Video Files on Forum ×

Naming convention

Larsgmb

I don’t know what the abbreviation CTK stands for, but have guessed WK stands for work station. Meaning they have lots of features for tweaking the sounds and accompaniments, and for that reason are more expensive than the CTK models.

But now I’ve discovered that CTK-7200 and WK-7600 share the same manual. And probably have the same features.

So why call one CTK and the other WK. Hm.

Lars

Yes !  As Gary surmised, CTK stands for Casio-Tone Keyboard, which are 61 key units that Casio considers (and lists) as "portable".  WK stands for Workstation Keyboard, which are 76 key units that Casio apparently does not consider "portable".  So, I guess they would consider the WK's as studio keyboards.  Beginning with the CTK-7000/WK-7500, the features are all the same except the CTK being 61 keys and the WK being 76 keys.  This feature pairing was carried over to the newer CTK-7200/WK-7600.  The newer units replaced the coarse 4 position slider/drawbars with the finer 9 position type (just like a real drawbar organ) and added EQ to the MIXER function.

In the models just prior to the CTK-7000/WK-7500, the WK-3300, WK-3800, and WK-8000 shared similar features (and manual).  The 3300 and 3800 were both 76 key workstations, while the WK-8000 was an 88 key home console digital piano type unit mounted on a wooden stand.  The WK-3800 and WK-8000 were equipped with SD Card slots and USB ports, while the WK-3800 also sported a 3 1/2 inch diskette drive, none of which were on the WK-3300.  My point here is that, while there may have been 61 key CTK units that shared similar features, there was no exact CTK/WK feature replication as with the newer units.  I hope, for the sake of future users, that Casio continues this pairing, as I always found it aggravating to have to trade off needed features just because you did not have space (or the back muscles) for a 76 key unit, although with the reduced weight of these new units, I think Casio is going to have to redefine "portable" as opposed to "non-portable".

PX is used for all the Privias so the "X" def. does not mean experimental. I am guessing the "X" is symbolic for the rest of the word. Technics also made a PX-1 digital piano.. I remember hearing there was some cross pollination with some Technics and Casio boards way back in day - perhaps they bought the digital technology and just kept the PX designation.  BTW - Privia mean "private" as in "private piano".