Video Files on Forum ×

data manager cannot see my sequencer file saved on sd card

slegnav

All, 

I formatted a 4 GB SD card on the wk7600 properly (musicdat folder is there etc.,) and saved two sequencer files on the sd hc card.  I dowloaded DM6.1 that says it's compatible with a 64 bit windows 8 machine.....when i invoke DM in the audio mode selecting the sd card......it shows 20 casiowv files with 0mb of data on each file and 0MB of 1245 MB  total and more importantly none of my files....I saved the files on the WK7600 in the SMF and as a sequencer file format.(in the form .cms and .mid file.)...when I look at the card using windows 8 explorer (not DM) it has my two files on the card showing both files have data in the form .cms and .mid file.........and not the casiowv files...I repeated the process in reformatting the SD card on the Casio....and saved again in both formats even downloaded DM again....hence...same problem.....any ideas on why they are not showing up in DM even though they are on the card as verified by file explorer...any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.....

thanks....

Unfortunately DM only is looking for sd card....I copied the folder musicdat to the desktop.....DM did not see it and I did not see the functionality in DM to search for the file outside of being on an SD card.  I was wanting to convert the sequencer file to a wav file in the DM audio mode which the manaul says that it can convert sequencer files saved to an SD card to a pc in a wav format using DM.

thanks...

The Data Manager can not convert a sequencer file directly to a WAV file.  The sequencer file is MIDI data.  There is no audio (sound) content in it to convert.  You do an audio recording of the sequencer file (as it plays) to a Casio proprietary audio file on the SD Card.  (See the bottom half of the left hand column of Page 125 in the WK-7600 Manual.)  Then you use the Data Manager to export (convert) the Casio proprietary audio file from the SD Card to a WAV file on the PC.  It is this second (final) export (conversion) step that the Data Manager User Guide is making reference to.  To do this, you must physically remove the SD Card from the WK-7600 and plug it into the card reader on the PC.  Data Manager can not do this export (conversion) via the USB cable.

Also, the MUSICDAT folder on the SD Card is only for NON-AUDIO files.  AUDIO files are stored (saved) in a hidden folder on the SD Card.  While the Audio mode of the Data Manager will show the files in this folder, Windows will not show it.  Those 0 Mb files are placed there by the WK-7600's format process.  The fact that all of yours are still at 0 Mb indicates that you have not, as yet, recorded any audio data.

You may be having a problem with the fact that Page 125 of the WK-7600 manual leads you to believe that pressing the START/STOP button in the transport controls starts both the Song Sequencer playback and the Audio Recorder.  THAT IS NOT CORRECT.  The first press of the Audio Record button just places it in Record Standby mode.  You have to press the Audio Record button a SECOND time to actually start the recording. 

The correct procedure is:

1. Press the Song Sequencer button and select the song you want to record (convert) to an audio file.

2. Press the Audio Record button.  The button will flash and the word AUDIO will flash in the display screen.

3. Select an available audio file number to record to (No asterisk in front of the file number) or see note below.

4. Press the Audio Record button a second time.  The flashing displays go steady.

5. Audio recording begins as soon as the "Please Wait . . ." message disappears.

6. Press the START/STOP button to start Song Sequencer playback as soon as "Please Wait . . ." disappears.

7. When playback is finished, press Audio Record again to end recording and write the file.

Note:  If you selected a previously recorded file in Step 3 above, you will get an "Overwrite ?" message.  Press the YES button if you want to overwrite the previous data.

As soon as you do, you will get the "Please Wait . . ." message.  Press the START/STOP button as soon as it disappears. 

Song Sequencer playback start and audio recording start are not synchronized.  They are two separate manual operations,  So, any time delay between the disappearance of the "Please Wait . . ."

message and pressing the START/STOP button will appear as dead space (silence) ahead of the final audio recording, although this does provide a means of placing a dead space protective buffer

ahead of your recorded data.  A 5 second wait after the "Please Wait . . ." message disappears places a 5 second dead space protective buffer ahead of your recorded data.  Some playback devices

tend to stumble occasionally when recorded data is butt up against the file header.

