Love this keyboard

I'm afraid I had to look up who Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis was,

not very with it these days but I found they were very good indeed.

I have been trying to copy in 'logic' what I do on the casio

only to find that the limitation on the casio is in fact an advantage.

i.e. the writing of the phrases and drum patterns are easier on the casio

and have a  timing  sweeter effect.

I'm afraid I had to look up who Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis was,

not very with it these days but I found they were very good indeed.

Yes they were "the" go-to producers of the day - much like Dr. Luke is today and Timbaland was a 5-7 years ago  Seems every few years and really hot producer comes out that just churns out a boatload of hits when  most are lucky to get one.

• Like 1

New kids on the block these days include Jordan Rudess (That Guy with the beard?) and a prog rock band out of Poland called Riverside.  Also a band called IQ and Porcupine Tree.

But plenty of the old standards are still around and releasing new stuff as well.

Jean Michel Jarre, Herbie Hancock, Steve Winwood, Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson, Eumir Deodato, Klaus Doldinger, Peter Gabriel, Kerry Minnear, John Tout, Stevie Wonder... etc...

All of them are still out there still performing old stuff as well as new...

Hell, even Paul McCartney's dropped his bass and tickled the ivories in a few recent performances.

Honest to god the world is just LOUSY with talent these days. :D

Add to that all the brilliant unknowns out there on Soundcloud and Youtube and there's more music around these days than a person can listen to in a lifetime. :D

I have had this problem.....to use my big word...dichotomy all from my teens

Dark side.....bright side

Rock music......country music........jazz.......or just mine

Every time I joined a "good" band ,they were into drugs or just bad guys

and every time I joined a band with nice guys they were useless musicians

Even the last blues band I was with,the leader stole from me,not a lot but it was the principle.

I would rather be a cleaner than work in a not nice band.

Lonnie Donegan rang me to join his band but I said no,

Freddy Star offered me avery well paid tour but he was very rude...............some might say this is life,it is,but not mine.

The bands I hear now don't sound as good as they used to E,L P.....Yes .Ray Charles,Louis Jordon.

When they hit the scene, they were NEW and exciting.

What is great for some can sound rubbish to others but we live in a "relative" democracy.

So if anybody knows of a genuine new band around I would love to hear them but thank you Happy rat but because I was here first time around it just sounds like a copy.SORRY !......to me that is.Your right, I do like Herbie Hancock.

Jordan Rudess gives me a pain in my brain.

It must be hard to be humble,when your perfect in every way.

He can't wait to look in the mirror,he gets better lookin' each day.

But sometimes the music,yes the music,just speaks.......and has something to say

• Like 2

I have no problem with drug addicts.  Some of my best friends growing up were some pretty heavy hitters. ;)

That being said, nowadays I wouldn't let a junkie LOOK at my equipment, much less jam with him.  :D

We get older, things change, times change, music changes.

Nowadays who the hell needs a band?  Correct me if I'm wrong but Deadmaus consists of two guys and a stage full of electronics.

Jean Michel Jarre only brings an orchestra along for show but the reality is he'd be comfortable performing as a solo act these days.

Then again if yer into R&B and Soul and C&W and Jazz or even straight up Rock N Roll then broken people pretty much come with the territory. :(

More musicians get their inspiration from the bottom of a bottle or a bong these days than from a refreshing 10K run. :P

I agree that Jordan Rudess would probably drive me up a wall as a prison cellmate, but you can't deny the man knows his gear and has fingers like a staccato machine gun. :D

I can enjoy his albums without having to bask in his ego ;)

Keep looking for "good" musicians to play with though.  As we all get older we all become a little mellower and a bit wiser.

If ya play with kids you'll get burned for sure.

Myself, I only do it for a hobby.  Sure some people say my stuff induces vomiting but others say it shows promise.

It's not only a huge world of musicians out there but also a huge audience of varying tastes and styles.

If I managed to somehow fill a niche, then I don't feel half bad about it. ;)

Gary ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Gary,

Its lovely to hear it as it is.

Sure as you get older and all the young were talking about fun and freedom

it was usually as the expense of others.

About good keyboard players,you need technique,but the main thing is the music.with just technique the music sounds empty.

If ever I had money I would to meet everyone in the forum one big day or Casio could have a big promotion in the UK but I can dream,can't I.

When I heard about the Px5-s at first I went to buy one but the casio dealer hadn't even heard of one and thought I got it wrong

but because of what I heard it could do, I bought it.

It is only now that it is all coming together

First the drums which was not easy

then the bass

but now I got the guitar playing along

Great keyboard

Love it 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi Hugh

Just saw this post.  I am sure you will be impressed - my brother-in-law used to fix Lonnie Donegan's car before he became famous with 'Rock Island Line', Lonnie that is, not my brother-in law!  I understood that Lonnie sold the rights of RILine for a very low sum when he was skint.

BrianH