PX-350: User reviews, DP questions & hands-on experiences...

Dattaa

<<<

The drum track accompaniments are great but limited in terms of ride cymbals, accents etc.

<<<

The built-in rhythms can be edited in a limited way -- you can change instruments, change volume, or mute tracks. But (as far as I can see) you can't _create_ a new rhythm. For that, you need

a) the sequencer on the PX-5S (just announced at NAMM), or

B) a computer feeding MIDI signals to the PX-350, using a drum-kit "tone" to play them.

The PX-350 isn't a synth, or a workstation. As I am finding out . . .

. Charles

The PX-5S (just announced, not yet available) has looping sequences. Might be just right for drum patterns.

. Charles

I've never had any experience with Sequencers or Arpeggiators. Not sure how they relate to creating simple repetitive drum patterns like Swing, Bossa, Slow Rock, etc.

Assuming that the PX-5S does NOT have built in drum patterns (sigh!), can Mike tell me how easily drum patterns can be created, saved within performances, and triggered (and tempo chosen) on the fly during live performance? And, can Patterns as well as VARIATIONS associated with each Pattern be easily saved within performances and triggered like on boards that have a Rhythm Pattern section. In other words, can a Rhythm Pattern section be created on the PX-5S if it doesn't already have one - or at least can patterns (and variations) be easily accessed and adjusted while in any particular performance?

Mike, I enjoyed all your video demos from the show! Hope you can answer my concerns about Drum Patterns - I didn't see any reference to it in any of your videos.

Also, will the manual be available on the Casio website anytime soon!

THANKS!

Sonny

I've just succeeded in getting a "proof of concept" for using PC-based software to serve as a 'drum machine' for the PX-350. Start to finish was about 2 hours, including blind alleys. My PX-350 is happily playing a samba pattern which was _not_ in the built-in rhythms. And I can play piano over it!

The software was "seq24", available for free download here:

. . . http://www.filter24.org/seq24/

I'm using Windows 7, and ignored all the "linux" information -- there's a "....setup.exe" file that installs cleanly under Windows 7.

. . . Look in the "C:\Program Files\seq24" folder for a .TXT file -- it has very basic documentation.

. . . Google "seq24 tutorial" for several demos and tutorials, including some screen-capture videos.

This is a basic MIDI sequencer -- it records from the keyboard, lets you drop notes onto a "player piano" display, and lets you set up loops.

You'll need either a MIDI connection between computer and PX-350, or the USB equivalent. I used an M-Audio "Uno" MIDI-to-USB converter:

. . . the MIDI cables plug into the PX-350;

. . . the USB cable plugs into the PC.

i'm not going to try and write a tutorial to seq24 -- it's been done several times.

With the PX-350 set to use GM Tone "Standard Set 1" (number 129), you can set seq24 to use the PX-350's MIDI connection for input and output, and compose a drumkit pattern. "Looping" is automatic!

Start playing that pattern in seq24 (with MIDI output to the PX-350), and you can hear it on the PX-350.

You can then change the PX-350 tone to "Grand Piano Concert", and make sure that the Function/ MIDI/ "Local Control" value is "ON". And behold:

. . . the pattern keeps playing on the PX-350 drumkit tone, and

. . . You can play the PX-350 keyboard as a piano, over that backing track.

I don't fully understand how all of this works -- but it does. I leave "real-time performance" issues to those with more experience.

. Charles

I got my PX-350 3 weeks ago, here in Seoul for about USD 900 with cabinet and pedals.

So far I am delighted with the quality. I was coming from a Casio WK-1200, which I really liked, but now I don't want to go back to it.

A very different quality level...

One thing I miss in my old keyboard is the design of the buttons and clear labeling of all the functions, instruments etc.

And the nice graphic LCD display, which makes the LCD in the PX-350 look more like a pocket calculator.

Of course it would not look very good to have an electronic "piano" with what looks like an airliner cockpit behind it. On the other hand, there are already enough buttons to destroy any clean "piano" look, and yet they are not enough for good ergonomic control, with the 2-line display and the 1-button-27-functions approach.