I think I can see what is happening.  just posted something about the CTK7000 and PX350 which have similar "confunctions". Data Manager can transfer "data" files directly from the Casio to the computer or the other way around and also "audio" files. What it cannot do is take a "data" file-the .cms and .mid files and convert these into a .wav or other form of audio file. The manual is difficult to understand so I can see where the confusion could come from. I've had to download the .pdf user guide for data manager just to be sure I had all this straight. What data manager can do with audio files is the confusing part-you are able to transfer .wav files from the computer to the Casio SD card, but apparently it will automatically convert those to its own readable "wav' format and there is no explanation what it is doing-I think it has to do with file naming conventions and the specific type of .wav file the Casio can play with its "audio player" internally-there are 8-bit, 16-bit raw, and many other kinds of .wav files in the computer world which Windows automatically recognizes and plays correctly but the Casio must need one particular type of .wav file. My "guess" is that the data manager has to sort out any form of .wav file from your computer and process it for the Casio.

Now to what i think is happening, why your .wav files are showing up blank. When you create a song with the song "sequencer" and save it as a .mid or .cms file, this is a pure "data" file and can only be played by the Casio internal "song sequencer" or with a computer midi sequencer which recognizes .mid files....but not the audio player. To have this "song sequencer" song created and stored as a .wav file, you must-and this is where the manual makes my eyes crossed-go to "song sequencer' or "rhythm' mode-assuming you've already created a recorded "data" track or tracks with the WK "song sequencer"-and get ready to record it as an audio file by arming "audio" record, then go back to song sequencer mode and play it with the song sequencer start/stop button while the Casio is in audio record mode-the red LED is flashing. if all this isn't done exactly right, nothing will record and be saved as a .wav file, you will still only have the .mid or .cms file in the "musicdat" folder. But if you do this exactly right-the .wav file should be automatically stored in the Casio.

Do you have a separate "wavedata" and "userdata" folder in your computer file structure?  With data manager up and running, look under "preferences"-there is a window showing where on your computer these 2 folders are. If there is nothing there, you must create it as you would any other Windows file system folders. The path should be this or something similar based on your computer's file structure:

C:\CASIO\EMI\DataManager6\UserData

C:\CASIO\EMI\DataManager6\WaveData

I f these folders do not exist, the WK will not be able to transfer anything using the data manager and this may be where your .wav files are if you created them according to my description. When you install data manager it supposed to create these 2 folders for you automatically, check to see what data is already in those folders if you find them. You should still be able to transfer anything you copy to the SD card from your computer directly into the WK, without using data manager at all. But that is an entirely different bunch of button-presses!

Try putting a few computer .wav files in the "wavedata" folder in your computer if you have any-check the media folder in Windows which has its startup and other system sounds in there as .wav files already if you don't have any of your own .wav files, then see if data  manager recognizes those, and see if you can transfer those into the WK from the "audio" tab in data manager. Those files will be loaded into the WK and if necessary as far as I can tell, will be converted by data manager into a form playable by the WK, but only from the "audio player" mode, not the "song sequencer". Just keep in mind, the 2 functions are totally different, but work together only if you want to record a "song sequencer" song, play it back, and then record it using the audio recorder function to save as a .wav file in the WK. 

Sorry again for such a long post, but these are complicated by the fact that in addition to having all the auto-accompaniment features, registration memories etc. you now have a data sequencer/recorder, an audio recorder, drawbar organ setup. Bound to be a few things not so readily apparent. Read our posts about the manuals, If the manuals were better, we might not have needed this forum! hope I helped.

ok...Ted and Jockeyman123 nailed it and I'm glad both weighed in....it helps to read two explanations from different sources when your brain dead reading the manual........I could not get the fact that you have to play the sequencer file in audio mode to be able to create the file necessary to write to the sd card and then use DM to transfer file to  pc using the card outside of the wk..... works flawless when you know how to do it right.....I assumed after you created the sequencer file in the wk..that I could use that saved file...and would not have to go thru playing it...kind of seems like an unnecessary step .. but it is what it is.......I really like the wk7600 but wish that these workstation could operate more like a window or mac computer op system.....maybe casio will look at these post for new ideas for next gens....ok...hold on to your hats folks....next step....hooking up wk to daw......might/probably will be back for more.....

thanks again for all your responses and help....