Video Files on Forum ×

Frustrated with my Privia PX350

Hawkerpilot62

I have a problem: I have recorded and saved a song on my Casio Privia PX350 and I want to transfer this to a USB. I have tried to follow the manual: formatting the thumb drive, then selecting audio record, but I cannot get song record to light up to play the song as instructed. I was told to hold down the function key and select song record to choose the song you want to transfer. My unit will not allow me to do this. What am I doing wrong??

I have a problem: I have recorded and saved a song on my Casio Privia PX350 and I want to transfer this to a USB. I have tried to follow the manual: formatting the thumb drive, then selecting audio record, but I cannot get song record to light up to play the song as instructed. I was told to hold down the function key and select song record to choose the song you want to transfer. My unit will not allow me to do this. What am I doing wrong??

Hi and welcome to the Casio forums!  Have you successfully saved data from the PX-350 on this flash drive before? 

It's a little unclear what you are attempting to do.  The PX-350 has two types of recorders.  A built-in midi sequencer (song recorder) and a usb audio recorder (wav files). 

1) Do you want to create an audio recording on usb of your built-in song recorder recording?   

2) Do you want to transfer the built-in song recorder recording to the usb drive as a .mid file? 

My apologies as I realize I am not making myself very clear. I recorded, using the song recorder, a song on the piano. Now, I want to transfer or move that saved song or file to a USB flash drive. I am unsure if this process changes it to a .wav file or not. I am ignorant in that regard. : )  But that, in  a nutshell, is what I am attempting to do.

BTW, Casio instructed me to select the "Audio Recorder bottun (to get a solid red light) then select the "Song recorder button and select the song that I wanted to record. I inserted the USB Flash drive into the drive, but I was unable to get to the screen that would allow me to select what song I wanted to transfer to the drive. I xould get both lights to illuminate, but I couldnt select the song. You have to, according to the instructions, hold down the function key then select "Song Recorder." That move brings up the songs you have recorded on the machine. I could not perform those functions together.

OK, I think i can clear this up, having wrestled with this myself.

Look at pp. E-41 and E-42. The "song recorder" functions have nothing to do with recording "audio" with the PX350! The song recorder is the PX350s equivalent of a midi sequencer sort of. Skip all that for now. If you want to record and save your performance/playing as an "audio" file, just press the "audio recorder" button until it is flashing red. Now the PX350 is ready to record whatever you play with whatever sound you selected as a ".wav" file. and here is the confusing part.........at least one of them.......it will automatically save this part you just played as a .wav file in the thumbdrive, which you can now play in your computer by connecting the thumb drive to it, look for the folder called "audio". There is no screen "prompt" that tells you this process has been accomplished, which makes it difficult to understand. The only process that shows you are setting this up right is that when you press the "audio recorder" button, you will see the thumb drive go through it's "mounting" process-will say "media mounting". If that isn't happening then the thumb drive isn't connected right or there is something wrong with it, but that doesn't sound like what you are having trouble with. Remember that pressing the audio recorder button once puts it in "play" mode and pressing 2X (flashing) is in record mode and you will erase anything you recorded already if you record again. Use play/stop button to play that, as long as you are still in "audio recorder" mode-red light is on there.

Now comes the tricky part and why what you are trying to do is not working as you expect.

If using the "song recorder" button to record a song, the process becomes more complicated unfortunately. If you just wish to record an audio performance with one sound, audio recording as I hope you can see is pretty simple (relatively based on........."song recording".) Song recording requires such unrelated button presses that I've made a "quickstart" for myself. Here it is, this if you wish to record several tracks to create one "song recorder' song. If recording just one track, just do steps 1,2,3 and use the 'play/stop" key to play your song recorder song.