I suppose the future will be in a tablet-like touchscreen with virtual buttons and messages, which can reconcile a clean design with ergonomics.

One question for other Casio owners:

I have tried to install the Caiso IDES 4.0 software, which could make it easier to manage user presets etc. than through the PX-350 spartan controls. But I ran into an install problem in Win 7 64 bits. Has anyone tried it? I am not sure it is compatible with Win 7, or even with the PX-350. The Casio site is very economic with information on IDES, it looks they have quietly abandoned it. On the other hand, it is mentioned in the PX-350 manual...

• 2 weeks later...

>>>

The grand piano sample is great through headphones but sounds a bit dull through the speakers. I need to see if there's a way to tweak the crispness of it without switching to a different voice.

<<<

Two suggestions:

1. Try the Function / Effects / Brilliance setting. The default is 0, the range is -3 to +3.

2. Run the Line Out (both of them, if you're using stereo) through a Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer, about $60. The mixer has a 3-band EQ, and the "Mid" knob gives a _huge_ range of "presence", from aggressive to very dull.

. Charles

I am a beginner on keyboard and bought this mostly for the USB and being able to bring into the piano, songs that I want to play along with. So far no luck with that and would appreciate it if you guys would go and check out the thread I started regarding this. Briefly: adjusting the song volume using the F key does not work. Pressing the F and rhythm keys (while user songs is lit up) brings up the song volume which I reduced to 01 doe not work. Volume stays the same.

I did use audacity and recorded the songs at a lower volume but this is very time consuming and tedious. There must be an easier way!

I bought a keyboard stand at Long and McQuade that is very sturdy so the keyboard does not move at all on carpet. It is not the "X" model but rather has four legs that are spread apart. It is foldable to take to gigs.

marylaf --

. . . What forum is that thread in, and what is its name ?

I know it's here somewhere, but I can't find it.

I've been experimenting, and here are my conclusions:

1. The "Song" volume level (in the Function menu) only affects the playback level of "User Songs". It doesn't affect the playback of "Song Recorder" songs, or of songs played back from a USB thumb drive, or of "Demo Songs".

2. A "User Song" is a very special thing. It is (I think!) a MIDI file (not an audio or ".WAV" file from Audacity). And it must be loaded into the PX-350 _from a computer_. I can't find anywhere in the User Manual that describes loading a "User Song" from anything inside the PX-350.

3. I'm going to work more on this tomorrow . . . Yuck, this is a real mess! And I used to be a computer programmer!<g>

. Charles

• 2 weeks later...

To reply to my own question, I have learned how to connect the PX-350 to Windows 7 via USB, and I guess it does the same via Windows Explorer, so there is no longer need for additional software. Forget about IDES 4.0..

I have tried to install the Casio IDES 4.0 software, which could make it easier to manage user presets etc. than through the PX-350 spartan controls. But I ran into an install problem in Win 7 64 bits. Has anyone tried it? I am not sure it is compatible with Win 7, or even with the PX-350. The Casio site is very economic with information on IDES, it looks they have quietly abandoned it. On the other hand, it is mentioned in the PX-350 manual...

Yes the PX-350 has 10 slots for (up to) 10 user songs. They are midi files and you can load them from the computer via USB cable or from a USB drive.

marylaf --

2. A "User Song" is a very special thing. It is (I think!) a MIDI file (not an audio or ".WAV" file from Audacity). And it must be loaded into the PX-350 _from a computer_. I can't find anywhere in the User Manual that describes loading a "User Song" from anything inside the PX-350.

• 4 weeks later...

