal and intentional effects designed to simulate a real piano damper.  

That was my first thought - but it doesn't sound like a gunshot.. Maybe his pedal needs some WD-40 LOLOLOL.. It would make sense that it only happens in the piano group. I'm with Joe: uploading the sound for us to hear would be a huge help.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi all...just got my PX350 and I am experiencing the same exact damper noise.  It's an actual reverb sound with tone prior to any note being depressed.  It's not a gunshot, it's noise that seems to have sustain/reverb on it.  I have played many many acoustic pianos and studied classical piano as well, and when softly depressing the sustain pedal, have never encountered this effect UNLESS I stomped on it, then yes, you hear the strings resonate.  but when playing very soft passages with headphones, it's quite annoying to hear this effect...it's not natural at all.

• 2 weeks later...

The damper effect is LOUD on mostly ALL presets.  I haven't noticed a difference on any of them except the Grand classic sample is completely unusable to play Moonlight Sonata with headphones.  It's absolutely ridiculous why that sound should even trigger.  It's no way authentic, and just creates unwanted noise when there should be clean sound.  With that classical piece, the dampers are held off for at least 99% of the time...so not only does the effect sound when you press the pedal, it also continues to trigger while you are holding the pedal down...it can not be only I that is extremely bothered by this noise.  Makes using the internals impossible.  Would not have killed anyone to include a way to shut it off...the PX5s can shut if off, so what would have been the issue with incorporating that into the 350?  Seriously Casio..charge the $10 more and give users options.

I'm sorry you are not happy with the presets. Your complaints are heard.  Unfortunately those effects can't be edited on this model.  I recommend test driving and researching any keyboard before purchasing, or buy online from a retailer that allows easy returns if you're not satisfied.

My issue Brad, is not to complain about the keyboard.  It's to let Casio know, that that effect is not appreciated by all users.  And I do NOT recall anywhere when researching, that this damper effect is constant, loud, and unremovable, and get's in the way of soft pssages when using headphones...find me that article, and I will stand corrected.  That is not fair for you to say to do research, when there are things that one can only find out, after purchase.  Again, thankfully, I only needed the keyboard for it's action and as a controller, and not to use the internal, however, it woulda been nice to practice, without that extra noise.  It's not like I paid a few hundred for the keyboard, and just complaining about things.  I owned at least 3 other Casio keyboards, so this isn't my first one...I have always been happy and will continue to purchase Casio products in the future.

My gripes are informative.  If everyone that purchased the keyboard kept their mouth shut, Casio would not know how to better improve their next models to meet the needs and wants of their customers.  

I do NOT recall anywhere when researching, that this damper effect is constant, loud, and unremovable, and get's in the way of soft pssages when using headphones...find me that article, and I will stand corrected.  

It's unlikely you would find complaints during your research.  I am on many forums and this is the first I have heard of this issue.  

As far as unremovable...the PDF manual confirms no user adjustments for that effect are on this model. 

But again, no way of knowing how loud that effect is. I see that it can be desirable, but not if it's in the way of playing..again..this is only relevant for me personally in the headphones, but I am sure that it translates loudly if it were to be over a loudspeaker on a gig.  Perhaps it's just the way it's implemented into to sample that can possibly be refined for a future revision.  unless you are a classical musician, and use the damper a lot on soft passages, you would never give it a second thought.

Yes Brad, but how would I have even thought about looking to hear that effect if I had no idea it was an issue?  I would have had to know to go to the store with headphones.  In a store you really can't play too loudly anyway, so there isn't a good way for the consumer to even test that out.   Also, I know of no acoustic grand that sounds that way every single time the damper is depressed, and then continue to make that same sample while holding the pedal down.  I think no one at Casio wants to admit that it may have been an oversight in the design..it does not modulate and change based on the loudness and amount of use, like it would on a real piano.  Had that been the case, that would have been great.

String resonance and damper noise are two different effects.  Damper noise is a short burst that occurs the moment the pedal is depressed.

String resonance is the sound of open strings sympathetically vibrating to complementing notes played, which sustains along with the notes when the sustain pedal is depressed. The effect changes according to what notes are played and how hard.  

ok...so I hear the burst, then while the damper is down, and playing legato parts, I still hear some effect with every note.  Not a burst, you're right, but I assumed it was part of that, since string resonance is also not that loud.  I think I know what's happening...it seems that what I am hearing is the equivalent to putting my ears above the soundboard of a grand, instead of hearing it from a far or from the sitting position.  From the sitting position, the string resonance does not interfere with the cleanliness of the sound, and most certainly not from the audience perspective either.   I think that is mostly my problem, is that the effects in place, interfere with the sound.  It's not clean...and unless Casio has sampled every velocity of the string resonance as well as the note velocity, there is no way to faithfully recreate that without sounding like a sample.  Like I said, it's all good...I just don't have the luxury of using speakers all the time when practicing, and with headphones, it's super apparent.  I just wanted to make sure that the unit is supposed to behave this way, and that i do not have a faulty PX.  Again, thanks for your replies.

Actually it's both, but again, only with the headphones..it's quite loud when the cans are brought up, and playing soft passages.  All I hear are the bursts...same frequency, every time.  Stagnant.  Also, i would love the pedal unit, but it won't be that functional without the stand, and I do not have the stand.

• 1 year later...

Hi!

I know this is quite an old topic now, but I just found the forum and have the sam problem with my AP-450. I get the gunshot like sound when playing several high notes with the sustain pedal pressed. Have anyone here found a way to fix this?

• 1 month later...