1) Push song recorder button 2X (record mode)

2) Select tone, rhythms for 1st track, then play w/metronome on/off

3) Press song record 1X for "play" mode

4) Add track-push song record 1X + function-select song

5) Push song record 2X (flashing LED)

6) Push function+ song record, select track w/^ button

7) Push exit, select tone

8) Push play/stop if recording over previous track

Now this procedure does not automatically save your song to the thumb drive-that rquires an entirely different bunch of steps. Which is why it is definitely confusing, especially since you use the same few buttons to do all this! Song recorder songs are only saved in the internal memory of the PX350 automatically and ony 5 can be saved there. You select these songs for recording and playback using the "function" button with the "song recorder" button, not the "audio recorder" button. (Rest here!) So directions from E-35 in the manual are only about "song recorder' functions-and these songs are not saved as .wav files, but are saved in a "proprietary" Casio file format, or you can choose to save these as .mid files instead-again you will need a separate process to save these to the thumb drive either way. I won't explain all that since I think you want to save "audio" files only.

One other confusing aspect to all this-remember that the "function" button is used both to access the "audio recorder" extra functions and separately the "song recorder" functions which are completely different. So holding "function" while pressing "song recorder" once or twice gives you functions for only songs recorded with the "song recorder". You need to hold 'function" and press the song recorder button once to get to options for selecting a song to play or delete, press it 2X for functions directly related to recording........with the "song recorder".(which track, which sound etc).

Holding function while pressing "audio recorder" gives you functions only related to the audio recorder. And onto that, the 'function" button serves quite a few other functions not related to either......including saving "song recorder" songfiles to the thumb drive! 

This is what happens when you have

1) a very small menu screen

2) alot of buttons not directly related to each other and

3) many choices for how you want to 1) record 2) playback and 3) store data and audio. Sorry for the booklet-style listing here but I hope I have saved you the mental turmoil of sorting this out yourself. i need a rest............... ;):wacko::blink::P

• Like 2

Do you want to create an audio recording on usb of your built-in song recorder recording? YES!!!!

1) Press Song Recorder (red light on) to enable it's playback standby. Hit play/stop and listen to be sure the correct song is selected.  This is where you'll hold that function button and press song recorder to select the correct song if it's not right.  

2) Press Audio Recorder until the red light is flashing.  This enables it's record standby mode.

3) Press Play/Stop.  The song recorder will play and the usb audio recorder will automatically begin. (hopefully) 

4) Wait for song to finish.  When song is done, press Audio Recorder button to stop recording.

Note: This stops audio recording but leaves the audio recorder in playback standby mode.  We need to stay here to play back the file.  

5) Press Song Recorder until the red light is off.  This exits the song recorder playback mode so we can playback the usb audio next.

6) Press play/stop.  This should be playing back your first usb audio recording.  It will be named TAKE00 on the flash drive.  

Jokeyman, would you test this for him? Possibly clarify if it's not right?  I don't have access to a PX-350.  I'm only going from my experience with the PX-5s and reading the PX-350 manual.    :unsure:   Everything indicates that it should be possible to usb audio record while the internal sequencer plays back. 

It is and it works. I just didn't want to complicate matters-look at how long my post is, I find it hard to describe some of these functions without going into great detail, since one wrong button press and the whole process will not work. And what you describe is only necessary if you are both playing back a pre-recorded "song recorder" song and want to record an "audio recorder" track in addition to that.

I was assuming hawkerpilot that you only want to record an "audio" file. Brad, I will check the functions regarding using both at the same time, I just didn't want to make it even more confusing. My understanding is that once you record a "song recorder" song-which is the "data" recording, not the audio recording, you can play this back with play/stop while arming the "audio" recorder to record your playing performance at the same time as the song recorder song is playing. And now, although i haven't tested this, the entire performance-your "song recorder" song and your live playing along with the song recorder song you recorded in "song recorder" mode done once you arm "audio recorder" mode will "re-record" all of this-as an "audio" file and automatically save all that as a .wav file automatically on the thumb drive. Again, if you are only recording your playing as data, not audio you just need to use the functions in the "song recorder" mode, the audio button has nothing to do with that. Nor does the audio recorder button have anything to do with just recording your playing as an audio file, these are 2 completely different functions. it gets complicated if you want to combine both functions as my long explanation illustrates!