Just figured out how to hook up my laptop to my 350 today. Thought the "Spanish" section my have a better explanation, but it didn't. Got a set of 16gig thumb drives at Costco and let the 350 format one drive in "it's" own special Casio way. Now the thumb drive and the laptop have the same file structure (which I may be able to figure out someday), and I hope I can use the midi files I put on the thumb drive to listen to later. Now I just need to figure out how to make Anvil Studio work with the 350. Loving the keyboard action, and my wall rack. Just need to add a set of LED lights so I can see "what all the little buttons say" without having to use a magnifying glass and a flashlight. The Japanese must have superior eye sight. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've had mine a week now. Love it! It has a lot of musical color. Mostly play the #1 piano sample. Hard to stop playing it. The only thing I'm concerned about is a non consistent sense of vibration on the left side as I face the keyboard, when bass notes somewhere lower that Middle C are played. Not consistent with single notes or chords. Its not that long or loud. My spouse cannot hear it. It doesn't quite sound like it is coming through the speakers - more the body of the unit - I am not sure if all units present this way. I have the keyboard on an x stand and tested it under carpet this morning. That seemed to eliminate some of the vibration. But I am still hearing something. A previous poster mentioned something about speaker vibrations that seemed authentic to him as part of grand piano sound. Some of the sounds don't seem to produce whatever this is I'm hearing. I hate to go back to GC and start getting in some crazy thing of trying another unit. Am trying to find out what other owners are experiencing. I love the keyboard. It is stimulating my creativity and expression. As soon as I sat down and began to play it, I could feel that happening. I had been looking at the Yamaha 105. I think its speakers are better, but its touch and sound are not. The sound is Yamaha - kind of plain vanilla. Am hoping for helpful feedback from you forum users. I also am waiting for a call back from Casio tech about this issue to see if they recommend trying another unit. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Do you have another set of speakers you can use??? When you plug in the extra speakers, the one's on the PX-350 so silent, so you can then tell if it's the internal speakers or if something else is loose inside. The trouble with GC is that there's a bit too much hanky panky going on in the shipping room. The store in South Seattle had a SP-32 hooked up to a PX-350. The 32 doesn't work with the 350, and it's hard to say how many sales they lost because players thought it was broken. I had my 350 set direct to me from Casio's Chicago warehouse via FedEx. It looked like it had been hand carried when the FedEx man gave it to me.

• 2 months later...

I've had my PX-350 for three months. Previously, I had the PX-330. I play professionally on a Yamaha PSR-S950 arranger keyboard. 

I can't get over how superb the Concert Grand piano sound is on the PX-350. Through headphones and my Logitech speakers (If you're on a budget, I highly recommend finding some used Z-2300 on Ebay). Really expressive. It's like owning a grand piano. 

Some of the electric pianos sound really good too. 

I can't believe how good the feel of the keys are and the action. It's amazing how much satisfaction this board provides me for less than $1000 with pedalboard and outboard speakers. 

Really like that I can plug my iPad player into the keyboard and that I can record audio directly onto a USB drive. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased PX 350 Last november and I am really happy with it. I enjoy recording with the usb audio recording feature, and the line in is absolutely amazing (you now have a line in recording facility - how cool is that). Piano tones (Concert grand, Studio Grand and Modern) are amazing. All initial tones in each of the categories are brilliant. I like the Stereo strings 1 and the violin section patch very much. One thing I miss is the Pizzicato strings. Is there any way to incorporate that in this instrument (a firmware upgrade, may be)? I really would love to have this patch on board.

Is there a way to allow the strings patch decay slowly when the sustain pedal is pressed?

For example, if we layer piano with strings, we have to consciously lift the pedal (it created dissonance).

If there is a way for strings to decay alsong with the piano (may be at a slower rate) it would be fabulous.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a 350 for my son who is a very serious student learning classical piano. Use it when we're away from home. Very good action to mimic a real piano. But disappointed in the speakers. They really diminish the capabilities of the whole product. Liked the korg 250's speakers much more but it didn't do as much and was much heavier to take traveling. Same with the Kawaii.

I understand that the solution is a good pair of headphones. What are the best headphones to get the most out of the sound on the 350? Hopefully Casio will consider better speakers next time.

• Like 1

. . . I understand that the solution is a good pair of headphones. What are the best headphones to get the most out of the sound on the 350? Hopefully Casio will consider better speakers next time.

