Video Files on Forum ×

Organ on XW-G1

powertrader

I want to use the rotary DSP on the XW-G1. I have worked hard to eliminate almost all outboard pedals from my stage rig. I can see in the edit screen that there are 2 speeds and the "spin up time" and "spin down time" are adjustable. But for the life of me I can't figure out how to change the speed while I am playing. It isn't in the manual that I got. Nor has that been included in any of the videos that I have watched. I am beginning to think that the stuff is there but you just can't use it.

Stephe

Hi Stephe

You can assign any DSP parameter to any of the assignable knobs within a performance via the controllers sub-menu, then all you have to do is turn the knob to make the change in real time. So, for example, you could assign K1 to CC19:General 4 and if you turn K1 to the left the rotary brake parameter is set to "rotate" and if you turn K1 to the right the rotary break parameter is set to "stop". Or you could use one of the preset rotary DSPs with the brake parameter already set to "rotate"  and the speed parameter (parameter 3) already set to "fast" and assign parameter 8 ("fast rate"/CC83:General 8) to K1, then you can dial in the exact rotary speed you want using K1, even a speed which would be considered slow. This is how I did it in the G1 drawbar pak I uploaded to this forum, except I used K4 instead of K1.

Spin up time, rise acceleration, is rotary parameter 6, CC81; and spin down time is rotary parameter 5, fall acceleration, CC80. Some of this information is admittedly buried in midi implementation document that can be downloaded from the Casio website.

The multifunction key system on the G1 can also be used to send midi CC messages with specific values. So you could sacrifice a few keys at the top of the keyboard to function as switches for your rotary effect. One key could toggle the rotary DSP on and off, the second could send CC19 with a value of 0 to set the rotary to "rotate" and a third could send CC19 with a value of 127 to set the rotary to "stop". Thus you could quickly switch the rotary on and off, fast and slow with the touch of a key. Or you could control the effect using a combination of knobs and keys; many other configurations are possible.

I hope this helps.

• Like 6