'No Media' and 'No File' messages

cdrose7823

I've been trying to update the firmware on my six month old Privia PX-5S but I'm not having any luck. Here's the situation:

I tried turning the piano on and I get flashing lights on the right side while the message screen says 'No Media'. I saw on a previous post that I should update the firmware in this situation by putting in a USB with the update.bin file into the PX-5S before startup. I tried that (while going through the steps in the additional manual for the updating firmware). I put the USB in, then plugged the piano in, and then pressed on. The lights on the right flash once and then the screen says updating. After about 6 seconds the screen says 'No File' and the lights on the right all start flashing except for the light above the '1' button. I've tried using two different USB sticks, both formatted to FAT32, and having the update.bin file be the only thing inside of the USB. I've tried re-downloading the update file but still no luck. Before I had the problem starting up my PX-5S, I would try updating the firmware by going to the system settings and doing it that way. I would get the 'No File' message while doing it that way too. Now I can't turn on the PX-5s without getting an error message. Any advice?

Plug the thumb drive, with the firmware, into the PX-5s and then power on the keyboard.  It should automatically load the firmware. 

We have had success with correcting the NO MEDIA error with this method many times.  

If that does not do it, the keyboard will need to be serviced.  

It's also worth noting that we have had cases where thumb drives simply did not like the PX-5s.  I know you have tried 2 already.

It might be worth a shot to try a third thumb drive. 

• 3 months later...

I just got the "error-no media" thing today 20 MINUTES before I was supposed to play for a wedding!  AHHHHH!  It was the worst experience, I just ruined a Bride's day.

I just did the firmware update.  But if this message comes up again, is there ANYTHING I can do to get the thing to play?  I would have gladly wiped it to factory settings if I could have got it to play.  

David Shoff

• 1 month later...

I just got the "error-no media" thing today 20 MINUTES before I was supposed to play for a wedding!  AHHHHH!  It was the worst experience, I just ruined a Bride's day.

I just did the firmware update.  But if this message comes up again, is there ANYTHING I can do to get the thing to play?  I would have gladly wiped it to factory settings if I could have got it to play.  

I had the same issue at a wedding I played in May as well! Luckily, I use a two board rig so I was able to get by on the other board. On any "important" gig, I think you have to have some kind of backup plan in case whatever board you have fails, gets dropped, gets something spilled into it, whatever. If you don't want to set up two boards, have a cheap little something in the car you can pull out in an emergency.

As for the PX-5S, now I don't travel with it without taking along the USB stick with the firmware, just in case it happens again. If it does, at least I'll know I can be up and running again in a few minutes.

I haven't heard of this happening after the latest FW has been installed.

I know that I had updated to at least 1.10 before having the error (maybe higher, but I know it had to be at least 1.10 because I had to update to at least that to load the sounds I wanted to load). And based on the earlier thread at http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4427-no-media-error-on-bootup/ even 1.10 should be new enough to fix the problem, so yes, it happened to me after installing the updated fw. However maybe you mean that once the error occurs, installing the FW should fix it for good, and the fact that I updated the FW before the error occurred doesn't "count" and doesn't necessarily prevent the problem from happening? i.e. updating the software prophylactically won't work, you can't really "fix" it until after it happens to you?

In general, USB drives are much more fragile than one might imagine.  The file system on them can get corrupted in a heartbeat.  The biggest culprit is the user pulling the drive out of a piece of hardware without it being properly released.  The PX-5s is hardware and if one pulls the drive out while the Px-5s media options are engaged in some manner (maybe you just loaded an all file, maybe you just played a tune, and haven't gotten out of media mode yet).  I had a few USB drives failing until I started only removing the drive or inserting it when the power was off.  Static electricity - another huge factor.  Did I just put an uncovered thumb drive in the pocket of my wool jacket?

How does this relate to the "No Media" message?  Well, let's say the USB has been corrupted, but not enough that the OS can't read it.  There are bad blocks that you are unaware of and you've saved files that you want to load onto your PX-5s on this not so perfect USB.  Little do you realize that the files transferred into the PX-5s are corrupt and write bad stuff to the keyboard's memory.

So taking it back to installing the latest firmware: If you have a clean install of the firmware and initialize the keyboard to the factory state, then you should be good to go software wise.  if you are as sure as you can be that you have a good working USB, and you've been careful how you insert it or remove it from hardware devices, then the sounds you load or save should be good and corruption free.

If after updating, being careful, having a properly formatted drive, having files in the right folders with the proper naming conventions, etc. you are still getting the unexplained no media message, your board likely has a hardware problem instead of a software problem and may need service.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

After 2 years I am finally exploring my Priva Px-5s. I tried to download the firmware update . Right now I am at 1.00 and I believe I want to update to 1.11. I tried 3 different brand new USB drives. I formatted each one. I placed the downloaded file into Music data on my PC.& then loaded onto my thumb drive. The message I continue to get is No -File ---No -Media. So i am still at 1.00. I tried placing the thumb drive in & powering up. Is there something else I can try? I am able to do other things with the thumb drive like audio files. Thank you .