Two solutions:

1.  Good headphones.  I use Sennheiser HD-280 Pro headphones, which I really like.  They're "closed-back", and block a lot of outside noise.  They have large pads, and rest on the head, not on the ears -- so they're comfortable for extended sessions.  

Sony V6 or MDR-7506 headphones would be an alternative.    For "open-back" headphones, any AKG or Sennheiser phones, at about the $100 price-point, should work fine.  AKG K240's are an old stand-by, if you can find them.

2.  Improved loudspeaker(s).  I have an Electro-Voice ZXA1 powered PA loudspeaker on order, and will report back here.  Other people have used "powered studio monitors" by Mackie, M-Audio, and so on.  

There have been extensive discussions on the "Digital Piano" forum at

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/6/1/Digital%20Pianos%20-%20Synths%20&%20.html

if you want to learn more, and read more (many more!) opinions.

.             Charles

• 2 weeks later...

Two solutions:

1.  Good headphones.  I use Sennheiser HD-280 Pro headphones, which I really like.  They're "closed-back", and block a lot of outside noise.  They have large pads, and rest on the head, not on the ears -- so they're comfortable for extended sessions.  

Sony V6 or MDR-7506 headphones would be an alternative.    For "open-back" headphones, any AKG or Sennheiser phones, at about the $100 price-point, should work fine.  AKG K240's are an old stand-by, if you can find them.

2.  Improved loudspeaker(s).  I have an Electro-Voice ZXA1 powered PA loudspeaker on order, and will report back here.  Other people have used "powered studio monitors" by Mackie, M-Audio, and so on.  

There have been extensive discussions on the "Digital Piano" forum at

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/6/1/Digital%20Pianos%20-%20Synths%20&%20.html

if you want to learn more, and read more (many more!) opinions.

.             Charles

Charles,

have you tried the ZXA1 yet?

Yes -- the ZXA1 works really well.  It's completely relaxed, nicely balanced, and reasonably compact.  It's about 3' away from my head, so it's not being stressed at all.  I'm happy with the mono sound (I couldn't afford 2 of them).   And there's no problem with bass volume or tone (not to my ears, anyway )-- no subwoofer needed.

But there was an unforeseen side-effect -- see here:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2126053/PX-350%20+%20EV%20ZXA1%20Monitor%20--%20No.html

I think the same thing would happen with studio monitors, if you run them at "live-acoustic-piano" sound levels.

.                         Charles

PS -- I bought the ZXA1 used, from Guitar Center.  They shipped it from New York to Washington State, and I drove across the border to pick it up.  No problems at all.

• 3 months later...

A little over a year ago I bought the 330.  Two months later I bought the 350.  I have many questions and just joined this forum today, so you'll be hearing more from me soon.

I love the feel of the instrument.  It feels and sounds like an acoustic piano.  I have made several recordings - some just piano and some with accompaniment, which I play at work (I'm a bartender).  My customers cannot believe that this is a digital piano and is light enough to carry.  I have it mounted on the optional furniture stand with the 3-pedal board.

I think the user manual could use some improvement; a comprehensive index would be a logical first step.

I think the thing that I most like is the ability to edit the programmed rhythms.  There are certain rhythm settings I prefer, i.e., Slow Swing and Bossa Nova, that I like to apply to various songs.  The ability to edit the rhythms makes my recordings sound less automated and allows me to tailor the instrumentation to the mood I'm trying to create in a particular song.

Am I satisfied with my PX-350?  Absolutely.  I had not played a piano of any kind for at least 25 years (I'm  60).  I feel like I did as a teenager when I was in a rock band.

As I said, you'll be hearing more from me soon.  I have many, many questions, particularly regarding MIDI functions.  I use the 350 alone or connected to a PC running Mixcraft 6 DAW.  I'll post a recording made with the 350 soon.

Steve

• 1 month later...

