Video Files on Forum ×

CTK 481 Problem

I've had the Casio CTK 481 midi Keyboard for a while now.I am using a Windows 8 Acer laptop where i make my music from using Reason 7 as the DAW. One night, Reason found my keyboard and I was playing notes. The next day when I started my session, the keyboard could not be found, which made me try and do different things to get it back working again. I even downloaded a midi program 'Loopbe1" to be able to assist on transferring the midi signal from the keyboard to the computer. Right now, I am stuck right now thinking if this model is too old for my laptop or I am doing something wrong. Can somebody help me out with this problem?

The CTK-481 does not have a USB port.  

This model has traditional midi in and out din ports.  This means you must be using a midi adapter of some type for your computer.  

If your computer cannot find a midi device at all, the issue lies within your midi adapter or computer software.  The Casio keyboard cannot be the issue in this case.

Yea i bought a midi usb adapter form guitar center (Mio Midi to USB) and that adapter shows on reason, but ever since that night I got a signal, I wasnt able to get another one. And gary, that site didnt do nothing for me. Maybe I am doing something wrong setting my midi keyboard to the program. Can you guys tell me how you would connect your keyboard to the DAW you are using.

Casio drivers are not applicable for this model.  It is not designed to connect to a computer directly.

Personally, I use an E-Mu Xtab 1x1 for MIDI only keyboards when connecting to usb.  Nice price and has lamps to help diagnose when problems arise.  

Sounds like you computer is seeing the midi usb adapter just fine.  

Do you have another way to test the midi adapter?  Another keyboard?

Does the midi adapter have a lamp to indicate receipt of midi signals from the keyboard?  It the lamp lights when keys are pressed, then it's a midi setting that needs changing in the software or keyboard

Some light reading for you.  http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/ctk_481_01_e.pdf#page=34

Gary I feel dumb af!!! i tried reversing the cables and it worked!!!! I guess that when i was playing notes that night, i connected them reversed and didnt know. But this keyboard was given to me from my pops. My grandma had it at her house for some years. So when he found out i was doing music, he did that favor for me and grabbed it from her. I am looking forward to upgrading my equipment once i mastered the stuff I got already, which now i can make progress now on thanks to you guys. I really do appreciate the help... 

But one more thing: besides the casio brand, do u recommend any other model or brands i should look into?

Glad to hear you got it working...

Casio has a pretty good lineup with the WK-7600 the XW-P1 and XW-G1 and the PX-5S.

For the moment those are the only Casios I'd take seriously unless I was trolling Ebay for Vintage gear like the CZ-5000 or CZ-1000 or CZ-101.

Otherwise it all depends on your budget and your style of music.

There are plenty of other great keyboards and modules out there depending on what style you prefer to play in and how much you are willing to spend.

Take a look at your local craigslist and see what's available.  There's new bargains popping up there every day.

Gary  ;)