REALISTIC Leslie effect

dlm

I tried asking this on Facebook, but all I got was "likes" & no answers...

So, I'll ask here...

Is the only way to get a realistic Leslie effect by using an after market burn or neo vent pedal, or COULD THIS be achieved with a new firmware update? (I haven't been able to get the chorus/vibrato effect close enough to give the proper simulation).

I am just curious...

It's hard to say if the included rotary speaker effect in the PX-5S could be improved. Only the people at Casio know what can be done with it, especially via a firmware update.

BTW, on organ, chorus/vibrato and rotary speaker effect are two different things, but you knew that, right? :) (Hammond created the C/V to eliminate the need for the Leslie speaker, which Laurens Hammond hated, but instead they just created another effect people put to use and used with Leslie speakers.)

You could keep an eye out for a used Burn or Vent, which can be had a bit cheaper than new. That's how I got my Burn.

• Like 1

We saw your question in the facebook group.  There are answers there.  

My answer, as I see it....in short...NO.  DSP is limited to the hardware's power.  I'm sure Casio engineer's have pushed the hardware to the limit already.  

Also, I feel like the PX-5s is a sealed deal now.  Keep in mind, this is the first Casio keyboard to receive so many updates and only the second model (XW series was first) to have firmware updating as a function.   We are lucky to get what we got for what we did.  

• Like 1

Joe....yes I know chorus/vibrato is different than the rotary effect...I was just saying that I have tried using All effects to try to get SOMETHING CLOSE to the Leslie effect, including the chorus/ vibrato... I will keep watching for a used pedal like you suggested (unless I run across a huge bucket of money somewhere! :-) )

• 1 year later...

I have been struggling with the same thing dlm.  Interesting comment gjasko, I am going to play around with that this evening.  On another note, i am curious if anyone using the Neo Vent or GSI Burn has any comments on how it colors your tone for say AP's when you are running through bypass.  I see the Burn is a digital bypass and Vent claims true bypass.  I am wondering what other's have experienced.  In one band I only use the PX-5S as we usually do shorter gigs and I want to avoid bringing a second board for limited organ play.

Well the PX-5S is a sample player so right off the bat it's going to have that going against it. Then there is the fact that the effects are "clean" so there's that. But please keep in mind that despite all of these "limitations:", as soon as I dial up my organ sound on the PX-5S, not one person says it doesn't sound like an organ and not only that, they say it's sounds like a B3 - despite all the limitations. Yes, it's not going to be like my Kronos or Nord C, but for organ sounds - hey not bad!

Somehow I missed this thread the first time around!  My only comment is, for whatever reason, getting the authentic Leslie sound nailed is not a cheap endeavor. Many organ die-hards that use the Hammond clonewheels aren't even satisfied with the on-board DSP Leslie effects and add a Vent to their rig to get *the* sound. My advice for anyone looking to achieve *that* sound is to get a Vent - but you can certainly get close enough using on-board effects or other pedals. 

• Like 1

Until recently I was running the right output of my PX-5S though a Neo Ventilator II so I could have split settings with mono piano on the left and B3 on the right, This sounded great, and there doesn't seem to be any loss of tone when running piano though the Vent in bypass mode. I decided I wanted stereo piano and organ available at all times, so I've now bought a Yamaha Reface YC: 37 mini-keys with excellent Hammond/Vox/Farfisa/etc tones and nine drawbars. The Reface YC's Leslie emulation is decent enough (better than the PX-5S) that I can leave the Vent home for casual gigs. Also, the Reface YC sits quite nicely on the right side of my PX-5S over the battery compartment, so I don't need a double tier stand.

• 3 months later...