Linux anyone?

barxxo

Hi there,

any linux users in here? I wanted to update firmware of my xw g1.

I started Updater.exe via wine but it always tells me "not connected".

Maybe someone already solved this problem?

DataEditorG1.exe works fine using wine. 

Thanks in advance

I run my XW-P1 with Linux.  Like you said, the data editor and my versions of cakewalk run fine under WINE.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UPGRADE FIRMWARE WITH WINE!!!@!

If the firmware upgrade fails in the middle it WILL BRICK YOUR KEYBOARD!!!!!

You HAVE to use a Windows machine or a Mac to do the firmware upgrade and FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.  DISABLE YOUR ANTIVIRUS AND DO NOT RUN ANY OTHER PROGRAMS IN THE BACKGROUND WHILE DOING THE UPDATE!!!!

Borrow a laptop if you have to to do the update or use a dual boot system.  I wouldn't recommend trying it with a Virtual Machine though.

There's a few threads on this subject here on the forums.   A few unlucky people have already bricked their machines and had to ship them back to the factory for repair.  There is no user DIY method for recovering from a bad upgrade!!!

Here's the main one:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/5522-updating-the-xw-firmware/

Good luck and hope this helps.

Gary

• Like 1

It's worthwhile to keep a dual boot system, at least one in your arsenal.  Basically anytime you have to do any sort of firmware update these days, it's ALWAYS a Windows Loader and Virtualized Machines and emulators just don't cut it for the crazy kinds of port access that they require.

Whenever I buy a new box to install Linux on I'll always take the opportunity to pick up an OEM copy of Winderz just for these and other occasions when it simply refuses to run on Linux and there is no alternative.

What flavor of Linux are ya running and what DAW software are ya using?  I always enjoy sharing notes with a fellow Linux musician.

We are a rare and unique breed ;)

Gary :D

Absolutely agree,  do not do anything other than Mikes intructions on firmware upgrade. I have the unpleasant distinction of being the first here at least to brick my XW by leaving my virus scanner active which interrupted the process while I was doing it as it scanned the upgrade file. That alone sabatoged the entire process, and I had already upgraded from the earliest to the next step up. I am an avid fan of Linux, known to many of us as Android (same basic OS fyi except Google hijacked a version of it, repackaged it as Google Android. Currently using Puppy Slacko latest 5.7 running Wine also. It is so fast compared to Windows that most days I go online with its version of Firefox. I run it with a "frugal" install on the hard drive, even with many  updated programs it uses so little memory. And many music programs, a much betterpartition manager and every software program I need.

It's worthwhile to keep a dual boot system, at least one in your arsenal.  Basically anytime you have to do any sort of firmware update these days, it's ALWAYS a Windows Loader and Virtualized Machines and emulators just don't cut it for the crazy kinds of port access that they require.

Whenever I buy a new box to install Linux on I'll always take the opportunity to pick up an OEM copy of Winderz just for these and other occasions when it simply refuses to run on Linux and there is no alternative.

What flavor of Linux are ya running and what DAW software are ya using?  I always enjoy sharing notes with a fellow Linux musician.

We are a rare and unique breed ;)

Gary :D

Absolutely agree,  do not do anything other than Mikes intructions on firmware upgrade. I have the unpleasant distinction of being the first here at least to brick my XW by leaving my virus scanner active which interrupted the process while I was doing it as it scanned the upgrade file. That alone sabatoged the entire process, and I had already upgraded from the earliest to the next step up. I am an avid fan of Linux, known to many of us as Android (same basic OS fyi except Google hijacked a version of it, repackaged it as Google Android. Currently using Puppy Slacko latest 5.7 running Wine also. It is so fast compared to Windows that most days I go online with its version of Firefox. I run it with a "frugal" install on the hard drive, even with many  updated programs it uses so little memory. And many music programs, a much betterpartition manager and every software program I need.

Dear fellow linux users,

at first i want to apologize for my relatively limited english, i'm from germany. 

At the moment i run linux only. I've no easy access to a win8 - key. Would've to buy one, too expensive for me. 

