Video Files on Forum ×

Need Advice on Which Keyboard to Buy

Hello everyone!  I'd really appreciate your input here.

I am looking to buy a portable 61-key keyboard.

I am an amateur, so I don't need nice special features like "9 sliders" on the CTK7000.

However, I DO want:

*  Nice sound and volume

*  600 or more tones

*  Touch response (I think that's where if you touch the keys "quicker" the note is "louder") 

*  Sustain

I currently have a WKT 245 and I like everything about it EXCEPT it has 76 keys.

I don't want something chinsy or cheesy with lighted keys -- but I don't want to spend over $350.

Any ideas??  Help!

Lovesplaying

CTK-6200 or the CTK-7000.

They have exactly the same sounds as the WK-6500 and WK-7500 respectively.

Nothing cheezy about either one and they both come in under your budget.

But truth be told they'll only weigh a few pounds less than the WK models.

Is weight your limiting factor or is it space?

Gary ;)

BTW, just because you may not feel that you need the drawbars now, that doesn't mean that it's a bad idea to buy a more advanced keyboard than you can use now.

If you plan to keep it for any length of time at all you should leave yourself some "room to grow."

Gary

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, just because you may not feel that you need the drawbars now, that doesn't mean that it's a bad idea to buy a more advanced keyboard than you can use now.

If you plan to keep it for any length of time at all you should leave yourself some "room to grow."

Gary

Words of wisdom there.  I have the 6200, and I love it, but there are times I wish I'd saved a bit more and bought the 7200.  Those drawbars, pattern sequencer, and extra event capacity in the sequencer would be nice to have.  I honestly went with the 6200 because I wanted something that would give me some nice acoustic sounds to go along with my synths, and I wanted something on a budget.  I didn't expect to fall in love with the 6200, but I did.  It's full of very nice sounds, and the keyboard action is quite nice and very easy to play.  Had I known I was going to like it so much, I'd have sprung for the 7200.   :(  :D  The 6200 is a great board, no doubt, but the 7200 offers some serious extras.  B)

• 2 weeks later...

if you can push your budget I would recommend the wk7600, those drawbar Hammond sounds are great! it's a 76 key, the ctk version is a 61 key, that would be cheaper.

either way the same keyboard by Yamaha would cost loads more, the cheapest Yamaha with a Hammond sound is about 1300! casio isn't cool, but it's certainly value for money!