CTK-7200 – Create your very own rhythms/accompaniments

Larsgmb

I hope I’ve bought the proper keyboard now, to be delivered in about 5 days.

Hopefully some could give me a hint.

My intention is to create my very own rhythms. Not just rearranging built-in accompaniments, like my previous CTK-5000 could..

Is it possible to record own played bass, chords, etc for a short period, and then the CTK-7200 could quantify it (repeat/loop it) for a whole played song?

(I’ve read the manual for Pattern Sequencer but didn’t saw it clearly)

/Thanks a lot

Lars

Lars

Welcome to the Casio Music Forums !

Yes !  With the CTK-7000/7200 or WK-7500/7600 you are headed down the right track, especially since you are willing to "play" your rhythm parts into the keyboard as opposed to "step" entry or MIDI importation, neither of which is supported by the Pattern Sequencer.  While the Song Sequencer supports step entry, it can not be used for the creation of rhythm patterns.  This is a feature reserved solely for the Pattern Sequencer.  See the following video tutorial by Casio's Mike Martin on use of the Pattern Sequencer for generating a User Rhythm.  He makes a fairly simple rhythm, but it does show the capabilities.  It is for the CTK-7000/WK-7500, but everything he shows is equally applicable to the CTK-7200/WK-7600:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVdFRBmNID4

In addition, the above keyboards will allow editing/modifying existing rhythms, just like your CTK-5000, but the editing capabilities go a little deeper than the 5000's.

Best of luck with your endeavors and enjoy !

Lars

I hope you are still monitoring this thread.  I thought you might be interested in the video links in this thread.  Just the videos in the first post in the thread are for the CTK-7000/7200 and WK-7500/7600.  All the other videos in the thread are for the XW's, but they are interesting as well.  In the very first link, I thought it was interesting that he enters the first parts of his pattern at a normal tempo, then slows it so he can enter a difficult phrase at a slower speed, then returns to the original tempo to enter the rest of the parts.  I don't think I would have ever thought of that.  I would have just struggled with the normal speed.

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/6033-exploiting-the-ctk-7000-pattern-sequencer-to-make-hip-hop-beats/

Definitely interesting. ~2:30 into the first video he slows it down.

I have a lot of things to discover. :) 

A completely different question is if it’s easy to change tempo or perhaps silence the accompaniment for a period during performance.

But I think I should put my questions on hold until I get the CTK-7200 ;) 

Just one thing puzzles me.

I seem to be an exception wanting to make my very own accompaniments.

Most keyboards don’t have such feature, only lots of built-in styles. Not only Casio, but e.g. Yamaha as well.

And people seems happy with that.

And your previous comment Ted, that “I’m willing to play my rhythm parts into the keyboard”, suggests it’s not a very common desire.

Isn't that the idea with musical instruments, to perform your own music? 

Lars

I think many would-be rhythm designers have the necessary musical knowledge, but when faced with the necessity of getting something exactly right, tend to freeze up and make errors - something you definitely do not want when designing a rhythm.  Those individuals (myself included) usually prefer a hardware drum machine or beat-box type of entry as on the XW-P1, or they may prefer doing something similar with a PC DAW or iPad app and port it to the keyboard, something which can not be done with the CTK/WK's.  The CTK/WK's require very precise real-time entry in order to generate a rhythm that sounds professional.  Creating a complex fully orchestrated rhythm that competes or compares with the professionally designed and engineered pre-set rhythms can be a very arduous and often disappointing task.  I think most keyboard owners just want to "play" their instruments in the limited time they have available and feel that tone or rhythm design would take away a good part of that time.  As this applies to performing, I would be willing to venture that Itzhak Perlman probably would not be very adept at building a violin and being a Grand Prix champion does not necessarily mean you have to be able to build a race car.  We all have our abilities.  Some more than others, so we each try to carve out or own little niche and fit comfortably into it as best we can. 

Interesting Ted.

Yes with a very limited free time I would probably also just play it.

