Video Files on Forum ×

want to play classic, romantic and easy listening - buy?

HeftCD

Hi,

=====================================================

I do not want to amke somebody angry or disturb. Please excuse - that is not my intent - these are just my current impressions.

All I want is to really love this piano !!! I hope you can understand me.

=====================================================

earlier I tended to buy a lower cost digital piano. my favourite until December was Yamaha DGX 650 which not had the best sounds too, but was affordable without having stress with my girlfriend.

But then I played the PX 5s in a shop.

Several times now.

At first I was impressed by the really phat sound of the Grand piano.

But pressing some keys without knowledge (first time, no shop assistant in the near to ask) I felt it was very difficult just to change instruments.

After pressing + and - together (on the stage side) I was able to change to Mellow Grand and other. But. mmh, well that was not so convincing.

Also the simple layering function (strings over piano ) was not fulfilling. - I have a 80€ keyboard, which as more powerful PainoStringsLayering function.

But I further was impressed of the keys itself. The play feeling and sensivity.

Then at home I searched for videos on youtube.

There are some about WahahaWhahaah, didididididpBididididid, and jadadaddadad sounds,some from trade shows and exhibitions where it was praised as the new tool to create weeeehwehhhwehheee sounds. [in my eyes that sounds like a 30 yr old Bentompi-Orgun]).

But I miss some from private users they play famous pieces (classical [beethoven, Mozart, etc.] or Pirates of Carribean, etc.) to compare.

Because I want to play classical (as above), romantic (Clayderman,etc.) but I am interested in J.M.Jarre as well and would like to play some jazz or movie themes.

And I have a real wooden piano at home.

All videos I find are about the built in synthesizer - but less only about the grand piano and common sounds.

I further found http://sc3900.wix.com/px-5s?

where are some videos posted that I already know. Most about weewee and earlier mentioned.

Even the charriots of fire has no so phat piano sound :/

the pice of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaPtWWjpsb4#t

als sounds like a child organ.

Very light.

Not so impressing. Does one know that I mean?

I played a roland digital piano and it had a more saturated sound. Can I set this in this instruement anyhow, too? (I hope! - because the key pressure, keys ivory feeling and buying price are very interesting.

But I can't imagine what is playable with this that is well to listen?.

can one help me?

I do not want to amke somebody angry or disturb. Please excuse.

All I want is to really love this piano !!! I hope you can understand me.

many Thanks

If you are after classic, romantic, easy listening the PX-5S is the perfect instrument for you. The acoustic pianos and "softer" instruments provide a very mellow sound. Re: the "thin" sounds you are hearing online (YouTube, SoundCloud, etc) -- One thing you need to realize if those sounds are HIGHLY COMPRESSED by YouTube and SoundCloud so it streams quickly - LIVE the PX-5S sounds so much better, as you probably noticed playing in the shop... ESP if you BRING YOUR OWN HEADPHONES <---- SUPER IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you were not pulling up the sounds correctly - TO access the STAGE SETTINGS (the full sounds) - You press BANK, then the number of the sound your want. Ex. BANK 0 0 will get you the default piano.. If you press the +- you are just changing the "MELODY tone that makes up that total sound. To properly audition all the TRUE sounds PRESS BANK 0 0. Play and listen. Then press "1", play, listen. Press 2, play, listen, etc. UNTIL YOU GET TO 9. Then press BANK 1-0 - play listen, then press 1 (will bring you to sound 1-1) play listen... continue all the way to 9-9.

I will close by saying I have had my PX-5S for almost 2 years and love it more all the time. It is the center piece of my studio will remain there for quite a while. 

CHeers (ps go buy the PX-5S.. get your girlfriend something nice too) LOLOLOLOL

I have to agree with Scott.

I worked for several years at a yamaha home world shop(other brands are available)

Owned a Clavinova was always a yamaha keyboard player until recently.

I have just recently bought a PX 5S and I'm impressed with the expressivness and sound of the grand pianos.

Through headphones its sublime but through my Yamaha stagepas its excellent and certainly not thin.

I would have no doubts obout recommending this piano.

Anyway thats just my 2 cents.

Thanks

Graeme.

PS. We always used Sennheiser HD201 at the shop cheap but brilliant for pianos.

I have the PX350 which I believe has the same piano samples as the PX5s, same piano action keys but built-in speakers and not as versatile for choosing and programming other sounds as the PX5s.  I have been practiciing Chopin pieces, Mozart a few Beethoven works and jazz improv on this. It's no Steinway (How could it be!), but it gives me enough sense that I'm playing an acoustic that I can get through entire pieces without the typical digital piano problems. I can play for a good hour or so and no ear fatigue from poor samples. There is a decent dynamic response which allows for pp to ff without too much difficulty adjusting from an acoustic.

