Video Files on Forum ×

PX-350m - Intermittent USB midi problem

spoonbadger

Hi all, 

The USB midi port on my PX-350m seems to work only intermittently. I've tried various different USB ports, both 2.0 and 3.0. I've tried in Windows and Linux. I've tried every permutation of turning the piano on before my computer, computer before piano, plugging in the USB cable only after booting etc. etc.

I've seen it work for definite in Linux twice so far. Both times in a USB3.0 slot. Once when I booted my computer with the piano turned on and plugged in, once when I turned the piano on after I had booted into my OS. Neither time required any additional drivers etc. (as makes sense, class compliant). It also registered itself correctly with Windows 8.1 once ("CASIO-USB-MIDI" or whatever the correct name is, showing up in device manager). These are only 3 out of maybe 20 times I've tried so far.

My linux distro is Mint 17.1, my motherboard is an asus P8Z77-V PRO. 

Anyone experienced anything like this before? I'm not having any other USB issues with my computer so I'm inclined to believe it is the piano that is acting weirdly. Is there some specific voodoo that I need to perform before I try to connect?

Thanks,

- Kieran

Tried it on a different computer just now, also running Linux Mint. The keyboard showed itself correctly first time. I tried turning it off and on again and after the first time it didn't register.

After that, I tried it in my desktop again, and so far it has registered itself correctly consistently after a few times of turning the keyboard on and off. 

I don't have a different cable to hand, and I figured if it was working at all the cable probably isn't at fault. Maybe the cable is the problem, and moving it is dislodging some frayed wire inside? 

Everything seems to be working for the moment. Next time it breaks I'll grab a new USB cable and see if it helps. Cheers!

sorry Scott-bumping in again!

But I just posted something the other day about this specifically which may or may not solve your problem and was not clear to me even after studying the manual. Do you keep the thumb drive plugged in? I was having the same weird problems until I checked the manual and accidentally discovered a small reference (not stated very clearly) that the thumb drive needs to be disconnected for the USB port to work! Page E-55 in fine print states-"You will not be able to transfer data between the digital piano and a computer while a USB flash drive is in the USB flash drive port.....etc" I tried it and wham, problem solved  Like you, my software intermittently would send data or not-trying to record to a software midi sequencer sometimes worked sometimes didn't. Even with Midiox I could make no sense of it-what threw me was that it would sometimes connect and work with the thumb drive connected even though it's not supposed to. I think that happened because there is a menu item under "function" that allows for disconnecting the thumb drive electronically without removing it-i forget what that menu item is-somethng to do with mounting and unmounting the thumb drive. I was thinking this procedure was only needed for transferring files already on the thumb drive-styles, songs etc.

I knew I could not see the contents of the thumb drive from the computer while it was installed in the PX350 but I overlooked the fact that this also interferes with real-time use-using the PX350 as a controller but it does on mine. Hope this solves your problem.