Dave Weiser's New Piano Presets!

Kenny Ingram

Hey all! Here to show you something big for the PX-5S.

Dave Weiser, who has designed sounds for Roger Waters, David Bowie, The Who, and about every theatre show that's been on Broadway, has released a new pair of sounds for the PX-5S.

Of course, we all know him for the Vintage Keys Set he made for the PX in late 2013 (and can still be downloaded on Casio Music Forums here), but he has now come out with two brand new piano presets!

Basically, these pianos are designed for a number of different applications and genres with the purpose of being "gig-ready". Yes, meaning they sit well in your mix, without getting in the bassist's frequencies, or requiring any extra EQ from the sound guys. Where can you find them? You'll find them, and all the info you need to know on Dave's website, WeiserSound.com HERE

Also, there are some great new demos that were just put on Dave Weiser's SoundCloud, so be sure to check those out!

Looking forward to trying these out live!

• Like 1

I've had a chance to play these really quickly this afternoon and I must say I'm really impressed. The first word that comes to my mind is "thin," but I don't mean it in a bad way at all. Maybe "tight" would be a better word. They have a really nice clarity and presence. "Clarity" - that's the word I'm looking for. Even though it's suggested that you play them in a mix, with a band or a recording, I liked the way they sounded solo as well.

These will be getting a lot of use from me, and I think many of you will find them useful as well. Nice job, Dave! [this forum could use a "thumbs up" smiley]

• Like 1

The feedback so far has been extremely positive, thanks everyone! Having a blast working with sucha cool keyboard.

Anyone can feel free to send me input if there are certain sounds you'd like to see developd by a third party.

I've got a few Casio sound design projects cooking, but would love to hear directly from PX-5S owners.

weiserdav@gmail.com

• Like 4

I would like to see a sound pack of CP80!

I did create one CP80 type preset for the PX-5S, in the vintage keys set I did for Casio in 2013. (That set is a free download.)

It's called 80sPopEGrand. I didn't have samples of the real thing, so I made creative use of the piano samples and the timbre shift feature.

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4725-vintage-keys-set/

I have a CP70 here in my sound room just a few feet away from my PX. It was a gift from Jon Carin, who last played it at Live Aid in 1985 with Bryan Ferry.

Lovely instruments those CPs.

• Like 1

I'd love to hear what you could do with brass & horn section sounds. The PX's controllers going after sfz,vibrato types, etc. I just recently got in a situation where I play a lot of brass/horn/sax/sections parts and each song has its own little personality. A couple of stage sets that offer a variety of mixes and playing techniques would be cool.

"My assignment to you, Jim, should you decide to accept it........"

(Trying to quote Mission Impossible)

Regards,

Dan

Yes, Dave...I,too, would be very interested in good brass/sax stage settings that really sizzle! I'm working on my own right now, but it's not quite right...

And any improvements to (Hammond) 6/9 bar organ stage settings would be very warmly recieved, I'm sure...

Thanks,

DARIN MCNABB

Bad Axe, MI

Brass sounds, eh? Lots of flavors out there, specific examples would be helpful.

I've also received serveral requests for elec and ac basses.

Elec bass is actually one of my favorite categories to program, had a blast doing the ones in the Kurz sound set.

I'll take a look this week and see what can be done. Always nice to have an excuse to crank up the Genelecs and play the PX-5S along with tunes, especially the funky stuff.

• Like 2

Well, I know some folks on the forum have asked me to create more stage settings for Chicago tunes...I wonder if you could recreate their horn sounds on the px-5s...I have tried and failed miserably...

Maybe some thing like the "tower of power" sound... something that pops, ya knows?

• Like 1

Darin, greetings from a spirit of the days of the PX-5S past.  First, thank you for picking up the effort to create multi-sound song ready stage settings.  I've been away from my PX-5S for a couple months (I have had a PX-150 to keep me company in the meantime) but I look forward to trying them out when I get back to it.  Re trying to create a setting to capture the Chicago horns sounds, check out a thread on page 11 of this forum called "The More Perfect Horn Section".  Tried to copy a link into here but was not having any success so sorry to send you on a hunt. JJ

Brass sounds, eh? Lots of flavors out there, specific examples would be helpful.

I've also received serveral requests for elec and ac basses.

Elec bass is actually one of my favorite categories to program, had a blast doing the ones in the Kurz sound set.

I'll take a look this week and see what can be done. Always nice to have an excuse to crank up the Genelecs and play the PX-5S along with tunes, especially the funky stuff.

big +1 for the basses!

Just bought and loaded Dave's piano sounds. These are really solid and well designed. Dave's sounds are very well mapped across the entire keyboard and they are not over heavy with the bass which is really nice. They have good punch in sound.

Although I'm not currently playing in a band these days, but I know that I'll be using these when I do, especially for rock and blues.

I also took another look at some of Dave's other sounds he created for Casio and I can understand and appreciate his logic of design. Some of these sounds may lower volume. After asking Dave about this, he told me that he makes sure that these sounds won't clip, etc. when turned up. Makes sense to me. Well worth the 25 bucks.I hope to see more sounds from him in the future.

Hi Dave,

Can you publish more demo of this piano sets?

Thanks!

I'm actually hoping to have some clips of *other people* using these sounds sometime soon.

I have one clip of the Gig Piano Stage Setting being used live by the legendary Jim Alfredson, whom many of you know. Though most of the clip is a Hammond solo (that KILLS), the beginning features a few bars of the piano.

When you have a chance, go to Jim's page, check out his music and give him some love.

I caught one of Jim's live shows over the summer and was absolutely blown away!

http://jimalfredson.com/

• Like 1

Used the sounds on a gig last night and they really work well in a mix. The Gig Piano 1 was perfect for the band setup of guitar, bass and drums and cut through well without stepping on the other instruments. Can't wait for more sounds from Dave.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

Just wanted to say that I purchased Dave's new AP sounds for the Px-5s and used them at a gig last Saturday. I found myself using Gig Piano #! almost exclusively. It is fantastic in a band mix. My band has three guitar players (two electric and one acoustic) and the piano cut through all of that mid-range clutter. My bandmates were throughly impressed with both my new Px-5s and Dave's awesome programming. I had been using a Kronos 61exclusively and this is no slouch in the AP department, but my bandmates can not stop talking about how much they enjoy the sound of the Casio. I should mention that I am running mono into a single Yamaha DXR 10 speaker. The send to he house is obviously mono as well. 

I also want to commend Dave for excellent and friendly service. Ordering the sounds on Paypal was a simple process and he made me feel as if my thoughts and opinions mattered. A truly first rate experience from top to bottom. If you gig with a loud or dense music ensemble than you need these pianos. Buy them!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of putting together another small pack of sounds...

Let me know what types of sounds you're looking for. If I get enough requests in a certain area, I'll release something later this spring.

I've gotten quite a few requests for electric bass - those are fun.

One of my favorite projects for Kurz was doing some of the E bass presets for their current line-up. (Jaco, Jamerson, Bootsy Collins and Chris Squire all covered.)

I second the E bass.... Stanley Clark, Jimmy Haslip, too

How about A bass - Ron Carter, Dave Holland, Eddie Gomez, Rufus Reid, Miroslav Vitous, etc.

AP - Fazoli, Bosendorfer

EP - Chick (I know Yamaha actually sampled Chick's Rhodes and is including it, blah, blah...)

Guitar - Pat Metheny (obviously, you could have several ones there, also his guitar-synth)