Video Files on Forum ×

Some advice for setting up my gear?

Halion76

Hi folks,

Hoping for a bit of advice for setting up some equipment.  I'm not "great" with midi and I'm not sure if I'll need to buy a midi merge unit.  Below is what I have and what I'm wanting to do........any advice would be really appreciated.

Casio Privia PX5S - stage piano - I want to record audio from this to Cubase AND use it as a controller.

Yamaha Mox6 - I want to record audio from this to cubase AND use it as a controller.  However, I also want this midi'd up to the PX5S so I can use the keybed of the Casio to control the sounds from the MOX on occasion.

Have a NI Komplete 6 soundcard.

As I said, any help would be great and if I am missing something that would allow me to do what I want any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Hello,

If you want to record the audio from both keyboards, I recommend a mixer or if you are using cubase, record one at a time on it's own track.  I assume you would be recording in stereo from each keyboard.  If you are not recording, then you could run the lines out of the Yamaha into the input of the PX then have all of the output going from the PX.  There's a noise gate issue with the Px that will cut off at low volumes on the exernal inputs, that's why I'd avoid this method for recording - but for playing live, it shouldn't be as big a worry.

Midi wise, what do you want to control?  You want each keyboard as a controller - what is it you want to control?  Midi, in general is one way.  You have a master and an ultimate slave in theory.  Midi thru can chain a series of slaves together, but the final connection is into a  single Midi in.    

It sounds like you want each keyboard to control the other keyboard and control cubase.  

Hi, thanks for replying.

I'm basically wanting to record audio from the PX5S and the MOX.  So with the NI Komplete 6 only having one stereo in I'll have to connect one of my small mixers up again.  So that's fine.

I have also just connected both the PX5S and the MOX to my PC via USB.  I can then decide in the midi track in cubase which one I want to control that particular VST - so again, that's fine and I have that all sorted.

My only problem is with connecting the PX5S and the MOX to each other via (old style) midi.  I have connected the OUT of the PX5S to the IN of the MOX.  Initially this was working fine and no problem.  But rather randomly I was getting a "midi error" message on the screen of my MOX last night and I couldn't control it from the PX5S anymore.  Strange!!

Ok, the 5 pin MIDI out from the PX can either transmit what you play on the keyboard, what it receives from the USB, or what it receives from the 5 pin MIDI in.  It can't do any of them at the same time.  If you want to send what you play from the PX to the MOX

[sys Settings] > MIDI > Midi Out [KEY]

Assumingly, you've connected the USB from each of the keyboards independently to your PC.  From the [sys Settings] menu, make sure USB is set to Keyboard.

Make sure on the MOX, what you are receiving from the Midi in of the PX isn't being looped back to the Midi out, or you'll get a feedback or doubling.

This should allow you to use each keyboard as a controller that will independently control the VST and the other keyboard.  What this setup will not do, at least from the PX side, is receive a program change or controller command from the MOX and transmit that to the PC.  The keyboard events and received midi messages are not merged.

• Like 1

OK.........so back at the keyboards now and I can use both as a VST controller (what I want) but have lost the ability to use the PX5S as a controller for the MOX.  When I remove the USB from the MOX/PC the PX5S once again kicks in and controls the MOX.  So is that what you're basically saying Chopin?  I can't do both?

It's strange that by unplugging it (USB) the functionality resumes.  Maybe on the PC it's having a hard time determining which USB midi to use.  Lets try a more complex mapping that only utilizes 1 USB input.

Let's look at it just from the PX side sending its info out.  The first thing under [sys Settings], is to set the Midi Out to Key, and the USB out to Key.  These are two settings.  Midi Out in the menu doesn't refer to general midi data going out, it actually is the 5 pin connector.  So you have to set both this and the USB to Key.  Cable wise:

PX-5s 5 pin MIDI out -->  MOX 5 pin MIDI in

PX-5S USB --> Computer USB

The above allows you to play on the PX and control the VST and the MOX.

Now let's look at a complex possibility from the MOX side:

MOX 5 pin MIDI out --> NI Komplete 5 pin MIDI in --> Computer Virtual midi splitter/router/virtual ports (like Midi Ox/Midi yoke or something)

After assigning the input from the MOX to virtual ports on the computer, route the ports to the VST and to the MIDI out of the Komplete:

Virtual ports --> NI Komplete MIDI out --> PX-5s 5 pin MIDI in.

In my mind, this should work.  Essentially allowing you to control the MOX and the VST from the PX with direct cable inputs, and allowing you to control the PX and the VST from the MOX using direct cable and virtual port rerouting with help from the midi I/O on your sound module.

It's not too bad.  Only if you get into the deep stuff might you have some troubles.  You'll want Midi yoke - that allows you to set up to 8 virtual midi ports I believe.  Midi Ox allows you to assign the actual and virtual ports however you want.

Cubase should be able to recognize the virtual ports as well.  This is all assuming you are using a windows based computer.

It's not too bad.  Only if you get into the deep stuff might you have some troubles.  You'll want Midi yoke - that allows you to set up to 8 virtual midi ports I believe.  Midi Ox allows you to assign the actual and virtual ports however you want.

Cubase should be able to recognize the virtual ports as well.  This is all assuming you are using a windows based computer.

Hi, it turns out that the MOX6 can't have USB midi and 5pin midi transmitting at the same time.  A quick change in the settings allows me to determine which one I want, so everything is fine now!!

• Like 1