I haven't tried the reverse-recording song recorder data while listening to an audio recorder file-it wouldn't make sense, since the song recorder "data" cannot be recorded with the "audio recorder" but I guess you could record a song recorder part while playing back your audio recording although I'm not sure this will work.-in other words, record an "audio" file first, then record with the "song recorder" while recording data as you play along with your audio recording. I think the PX has been designed to record the data file first, or take a midi file off the thumb drive for your accompaniment, load that into the song recorder and play that with play/stop as i said before, then arm the audio recorder and record your addtional part. You have to do everything in exactly the right sequence or it will not work. Sort of like flying a plane! Complex stuff for a 'digital piano"! But only because it can record your playing as data-(song recorder) or as audio-(audio recorder) and then record both together as "audio data". Finally to hawker again, I'm sorry if all this explaining only made it worse. Let us know if we've helped or...............? Whew, getting late, over and out for now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

hi all, this seems hellish, really the px350 is a piano, to be played, whilst it may have track recording it is not a workstation, nor has the price of one.

I would prefer if casio would cut all this out and make a first class keybed and sound samples with editing. Those who want to record can use external equipment via midi.

I have several workstation foodgroups with sampling, sequencing etc for easy stuff with 400 plus pages of documentation for each one to torture myself with if I have nothing better to do :rolleyes:  and I use a little Lifebook with an old version of Cakewalk for external midi recording with the PX350 which works well, but its challenging for a nerd like me to get stuff to work beyond its capabilities. and the 17 track sequencer is workable within its capabilities- "a man's got to know his limitations......." as said Clint Eastwood who happens to be a fine piano player, maybe he'll buy a Casio and join us here now that I quoted him! :P There are actually those of us years back who would buy an EEprom burner, source the built-in code in a manufacturer's chip (reverse engineer it), and re-write routines into a new eeprom or the existing factory one to add/change features to some of the earlier instruments, not a job for the faint-hearted and similar to what I do when I "root" a tablet or phone and install a custom ROM. Now most manufacturers lock code (understandably in this day and age of copyright stealing) so this is not possible or necessary with most newer instruments. The PX350 is an example of this type of locked in software code I think. Still a wonderful piano IMO.

• 3 years later...

Ironically, I had to review my own post just now to record some song recorder stuff on my px350 since I've been away from it for a month or two (I only get out for good behavior from the Shady Rest Insane Musician's Technophobia Home and they don't let me play with any keyboards there😛).

Boy does the PX 360 and PX560 Privia look even better than ever. Soon.....

Just one more followup for those with px350s...the quickest workflow i can get through is to record a multi-track composition using the song recorder first. Once that is done, place the song recorder in play mode, arm the audio recorder for recording (light flashes) and hit start button to play the song recorder song. Make sure your thumb drive is installed and "mounted"-now the song recorder song is recorded as your .wav file on the thumb drive with the audio recorder. I can quickly save compositions like this, delete the song recorder song-which is helpful since there are only five memory slots for song recorder songs. Took me awhile to get the routine down. Have to remember the exact correct sequence of button pushes. But even with the limited buttons on the PX350 panel, not so bad. The tough part for me at least, is remembering to set the audio or song sequencer button for playing or recording, before you press the function button to get to the functions you need for each. And that holding down a button brings up much different functions than just pressing the button and releasing.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem.

I record a multi-track song using the song recorder.

The thumb drive is installed and mounted.

I press  Fxn + song recorder and pick Song #1 but when I press Audio Record it does not light unless I exit the song I wanted to load to flash drive.

Any help appreciated,

Jo

PS - Ne'mind -- I thought the song had to be displayed while loading, but apparently it does not.  Thanks, anyway.