But it’s perhaps more about expectations. I don’t have any professional ambitions. I’m satisfied if I believe it sounds good myself :)

But again, I should await its delivery. Perhaps then I also find the pattern sequencer too complicated and time consuming ;) 

Kind regards

Lars

Lars

I think you just hit the KEY word - "expectations".  Most of those who try and come away disappointed expected their rhythms to sound as good/professional as the pre-sets.  They do not realize that they do not have the tools to do anything like that.  The engineers that design those pre-set rhythms do it with software designed specifically for that.

I am beginning to wonder who is more anxious for you to get your CTK-7200 - you or me.  I am so certain that you are going to really enjoy it.  I will be sorely disappointed if you don't.  Speaking of rhythms, let me know when you get it, and I can point you to some additional rhythms for it.  There are 50 that were designed specifically for the new models, but I don't care for most of those, but there are over 100 that were for the older models that sound very good on the newer models.  They are not factory pre-sets that came on the older models, but are Casio designed additional rhythms to enhance the repertoire of the older models.

Ted.

No worries. You convinced me to 99% that I'll love it with your first word in your first reply, "Yes". :)

The 1% risk is I'll find it too complicated to understand (I have issues to understand the manual in english).

But it shouldn't be a problem with the Youtube videos.

"CTK" may stand for Portable, but I understand the parcel weight for CTK-7200 is 13 Kg (28 lbs) so I better bring my handcart to the post office when it's time to collect it. :)

Now I've got it :) Delivered all the way home, so no car(t) needed.

From the first impression I realize it got many fabulous preset rhythms. So I maybe reconsider using them instead of my own.

But checking the Pattern sequencer. And with assistance by the video above there was no issue to understand, even with quite a lot of buttons to press to get there. Then it was easy to record :)

I believe I'm in love :wub:

From the manual I've so far just read about creating new rhythms, the Pattern sequencer part.

And it's not a flow from start to end, but many references to previous and later pages.

So I wrote down a basic flow until I'll hopefully memorize the steps. Perhaps someone else will also have any use for it:

Pattern Sequencer

Creating a new own accompaniment, starting with drums:

-          Press User Rhythms

-          Press Pattern Sequencer

-          Press Record button (who will flash)

-          Press and hold the Function button + press the Menu button

-          Press the up/down buttons to toggle between Quantize, Precount Etc.

-          With Quantize chosen, turn the wheel up to e.g. 16 parts.

-          Press Exit button

-          Press the J Drums button

-          Select specific drums with the wheel.

-          Press Start button and play the looping 16 parts.

-          Press Stop button

-          Press the Exit button

-          Press the Yes button

-          Choose free saving location e.g. 001 with the wheel.

-          Press the Down button

-          Change to desired name letter with +-, press right for editing next letter.

-          Press Enter button

-          Press the right button for another instrument e.g. bass

-          Repeat the procedure from Press Record button above.

Full reference to the Pattern Sequencer, please see the manual page 102-120.

Thanks for posting this! I am new to the casio wk/ctk family since December of last year am constantly thumbing through the manual for reference on this and other topics. I plan on printing this summary for quick reference instead of flipping pages. Feel free to post more of these shortcuts. I know I will use them until I get some of these committed to memory.

You're welcome Slegnav. :)

But actually, I just wrote down from the video link provided earlier in this thread by Ted, 

Only added some elements not visible on the video.

Yes, perhaps I'll need to write down some additional summaries later.

But first I'll get to know my brand new keyboard :)

• 1 month later...

dr

Welcome to the Casio Music Forums and congratulations on the new CTK-7200.  I am certain you will get much enjoyment from it.

I am glad that you have already found the entries here useful, but you can find many more helpful videos by going to the YouTube site and searching on your keyboard's model number.  I really like videos, because they show you not only HOW to do something, but more importantly, they show you that you CAN do something.  I think there are a lot of features that go totally unused on a lot of keyboards, because their owners were never shown what they keyboard's capabilities are.  So, if you are never shown WHAT you can do, you can never know to ask HOW to do it.

Best of luck with your new keyboard !