WK-3000 MIDI Driver

Thom62

I need a MIDI/USB driver for my WK-3000. Can someone tell me if the driver even exists? If so, where is it? As you can see from the details below, I have already been given the standard links that Casio tech support points me to. The links do not provide me with what I need. 

Here's the history

I am unable to use the Casio Data Manager software provided for the 3x00 series. I downloaded the software from link 1 below - the Windows XP version. It does not, however, work on my Windows XP system. Specifically, Data Manager gives a "MIDI Timeout" error in attempting to connect to the Wk-3000 via MIDI/USB cable. This would appear to be a proprietary driver issue. 

In requesting the driver from Casio tech support (phone), I was directed to link 2 below. However the instructions for the Casio USB MIDI Driver 1.2 say explicitly that the installation is an "Update" that assumes "your computer is installed with the USB driver on the CD-ROM that comes bundled with the instrument." My system did not come with a CD-ROM. The update instructions do not work. 

1) http://music.casio.com/e/data_ex2/before.html

2) http://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=20

Thanks for helpful responses. 

From what I can tell on my linux machine, the second link file is a self extracting exe file that simply extracts to whatever directory you point it at.

At that point you have the inf and sys files you need to manually install the driver using device manager from the control panel.

Use the "have disk" option and point it at the directory you extracted the inf file to.

Gary

• 1 month later...

First of all, the WK-3000 has only MIDI IN and OUT ports and NO USB PORTS!

That means it doesn't need any driver and it doesn't connect to any sort of Data Manager Software.

Your MIDISport interface works fine as it is for MIDI IN and OUT Functions.

The only thing you can use the MIDI out ports for on your computer are for playback as a MIDI Soundcard for your computer and for MIDI recording and playback to a DAW software such as Cakewalk Music Creator.

Your MIDISport should automatically be detected by Windows and a proper driver installed.  Take a look in your control panel under device manager under multimedia devices and see if it's there.  If it's there and there's no yellow warning sign then the device is installed and functioning properly.

If you are trying to send DAW data to the keyboard you have to point the DAW's output at the MIDIsport.  It may be possible to further configure the DAW to recognize the WK-3000 in order to use all the voices but it WILL NOT AUTODETECT IT.  This has to be configured manually.

Bear in mind the DAW will ONLY RECORD MIDI DATA NOT AUDIO.

To record audio from the keyboard you'll need an audio cable from the audio out on the keyboard to the audio in on your soundcard.

Gary

The IDES-2 Data Management software was designed to work with the WK-3000 via its 5-pin DIN MIDI-IN/OUT connections connected to a Roland MPU-401, or similar, AT-bus interface card in older PC's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roland_MPU-401AT.jpg

Note: IDES-3 and IDES-4 and new versions 5.X and 6.X Data Management software WILL NOT WORK WITH THE WK-3000.  IT MUST BE IDES-2.  The IDES-2 software can be downloaded from:

http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/emi/music_casio/en/wk3-20en.exe

and the IDES-2 User's Manual from:

http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/emi/music_casio/en/wk3man-20en.zip

As Gary has already said, you should not need any drivers.  That is because the only thing that needs drivers are the devices that CONNECT DIRECTLY TO THE PC.  In this case, the WK-3000 does not connect directly to the PC.  It connects to the USB-MIDI adapter.  Since the USB-MIDI adapter connects directly to the PC, it is the device that would need a driver, but if it is "Class Compliant", it will work with the driver that is already built-in to Windows and should not need any additional drivers.  However, the "Class Compliant" driver provides only limited communications buffer support and therefore does not support large file or large or complex sysex message transfers.  If you are, in fact, running IDES-2 software and still getting "time-out" errors, then you may be running into buffer support problems from the USB-MIDI adapter "Class Compliant" driver.  Your only way around this is if the USB-MIDI adapter manufacturer offers a "full support" driver that can be installed in lieu of the built-in "Class Compliant" driver, or you need to find a USB-MIDI adapter that is NOT "Class Compliant" (That may be difficult these days.) and comes with an installable driver that supports the full MIDI Spec.

I saw mention above of the M-Audio MIDI Sport.  A Bing search turned up a lot of hits for "MIDI Sport drivers", so that tells me that it is either not "Class Compliant", or that M-Audio has already recognized the need for optional drivers, so that may be the ultimate solution to this entire IDES-2/WK-3000 dilema.

As an interim workaround, if you are only getting timeout errors when transferring large numbers of small files (rhythms, voices, etc) between the PC and the WK-3000's User Memory, cut back on the number of files you are trying to transfer at one time.  Because of the "Class Compliant" driver limitations, if I try to send 100 files from my PC to my WK-7500, I get no error messages, but 14, 15, or 16 files consistently just get lost, and I end up with only 84 or 85 or 86 files at the other end, and that is with a direct USB-to-USB connection.  Others have reported intermittent timeout errors on various actions.  For me, I just limit my file transfers to no more than 15 files at a time.

Good luck !

Hey thanks Ted, just came across this post out of curiosity and it clarified the difficulties i experienced with these USB/midi computer cables and the PX350. I guessed my problems were being caused by lack of buffer memory-a problem I hadn't experienced in a long time with standard midi din cables and more recent Windows midi drivers but was experiencing with the USB to computer "class compliant" driver. And I am again guessing that the IDES programs, needing quite a bit of buffer memory to transfer large sysex files are giving some of us trouble.

I noticed this with the XW-P1 using the USB to computer connection-it definitely had trouble transferring complete banks of sounds, performances and package files in one pass from the computer to the XW with the XW data manager and again i could only guess it was due to the necessary use of the class complaint driver. Sorry off topic here but that's sometimes how i find solutions-by reading about other's difficulties!

Jokeyman

NO !  You are not off-topic at all !  This is a really big issue with iPad users trying to do keyboard-DAW integration with their iPads.  The iPad is locked into the Class (CORE MIDI) Compliant drivers, but DAW integration relies heavily on very large/complex Sysex messages for some of the controls, so there are some really frustrated iPad owners out there.  To make it worse, there is not a hard "line-in-the-sand" division between what will or will not work.  What works for one person will not work for another, even though they have identical set ups, or what works one time for one person will not work the next, again with the same set up.  This is why Yamaha and Roland now offer optional "full support" drivers for their models that hype DAW integration.  I don't know about Yamaha, but the Rolands now require you to make a MIDI menu set up selection as to whether you want it to connect to a Class Compliant or proprietary full support driver.  So far, I have not been able to determine if it is a buffer SIZE problem or just lack of proper flow control, but buffer overflow is the end result.  The worst is when you do not get a discrete error message, and just find out later that you lost a bunch of data in the transfer.  So that everyone understands, these problems are not unique to Casio, but it tends to appear that way because Casio relies so heavily (or exclusively for many models) on Class Compliant USB-MIDI.  I think it is obvious that the people that designed the "Class Compliant" drivers are not keyboard people, but rather, computer operating system people who have no concept of DAW integration and totally underestimated the interest in it.  I think they thought we all would have thrown away our keyboards by now, and would be playing our PC's and tablets like Steinways, Bosendorfers, Teli's, Strats, and Stradivarius's (Stradivarii ?).

As for the CTK/WK-7XXX units, when Casio went from Data Manager 6.0 to 6.1 for better audio support and pulled the 6.0 version and everybody blew away their original 6.0, the new 6.1 increased the timeout error problem about 10 fold, but Casio has yet to address that.  Thank the Maker that I kept a copy of my 6.0 Data Manager.

Glad you found this of some help.