I agree with previous posts-most realistic digital piano I've ever played. From pp to ff dynamic range and control is really good. Extremely balanced feel and sound across the octaves, very important IMO. The built-in speakers are not good, yes way to muffled even with brightness control all the way up. Don't do the sounds justice. Wish there was a way to modify or replace these. I'll check the outputs to see if the impedance is really line level or more like headphone impedance which wouldn't be good-could introduce distortion and not as clear a sound if not real line-level, haven't checked yet. The light weight chassis combined with the killer action and reasonably long-throw keys is pretty amazing. Makes my old RG-200 feel primitive, as well as the other Fatar-based actions I've played. This is much better. Plastic chassis seems fragile for constant road use, but certainly rigid enough to provide a solid base for my pretty heavy two-fisted playing, at least for now. Time will tell. Love the textured keys, definitely feel nice. And accidentals are just about the right width, many keyboards make these too narrow, these are just about right. And so far, no finger or wrist fatigue. Makes me want to play it without having to compensate for an inaccurate response. The sound through AKG headphones is incredible. Great job Casio, and the reviews were very helpful in picking this one out.

I own one and I really Like it and what stands out is what bang you get for your buck.

The piano sounds are great as are the EP`s ( better than my £5K Clavinova ) plus it acts as an arranger keyboard too.

128 note Polyphony you don't even get that on a Mox8 , only weighs 24ilbs so brilliant for gigging.

If this had Roland /Yamaha/Korg etc on the back it would easily cost 3 times the price and Musicians would be snapping them up and ranting and raving about them on all the forums.

Its also very easy to use unlike some Yamaha's where you need a degree in Quantum Physics to store a setting to a bank.

But there are a few things I don't like about it.. I also owned a PX-330 prior to this and one of the biggest complaints was that the Privia is marketed as a stage piano, yet you cant see a darn thing in low light on stage, I have to use a clip on goose neck lamp, you can easily press the wrong button ie Synchro End rather than Variation, all rather embarrassing if playing live.

I really thought Casio would have addressed this issue on the PX-350 after all, how expensive would it have been to put illuminous transfers on ?

There is also no feature to change key of midi files, seeing I can get a midi player for free that does this job on my ipod again Casio could have easily and cheaply included this feature.

I would have liked to have seen the ability to play MP3 tracks through the USB stick, the only way to do this is to convert them back to WAV files then name them Take01 to Take99, you need to catalogue or list each track on paper so you now what's what.

The speakers sound muffled to me when playing with the on board Accomps but sound great through an external amp like my Peavey KB60.

A button so you could layer tones on the fly would have also been a great feature.

But hey for the money its one hell of a set up and I am sure before too long you will see bands live at Glastonbury using them live in their sets..Then you will really see them take off .

Sir, i' ve recently bought this keyboard and i like it. the weighted keys simulate the acoustic piano and the sound is very piano like. one complain though is the reverb effect, it does not reverb or the sound is still the same. have you experience the same thing?

I will check out the reverb options this weekend. Just got it my self a few days ago, still studying options, going through functions. Page 12 in the manual describes selecting reverb types or turning it off completely. Like many digital pianos and unlike full keyboard workstations, there seems to be no way to control or fine-tune the amount of reverb or chorus, it looks like either on or off for any sound. But I may be missing something, again I'm just learning this one myself. Playing live, I generally use no reverb or other settings which only tend to muddy things up in a live venue. Most live clubs and stages have so much reverb and other murderous reflections, especially for me the keyboard player who can get lost in the mix very easily,  the cleaner I can keep my sounds the better. In a mix when recording with keyboard workstations or direct-to-digital, again the less reverb the better IMO. I'm thinking the PX will be similar, but this again is based on my musical "ears" and subjective point of view. Hope this helps.

I'm curious about the reverb on the 350 as well.   I attempted to answer this question by scanning through the pdf manual but there doesn't seem to be any indication of way to adjust reverb depth on this model. There is a way to do it for the pattern sequencer parts but not the tones. It may be possible to control reverb depth over midi if one knows a bit about it.  I don't.  :)