Zones, Tones and Dual DSPs

BrettM

I thought some of you may be interested in one of my failed experiments...

Having noticed that DSP settings seem to be stored in tones, that is, if you edit a PCM tone with a specific DSP and change some of those DSP parameters, then the values are retained by the tone; I wondered whether I could get two DSPs to work in a performance, even though only one is supposed to be available.

The idea would be to use one of the dual DSPs and create two user tones, both using the same dual DSP, but have one of the tones switch off half the DSP and the other tone switch off the other half of the DSP. For example, using the compressor-distortion DSP which has compressor parameters threshold and level and distortion parameters gain and level, one of the tones could set the compressor threshold to 127, thus disabling the compressor effect and the other tone could set the distortion gain to 0, thus disabling the distortion effect. The same DSP is being used as distortion only in the first tone and as a compressor only in the second tone. The question is: if these two tones were then assigned to zones 1 and 2 in a performance, would I have a performance with effectively two DSPs operating?

Alas it doesn't work that way. The parameter values of the first zone take precedence and are applied to the second zone. I was hoping that different parameters might be remembered from the tones given that the same DSP was being assigned as the overall performance effect.

Even when zones 2 and 3 are used, with zone 1 set to off, the same thing happens: zone 2's parameters take precedence over zone 3. An interesting side note of this last set up is that zone 2 does not have "DSP" showing on screen in the performance menu or the mixer screen, in spite of what it says in the manual. "DSP" appears only if a DSP is enable for zone 1.

Nevertheless, I really like some of the dual DSPs.

• Like 2