If I had time, I might be able to post a few classical  pieces as mp3s (is there a way to post mp3s directly here-otherwise I can post on soundcloud). Another consideration-balance from key to key-critical for classical and jazz playing-there is a good smooth dynamic balance from key to key and octave to octave on my PX350-I do not have to compensate for certain notes or octaves responding differently than others.

The only criticism i have is regarding key "bottoming"-what does the key feel like when striking bottom and I found my PX to be harder than a good acoustic although the PX5s might be better in that regard. A soft felt hammer is resting on strings in an acoustic, digitals do not do this but use a felt pad or layer for the key to stop on-I had to modify mine by adding more felt inside-it seemed too punishing for repeated forte passages required by many classical and jazz works at least to me. The PX felt better than most digitals I've played though-I sold my old Kurzweil RG200 since I was more comfortable playing the Casio for classical and jazz. Certainly more realistic sounding and plays better than my older Ensoniq hammer action keyboards-I play the "Perfect Piano" board in one older Ensoniq which as good as it is, still is not nearly as pleasing to play for classical as the Casio. Just my opinion.

yamaha 609

not comparable [ >price!!!, ], and there are some kinkydinky sounds at the beginning.

but can the casio reach a nearly warm, saturated grand piano sound, too?

here is another.

at minute 10:57 or;

at min 11:35 (M. Jackson) or

at 12:26 (Vangelis)

[yes, I know some sounds are typical for yamaha]

and here are the organs and Guitars mentioning (which sound here more realistic and not so agressive as on the casio):

(from minute 2 to 5)

here is a Roland:

▶ Roland F-130R Digitale Piano | Sound demo - YouTube

(

)

such a warm, saturated sound like at 0:32 or 1:49 - 1:59

or

▶ Kraft Music - Roland DP-90Se Digital Piano Demo with James Day - YouTube

(

)

at 0:59

and here I found

▶ Casio Privia Pro PX-5S -- PIANO Sound Bank Demo - YouTube

▶ Casio Privia PX-350 SoundBank 1 Demo - Grand Pianos - YouTube

and .. mhh, I have to say that casio sounds more harder, rougher and not so deep (it sounds that it does not come so low down as the keys would go and there is so less warm resonance ...).

compared to yamaha or roland it sounds poor :(

If you press down a lower left hand C on Roland or yamaha you geht thrown backwards ...

but on casio  it nearly sounds as twittering - compared to those :/

Do you know what I mean?

and if you close your eyes you can't here a difference to all the grand pianos except the mellow one which nearly sounds a bit squeezed like a bontempi organ :(

Mhh, anyway also on keyboards I never understood the usage of sounds like these.

Here it sounds that you want to avoid to use them in any music peace.

▶ Casio Privia Pro PX-5S -- SYNTH / VARIOUS Sound Bank Demo - YouTube

▶ Casio Privia Pro PX-5S -- GUITAR / BASS Sound Bank Demo - YouTube

where I find that I can't imagine a real usage those instruments/voices

In addition I repeat: I can't help me: I don't want to say anything bad about the casio, because I really want to buy and to love it! [the keys feel wonderful good for a digital]

And when searching for sound examples I only found that above.

That is why I am so tired and sad.

OK I'll take the bait. You want the sound of a £6000 cvp 609 which is basically the top end clp480 which is now a clp585 and a tyros 5 in a piano that costs £700-720.

I have played Roland Yamaha kawai Casio didital pianos yes they are all different, everyones ears are not the same hence some prefer roland for warmth over yamaha. Why does the organ sound on my Casio not sound like a Viscount envoy? Because an Envoy costs £8000 - 11000 not £700-720.

Why is the grand piano sound not like a Yamaha C3 acoustic grand £20,000 because its only £700-720.

I think you get the picture

If your going to compare sounds compare like for like products.

I can tell you there is nothing on the market that gives you the flexibility of altering the sound to your needs at this price point.

And by the way much as I like piano man chuck I think he's spent to much time playing old acoustic pianos in pubs the man has no touch whatso ever.

If you like the DGX650 which was nearly abandoned by Yamaha when it was the DGX640, then buy it and have fun with the cheesy rhythmns.

Yes the keybed seems to get critisms not for feel only for noise but what do you want for £700-720.

In all the years working in the industry building and delivering Casio digital pianos I can't recall ever having to go and uplift one for repair.

In conclusion you either like the sound or you don't you either like the feel or you don't but please compare like for like.

Anyway that's quite enough of me on my soapbox.

sorry if I've upset anyone

• Like 3