Im a very satisfied user of Manjaro Linux, a user friendly Arch Linux fork. 

It's easier to install than Windows 7 and runs for a year now without major problems. 

I don't like to use computers to make music, i need hardware, knobs and sliders :-) (although i was experimenting with "Pure Data" and still want to in future)

One week ago i bought my Casio XW G1. It's a fascinating machine but imho not easy to master, if you dig deeper. 

I own another synth, a MicroKorg, then there is a Kaossilator, first generation. I'm selling my sampler and a keyboard on ebay, because the Casio will replace them both hopefully :-)

Jokeman: i feel sorry for you. How dit you solve this? Could your Casio be repaired?

Another Linux user here. I usually dual boot with windows 8.1 . Unfortunately there are applications not running on linux systems and have to use windows. But since win7 and later (especially on win8.x) there is huge improvement on the kernel for audio applications and the performance boost is noticeable.

When people ask me which os to use I suggest the one appropriate with their needs (I am not a micros*ft hater anymore).

For music making in linux, I strongly suggest 2 distros ,especially for people that have not much experience on tweaking a linux machine:

-AVLinux

-KXStudio

Most things work out of the box .

I've been using kXstudio for the past 5 or 6 years now.  It's excellent for configuring and using MIDI apps.  Otherwise I've been a steady Linux user for the past 16 years now but have always kept a copy of windows loaded on at at least one machine simply because some device drivers and firmware loaders do not work under Wine or Linux.  Personally I'm a big M$ hater, but I'm a pragmatist as well.  The only other alternative out there is Mac and that's WAAAAY more expensive and monopolistic than even M$ is.

Barxxo  >> Ich bin auch eine Deutsche aber ich wahr am Kanada geborn.  Ergenmahel muss Mann essen die Kosten and bezahlen den Geld.  Das schtimmt.  Wenn jemand keine andere Wahl haben, dann tun, was Sie haben.

Entschuldige mich für meine miese Deutsch, bin ich Kanadisch ;)

Gary

Barxxo-thanks to Mike Martin here in the US, Casio turned the XW-P1 around for me in less than a week, no charge which I don't think is typical but was a very generous approach to damage I did not anticipate as possible. But then, I live about 25 miles from Dover, NJ-brain central headquarters for Casio in the US-just a coincidence, what a nice place. I brought the Xw there myself, i wanted to see it in person. Very polite, friendly customer service-and met Mike in person, made me feel like a friend.

Linux-especially to happyrat whose info i've been following-just discovered a very interesting "distro" which apparently has been around awhile-I've had some trouble getting all the Linux music software to mesh-just my lack of experience and understanding-I've been "weaned" in the Microsoft bottomless pit of security patches, BSDs, mismatched drivers and assorted fecundities which has aged me even beyond what I should be :huh: . Came across something called Linux "Studio 3.3" and an upgrade version 4. Been trying both from the CDs (can be run live or from any portable drive as can most Linux variations or installed to hard drive as full install or "frugal"-and installed v4 as a "frugal" install on a separate partition I keep just for these Linux distros-also running Slacko Puppy 5.7 and have Ubuntu on a separate hard drive i keep just for that OS.  The nice thing about this one is that this was designed from the ground up primarily for music, but has all the other typical software needed for anything Linux-very sweet. Has Rosegarden, LM sequencer, alsa drivers for sound installed as well as all Jack connections and programs. Some amazing software in this! Full software synths, DSP frontends, i've just begun to experiment with it.

I'm on this forum with Slacko Puppy on a machine w/Windooz 7, Slacko Puppy and Studio v4 set up with grub4dos as my multi-boot loader. it has a firewall built-in, its amazing how fast browsers run in this, I am so used to the speed now that when I'm running browsers in windows it's so slow I think something's wrong witht my computer!  And these are fast OS! No more disk/thrashing at all. Best thing is that when windows c***s itself (which it seems to do alot) now I just delete it completely from that partition and re-install it. I keep my installed Windoo 7 programs, settings and other assorted mayhem on a separate partition, so Windoze can no longer consume everything on my computer next time it goes belly-up, which it did regularly before I learned to install and run Linux. Later. :)

Puppy is great minimal footprint disto. Only thing it kept me off ,was the file management. But I was shocked when experimenting on a pentium 3 (with 512 maxed RAM),ancient machine which could act as a solid midi sequencer and 8 track robust recorder!

