Video Files on Forum ×

px-350 -- Very quiet recordings that have STATIC :(

Tim727
Go to solution Solved by Mike Martin,

Hey all,

So this kind of covers two issues. First of all, is it just me or has anyone else noticed then when recording to a thumb drive and then playing the .wav file on the computer the recordings are VERY VERY quiet? When I record and playback on the px-350 itself, the volume is absolutely fine, with or without headphones. However, when I record a song to a thumb drive and then open it on my PC it's so quiet that it's almost inaudible.

I've tried to get around this by using Audacity to amplify the track. Audacity is able to usually amplify the track by on average about 15 db before clipping would occur ... and this helps to increase the audio to a suitable volume (although I would still prefer to be able to go a bit louder) ... BUT there is a (major) caveat. After amplifying the track, particularly for a track with a lot of pianissimo playing, I'll notice quite a bit of background static (which is much more noticeable when using headphones). In addition you can here this other noise that I would describe as kind of a "thumping" sound -- one for every single note. Has anyone else come across this?

Here's a link to a track which demonstrates both the static and the thumping quite well:

https://pianissimo.bandcamp.com/track/intelligent-design

It's extremely frustrating because I want fairly pristine quality recordings and this static is unacceptable. So much so that if it's endemic to the px 350 (as opposed to a defect in just mine) I'll be forced to purchase a piano virtual instrument just to get the results I want. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim

edit: The issue is definitely caused by neither Audacity NOR the amplification process. The static is there even with the original file (before any modifications/amplifications). It's just that it becomes more pronounced after amplification. Not amplifying is not an option though because the recordings are so ridiculously quiet to start out.

I haven't noticed the background static but I've heard the 'thumping" you refer to on mine.

Some players here are saying this is the artificial "harp" noise built into the sample layers when using pedal but I don't think that's what you are hearing. The possibility (I think) is that the PX is actually picking up the physical sound of the keys hitting inside, and somehow this is being transmitted electronically-as if the key contacts are acting as miniature microphones and the physical key action sound is now slightly audible-before I modified mine, the keys made pretty loud thump similar to what this sounds like. Since this is a fairly quiet action compared to others I've played except for this "thump" it can be heard particularly in p, pp passages.

And yes there is a marked difference in the gain of the audio recorder inside the PX compared to my computer-audio straight off the thumb drive needs to be increased in Audacity or any other audio player. And increasing gain there will also increase background noise proportionally. I guess the only solution is to record straight to the computer, which kind of defeats the purpose of being able to record to the thumb drive. There is a noise filter in Audacity, i don't know how good it is. There are also software programs that have pop and noise filters, designed for use when recording old vinyl records. Not the best solution, but all I can come up with.

• 1 month later...
  • Solution

The PX-350 USB recording function is designed to have enough audio headroom for use of the 17 track recorder or Piano plus the arranger capabilities.  It is designed to record all of these parts at once without distorting during the recording.  If you simply record 1 instrument, that full dynamic range is not being used so when you "amplify it" in your software you're also raising the noise floor.  The best solution for recording one instrument sound such as piano is to record using the audio outputs to a quality audio interface with proper levels set of the number of sounds you're using.