Video Files on Forum ×

The WK-7500 is brilliant, except for one glaring oversight

I recently purchased a WK-7500 as a birthday present to myself and I'm absolutely loving it. I love the sounds, the effects, the sequencers, and the drawbar organ is a hoot to fool around with too!

I do miss the kinds of evocative sounds that can be created with a synthesizer. Therefore I decided to pull out some of my older synthesizers, knowing that I could amplify these keyboards through the WK-7500's speakers.

What's terribly frustrating is not being able to connect two keyboards together over MIDI because the WK-7500 has no standard MIDI ports. The WK-7500 could be the hub to drive, sequence and amplify all sorts of MIDI gear but is hampered by this glaring oversight.

I understand that a USB port allows MIDI to flow between the WK-7500 and a computer. If I choose to not dedicate a computer or iPad to my setup, I would need an expensive adaptor like an iConnectMidi to connect two keyboards together. I was even considering purchasing an XW-P1, but again the lack of standard MIDI ports makes that a much more difficult purchase to justify.

Please don't get me wrong. I really do love the WK-7500 but the addition of standard MIDI ports could have made this keyboard much more expandable and powerful. I don't regret my purchase because even as it is, I know I'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it!

Pierre Fontaine

pierrefontaine.webs.com

• Like 3

First of all, the XW-P1 has standard MIDI OUT and MIDI IN ports as well as USB.

Secondly, it is possible to use a USB MIDI connection as a controller for other keyboards with the right software. I use my Korg TR as a controller for all my other synths and they are all hooked up thru USB to my Linux computer running a very very old version of Cakewalk Home Studio. No other hardware or software is required.

I dunno if you are using a software DAW on your computer or not, but I'd advise doing a lot more digging into your hardware and software before making blanket statements of what it is and is not capable of.

Also if you are not already using some form of DAW or computer sequencer for your music I'd heartily recommend getting one so that you can fully exploit your WK's and other synths' abilities without trying to sequence on the built in sequencer. Built in sequencers are seriously such a heartbreak to work with when compared to some of the computer and tablet based software out there.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply.

I am aware that the XW-P1 has standard MIDI ports as well as USB MIDI (the wording in my original post was sloppy) but I still wouldn't be able to connect it to the WK-7500 in any meaningful way without the use of a computer and a USB MIDI cable, or a device like iConnectMIdi.

Of course, you are correct that using DAW software is preferable to the WK-7500's pattern or song sequencer. I use Cakewalk Music Creator all the time. However, one of the reasons I wanted the WK-7500 was the flexibility it provides me to play and compose without having to boot up a computer, then start the DAW software, then open a project file and so forth. I like the idea of just turning on the WK-7500 and playing, then I can record something immediately if inspiration strikes. I know that that I could then save the MIDI file to the SD card and open it on my computer for further editing but I'm imagining something a bit more streamlined in its workflow.

My ultimate point is that standard MIDI in and out ports would have greatly expanded the usefulness of this keyboard, and I suspect for not much more money. Again, it's a fantastic keyboard and an enormous bargain and I really am very happy with it. I'm suggesting that in the future standard MIDI ports could be included once again in consumer-level Casio keyboards, especially their top of the line models.

Thanks as always for taking the time to respond to my post.

Pierre

Edited by pfontaine2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

If your runnig a pc install musiclab midi device connection center from musiclab.com its FREE (yes we like free) and you can select it 4 ins and 4 outs. So if you want your keyboard to output its rythms to another tone module / keyboard just select MIDI ins CASIO USB-MIDI connect to DEVICE (will have name of device).

Works great on my setup.

• Like 2

Many thanks, Simon for that musiclab.com tip.  Their MIDI Connection Center is a must have for anyone wanting to connect a "USB only" keyboard to other MIDI devices, but their MIDI Loop Cakewalk plug-in should also be of interest to several folks here on the forum who were discussing DAW loop creation in another thread several months ago.

If your runnig a pc install musiclab midi device connection center from musiclab.com its FREE (yes we like free) and you can select it 4 ins and 4 outs. So if you want your keyboard to output its rythms to another tone module / keyboard just select MIDI ins CASIO USB-MIDI connect to DEVICE (will have name of device).

Works great on my setup.

I'll try it nex week many thanks for the info!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...