Maybe some day (if it still works) I will replace the Hdd with a compact flash card...

Koriakos-take a look at the Studio 3.3 or 4 distro-pretty nice. Yes-hard to understand file management at first-from an Apple or Windows world-but its set up in a similar way just different names for what you are dealing with. Sort of like early DOS-Windows is only putting a graphic overlay to the old DOS commands in a way. Linux isn't doing that-you have to understand the old cryptic file structures a little since Linux is based on gulp-"Unix", the original comand-line gobbledygook. 

A little studying and one can move around pretty well from media files created in a Windows environment to the Puppy Linux programs to play these. I have all data and media files on a separate hd partition recognized as  "SDA 1" by Linux, the other is "SDA 2" although these are both still Windows partitions (C: and D:). I didn't need to use the "ext" native linux formatting to install the "frugal" package-I installed on an NTFS Windows partition. Linux "mounts" and "unmounts" partitions manually (just click on its icon on the desktop) or can set up to do it on startup. I couldn't find all my .mid and .mp3 files to play in Puppy until I mounted the drive to see my D: Windows partition. And there isn't much to mess up anything. A frugal install installs the entire operating system in its own separate folder visible in Windows. delete this and its gone.

The tricky part is grub4dos built into Puppy and othe Linuxes-this is now your bootloader for Windows too instead of the Windows bootloader-so it must stay installed even if you delete the frugal install folder unless you restore your original master boot record if you only want to boot into Windows and eliminate the Grub window showing at computer startup. So that gets a little technical. If worse comes to worse and you can't boot into Windows (I've done that)-just boot into the CD with Puppy on it, run grub4dos from that and it makes a new bootloader file (called menu.lst) for dual-booting again. Certainly beats having the whole machine rendered inaccessible because Windows pooched everything. And 3.3 comes with "Wine" installed-I can run the Windows versions of the Casio editors in Puppy. Again, it's fast. Runs in RAM so don't need a solid state drive to speed it up. The only problem I'm having is that these "Studio" versions aren't finding my wireless network but other versions are fine with that. I am researching that on Puppy forums, there is alot of support for Linux online. Excruciating finding and solving problems with Windows. Of course you Apple guys and girls don't have to worry about any of this I think. Good for you! :)

I also just discovered something I downloaded  called "ArtistX" which is based on a Ubuntu distro and is designed as a very comprehensive specialized music distro and can run "live" from a DVD or installed to whatever drive you want-HD, thumb etc like most distros. I haven't tried it yet, need to burn the iso to a DVD (it fills an entire DVD which is large for Linux) and run it which I'll do today and check back in.

Stumbled upon someone selling it on eBay. It's open source so I don't think anyone is allowed to do that, I'm going to send an email to the developers and check. I Googled it and came upon the actual website to download it with a suggested donation to support the developers which I will if it works. Has many of the Linux music programs I've tried already, I'm anxious to see if all the audio and midi drivers are set up and i have found Ubuntu a little slower on my machines, but also more developed and seems a little more well-supported for music. primarily like this to record with PX350 and XW-P1, the Linux DAWs are very nice. Best thing is that all these OS are working fine side-by-side on what used to be my Windows machines.  I'm on this forum with Puppy slacko 5.7 and Firefox and I can browse so much faster than any Windows-based browser, and I've tried them all.

The GNU license allows the sale of a distro for a nominal fee to cover media costs.  While it's a little sleazy and usually available as a free download it does provide a physical copy to those who have no access to high speed internet.  And yes there are still people out in rural areas who lack a DSL or Cable connection.

Gary ;)

@Jokeyman123

You can charge whatever you want for most open source programs and even re-sell them. But you are obliged to point to a downloadable source.

For example look at the

http://www.getstudio1337.com/

This distro is for sale. The guy has any right to do it ,BUT he is wrong on not making it public to the community. (it's puppy-based distro)

The good part is that if I buy the distro ,I can resell it for 1$ or give it away free to public.

Ok thanks guys for clarifying.

I have no objection to paying towards developers, I just like to be sure someone who did no development at all is not profiteering from someone else's hard coding work. I'd hate to see the open-source community taken over by any single entity who now could control further development and charge developers for that (Microsoft you know who you are).  I'm not thrilled at the way Google for instance has pretty much commandeered Android (basically an open-source OS) and make it almost completely unusable unless you fire up "Google Play Services" etc. Even custom ROMs and mods are not able to easily work around what has now become the Google operating system. So I will continue to try to learn everything I can about the various Linux OS. By the way, I could not get this ArtistX DVD to boot with Grub4Dos installed as my bootloader. Might be the disk, might be I still don't totally understand Grub4Dos which seems to pre-empt my bios setting to boot from the CD drive first. I still see Grub4Dos menu.lst file boot up first. Guess I have more studying/homework to do!

Wow, just checked out Studio 13.37 at 79 bucks! This is Puppy Studio from what I can see. I don't see any support for the Puppy Studio website I found, so I suppose this might be the developer selling it after all. Nothing wrong with trying to make some money (as a poor musician believe me I know what I'm talking about!) At least most of the Linux world is still open source, open to developers and programmers.  I guess this will keep a balance between those out for a quick buck, and the people who created all this in the first place.

I've tried Ubuntu Studio and KXstudio in the past five years.

I keep coming back to KXstudio in the end.  It is simply the most full featured and complete of the multimedia distros out there and nobody is trying to squeeze a buck out of it either.

Also Ubuntu Studio has been added to the official debian repos out there and it is actually possible to install Ubuntu Studio on top of KXstudio without any fatal errors.

Anyway, here's the official KXstudio release site.

http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/

It's stable, it's functional and it's pretty much bulletproof and fast.

Just install it as a dual boot with Windows or whatever other favorite distro you are running and it handles all the low latency kernel stuff and JACK connection kit and Catia routing seamlessly in the background.

It's pretty much fully configured right out of the box!

Gary ;)

Here's Ubuntu studio if you prefer to go that route.

http://ubuntustudio.org/

You told me that before, I should have listened the first time! I am downloading the version 14.04 Live DVD version now. If I want to keep a dual boot system I guess this is the version I want? and could you explain installing Ubuntu on top of KXStudio? I have an older Ubuntu distro I think version 12.1 or 2 still installed on a spare hard drive I use with a lenovo X60 tablet which is one of the few Linux distros that works with the tablet functions, but it is installed as a stand-alone not dual boot OS.  I like it, but it seems to swap to the HD alot like Windows, not as fast as the Puppies, but then it was much more well-supported by the repositiories. Thanks happyrat! :)

First of all KXstudio is a modified Ubuntu Distro, with version numbers concurrent with Ubuntu.

So downloading KXstudio 14.04 is basically downloading Ubuntu 14.04 along with multimedia addons and a few additional repositories.

Anyway, in the standard Ubuntu repos there is also the option to install the meta packages ubuntustudio which can either run under stock Ubuntu or can be installed on top of KXstudio adding a few more packages and menus and customizations but it honestly isn't necessary.

I really shouldn't even have brought it up.

Anyway, for the time being just install KXstudio 14.04 and get used to the software before you start hacking around trying to break it :D :D :D

Gary ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, just checked out Studio 13.37 at 79 bucks! This is Puppy Studio from what I can see. I don't see any support for the Puppy Studio website I found, so I suppose this might be the developer selling it after all. Nothing wrong with trying to make some money (as a poor musician believe me I know what I'm talking about!) At least most of the Linux world is still open source, open to developers and programmers.  I guess this will keep a balance between those out for a quick buck, and the people who created all this in the first place.

If you want to try

http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/aarf/Studio-PuppyStudio/

and ardour 4

http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/10wt3ch/Ardour/

:)